New Gp2x F-200

will this F-200 have wi-fi support??, i think that's more important than a touch screen.

also how stable is overclocking, don't want to buy a new model with a maximum of 240 mhz :(

pipilio said:
Sorry my English is very bad. :p
The boot time of the GP2X with the new firmware.
Thanks Blah. The second question is the best. XD
Well unless GPH did something really stupid with the boot scripts, the boot time should be about the same as the current GP2X, which is around 5 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah said:
pipilio said:
Sorry my English is very bad. :p
The boot time of the GP2X with the new firmware.
Thanks Blah. The second question is the best. XD
Well unless GPH did something really stupid with the boot scripts, the boot time should be about the same as the current GP2X, which is around 5 seconds.

Its more than twice that.

It figures GPH would replace a joystick that sucks for a dpad that sucks. I roll my eyes at them and hope they fix it.

Don't they have anybody to TEST these improvements before they announce them and show them off to the tens of people who are attending the show? (I hope it picks up!)

Blah said:
I thought it was more like 15 seconds (rough guess) for the GPH firmware?

Khan said:
Hey ED, how does the new screen fare with the MK2 one? Better quality and viewing angle?

Same screen as MK2, just with touchscreen.

I wonder if they plan to add small improvements to the final polished product (like built-in TV-out)
*HINT* *HINT* *HINT* :p

Nope, they won't

gp2xs said:
Could you please describe/review the dpad in more detail?
Thanks.

Well, as you can see, basically four buttons.
At the moment, they go too far in, so you always hang in the piece if case in the middle of the DPad.
If the buttons won't go in that far in the final version, it's very well usable.

sehs33 said:
ED, any place to hide the stylus?

Nope, but it's a telescope stylus which can be easily attached with a string.
If it's not pulled out, it's about 3cm long.

pipilio said:
Anything about RTC????
With the add of the touch screen a RTC is needed. (PDA software) :p

No RTC.

stormyandcold said:
ED, are you any good at street fighter 2, 3, alpha 1-2-3. xmen vs sf, art of fighting 3 etc?

I'm no fighter gamer, sorry. I only tried some hard parts of Cave Story, which works, but your thumb hurts afterwards. Can be fixed as described above.

Are diagonals hard to do in general? (important for precise lower blocking and many of the moves)

Hard to say at the moment, as the simulation of diagonals (yes, it simulates diagonals when you press two buttons at once) isn't finished yet.

Maybe the D-pad needs to be a bit smaller in size?

I think so, too, but that's not possible anymore.

Whats the travel distance on the actual d-pad buttons? 1, 2 or 3mm?

Well, more like 3 - 4mm at the moment, as said, faaar too much.

Please get them to fix this major "problem" before mass production! It's the 1 thing that would make quite a few of us re-buy the gp2x and makes recommending a lot easier!

I know. And I'm trying. The only thing that can be changed is the travel distance (they can't change the case anymore) which should make the DPad A LOT better!

Blah said:
He means either "how long does it take for the firmware to boot up?" or a rhetorical question somewhere along the lines of "How many different revisions of the GP2X is GPH going to make before they finally ditch it?"

Bootup time is about the same as with FW 2.1.1

shinra said:
will this F-200 have wi-fi support??, i think that's more important than a touch screen.

Nope, it doesn't have. Would have added about 20 USD to the final retail price.

also how stable is overclocking, don't want to buy a new model with a maximum of 240 mhz :(

Well, with some prototypes where most don't even work with batteries, I'm not sure I should test that ;)
It wouldn't be reliable.

Last edited:
shinra said:

Nope, it doesn't have. Would have added about 20 USD to the final retail price.

I think I speak for most people here when I say:

I would have happily paid $20 extra for wifi support. ;)

I would have paid $1 for a battery for the RTC.
MMSP2 have a integrated RTC.
Only need a battery to work.

Please speak with Gamepark to add RTC support. :(

My ultimate hand held street fighter machine dream isnt looking good but at least the d-pad can be fixed..."starts praying" :p

btw, good news re the screen being the same as mk2, is it still upside down though?

How many playable characters are there in Blood Cross?

no, there just not making it easier with a simple plug like on the new psp or video cameras. You still have to do it the old way with an external port tv out cable, then a converter so ittl actually plug into a tv, then possibly an svideo to composite adapter if your tv doesnt have svideo and maybe even a small wire to connect two holes on the svideo so it doesn't show up grayscale.

namco said:
I think I speak for most people here when I say:
I would have happily paid $20 extra for wifi support. wink.gif
So would I, and much more for hardware 3D chip and li-ion battery. In fact, i'm ready to push 300$ if it's for the ultimate Linux open-source handled console we need to never need Nintendo/Sony & Co anymore ! As a developer, I don't want to be thrown back and restricted to "hack homebrew" on DS or so.
Open-source game should now be free to live side by side with commercial ones, on those devices that don't need to be more powerful.
IMO, a handled console is something reliable because I think there's performance limit to what is useful for it, and with tiny 3D chips, even at less than 1 million polygon, it's already reached.

I'm interested in the F200 for it's touchscreen, and I was a lot for it's d-pad (*** the space between buttons !), because I nearly can't play with the default stick on MK2 (what I do is to remove the "head" so that I can push it at the extreme left and it works, but hurts...).
However, I might buy one F200 to share it with my little brother (*good excuse*) and enjoy developing things for the touch screen (*true reason*).

Finally, be sure that even if I'll buy this F200 (60% of chances), I'll support and I'll immediately buy the Craig/Evildragon-ator anyway, even for 300$ I swear. I want an open-source device developers and gamers can rely on, and I believe in it.
;) :)

You should all be happy that the dpad is most likely easier to fix than the F-100 joystick. GPH isn't going to change shit about anything. To them, prototype = final production build.

Back