New And Improved Unified Xgp Design Poll

Hirolaser posted on Sep 23 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
For the XGPmini I say Gamepark should make it their emulation handheld and go for the samsung S3C2460 chip with all its specifications, 266Mhz CPU, D pad, 96MB, a 3.5 inch screen (same size as the GP2X) of resolution 320x240, AAbatteries,open source and linux obviously and that's about it for emulation and develop the XGP for commercial games ,3D, gps, wifi, TV tuner etc.

Then it wouldn't be a "Mini"

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Sep 23 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
Hirolaser posted on Sep 23 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
For the XGPmini I say Gamepark should make it their emulation handheld and go for the samsung S3C2460 chip with all its specifications, 266Mhz CPU, D pad, 96MB, a 3.5 inch screen (same size as the GP2X) of resolution 320x240, AAbatteries,open source and linux obviously and that's about it for emulation and develop the XGP for commercial games ,3D, gps, wifi, TV tuner etc.

Then it wouldn't be a "Mini"

That's my point they should forget all this mini business, make it the same size as GP2X for the bigger 320x240 screen for emulators (but keep the XGP widescreen with analog controller for movies, commercial games etc. if they want to go down that route) but I doubt they will make these changes to the "mini" though, it would be great if they did. Anyway if they don't I am not that bothered as we still have the GP2X with some excellent emulators and with the huge community and dev support things can only get better.

I am sure Gamepark would change the of the "mini" name to something more appropriate if they did

Then they will name it "GP2X", which in what you described would pretty much have the same specs as the XGP. Smart.

If it has the same size as a GP2X but entirely different hardware inside, it's not a GP2X. The XGP most recent prototype looks a bit like a PSP, but the hardware's not at all similar... :p

but didnt you know? everything that will support emulation is a gp2x clone! gamepark invented emulation! read your history books people. B)

I've done a little searching with the popular distributors and other websites to see if the S3C2460 has been used anywhere but I didn't find anything. I wonder if this chip is only available as engineering samples still and no final silicon even exists yet?

Are there any PDAs or phones with this chip in it already and I just couldn't find them? If not, that could delay the XGP if they plan on using it (which they should to avoid the possibility of a glorified GP2X).

EDIT: I guess the website says it is in mass production. I just can't find it anywhere!

They're used in some PDAs and Smartphones apparently, from what I've seen. Now, just how common the exact model is to be used, I'm not sure-- models with 3D acceleration are still not often found in mainstream consumer devices since not much 3D software to support them exists. PDAs like Dell's Axim x50v's are among the few. Samsung's S3C SoC series' success in other systems however lends proof to that it would form the basis for a fine handheld.

I voted as such:
Samsung 480x272 (XGP) 320x240 (mini... its a mini it should be idk maybe smaller...)

NES Style D-Pad on Both (needs to have a push though)
128 XGP 64 Mini
Radio/RF
XGP Only on WiFi
Linux
Lithium Ion
Hardware Hardware

So, in a sense I pretty much voted on the XGP side for an open source PSP, and thats what I want. The PSP could easily of topped the any of these systems except they made the flaw of not embracing the homebrew scene. If GamePark can do this and even just nag a few obsecure Asian devlopers and not care to much to cater to EU/US Devs (EA Ubisoft Activision etc...) they could at the very least push in as a very close 3rd in the Handgeld market.

Lupin posted on Sep 30 2006 at 03:13 AM said:
NES Style D-Pad on Both (needs to have a push though)
I don't know many people who really got attached to pushing the GP2X stick, but for a D-Pad you'd probably have to settle for a software solution where multiple directions pushed forms a 'press' of the pad.. unless GP wants to engineer some weird custom pushable D-Pad, which I kind of doubt they want to do (they cite a reason for using a D-Pad as lower cost, this'd probably make it cost more than analog.)

Lupin posted on Sep 30 2006 at 03:13 AM said:
If GamePark can do this and even just nag a few obsecure Asian devlopers and not care to much to cater to EU/US Devs (EA Ubisoft Activision etc...) they could at the very least push in as a very close 3rd in the Handgeld market.
Well, there's not really any competition unless MS produces a rumored handheld, I suppose. But from what I hear from ED, Korea doesn't have that much of a game market compared to the US/Europe, Japan's batty over the DS and I couldn't really see GP being able to make much of a big splash in the US. Europe, maybe, since the GP32 was huge there and the GP2X is making it big as well. But it'll probably still remain a fairly underground platform.

I guess I'll add my opinion to the pot...

I don't mind what resolution the XGP has, I don't actually mind having a smaller actual screen for emulation, especially if extra info can be displayed.

I really want a touchscreen, and I don't mind paying for it, it would have many advantages for web browsing, scummvm, and anything else that uses a mouse.
It also leaves the homebrew scene open to endless possibilities.
I also thought about using a touchscreen based solution for systems with lots of buttons, either the simple button-on-screen, or perhaps some kind of button swapping menu...

I like the convenience of AAs, but if 2AA isn't going to give me at least 4 hours, I would rather have a Li-Ion (I would want a good battery life out of one, though)

EDIT: Controllers...
At first I wanted an analouge stick, but if they get it wrong it could cripple the system. And I remember Craig's warning that emulation with analouge is like "playing snooker with a rope"
If they use a D-Pad, it will be good for anything 2D, and won't be too bad for 3D either.

Back