New and Improved Case Color Poll

What color do you want your Pyra case to be?

• I don't care

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • Dark Grey

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Off-White or Beige

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • White

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Dark Red

Votes: 30 21.9%
  • Dark Blue

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Dark Purple

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Clear

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

If ED feels the output of these threads isn't enough, he can start his own thread when he knows what colours can be made. Until he knows that it's a little early for him to get involved - he doesn't really want to end up supporting a colour combination that turns out to be too expensive and difficult to reproduce reliably.

Given the forum colors and the color of the render posted to the Pyra main page, I suspect ED may be fond of the dark red Pyra. But I may be reading something into that.

So who cares what some hack company does, we are better than that.
With regards to the logo design you're actually far, far worse than any of the companies you've mentioned. The Pyra's "dp" logo looks like a tramp stamp, or the kind of tribal tattoo you typically find on some chav's lower leg. I would pay money to get rid of this abomination on delivery.

Honestly not too much of a fan of the Logo myself, I felt like I got pidgin-holed into several bad choices during voting. I'll most likely 3D print something of my own design.

I don't mind the logo itself - in moderation. But, no, not a fan of having it 40mm tall with metal trim as a dominant feature of the back of the device. I prefer logos and what not to either be absent or subtle. I don't mind the "ThinkPad" logo in the corner. I'm not a fan of having a giant piece of glowing fruit or post-apocalyptic font dead center on the back lid. Maybe it won't be so bad. Maybe a polycarbonate case colored piece could be made that fits the spot but is thin enough for the LEDs to shine through?

We'll see if it's all that bad though. It may be more subtle in reality than it is in my mind.

Off-White or Beige is showing itself to be a popular choice, very much so in comparison to how many off-white or beige products have been released. An acquired taste in retro computers perhaps?

The logo can be removed. Knowing its not for everyone, replacing it is a very viable option.

No matter what color is chosen, I hope the inside stays matt black. Just like the NDS below

Actually, as per the NDS below, I would suggest that only the top of the lid be colored. Only one molded part would then have color options, still looks pretty awesome to boot.

Also, depending on how the top of the lid is held on, if it's simple enough to replace, ED could also sell replacement tops with different colors. By the looks of it , the top of the lid looks like it would come off by removing the 4 screws - if its that simple (ED to confirm) it should be doable.

129508-13.jpg
red1.jpg

Last edited:
What about a logo replacement like a hollow lense filled with a fluid (probably oil) and some reflective and some prism-like particles floating freely in it - talking 'bout light show.

Honestly not too much of a fan of the Logo myself, I felt like I got pidgin-holed into several bad choices during voting.
Don't sweat it.

I'll most likely 3D print something of my own design.
If there won't be any alternative cover from the casemaker, might you offer your 3D-printed design for sale if there's interest? If one could easily change this part that is, i.e. just replacing the top cover and not the whole case. Any educated guesses about material and costs at hand?

@EvilDragon Could the logo inlet still be designed to be easily replaceable, by maybe being clipped on or with double-sided sticky tape?
That would cater to those, who don't have the distinguished taste to appreciate the given logo, and to the customizers and individualists.
Plus it opens up a business opportunity. You could sell replacements of various kinds - and if you go with pre-shaped double-sided sticky-tape you'd be the one to provide them. And if the sticky tape ain't too good, everybody would need to buy some, every now and then. (Well, or cut their own.)

As to the logo: I would vote for having the logo plate (aluminium, I think) simply not glued in, as in in not assambled. o veryone can decite to weather clue the original logo in or mode one by semselves.
An other solution would be to have it screwed from the backsite and have holes in the PCB for the screw heads (since the LCD PCB is object to change anyway.
-> can somebody hint me to the currend Blender files of the lid (including the logo)? Then I could make some modifications to visualize what I mean.

Even without the logo plate wouldn't you still have the translucent insert that has the logo shape? I was thinking it wouldn't be too expensive to get a new plate made. It is that other piece that would make this a bit much for me to bother with just to change the logo.

I'm not sure at the moment, that's why I want to look into the blender files to have an idea how much work it is. Main idea is to have the opportinity to tinker around a bit, which you have when the logo plate comes unassambled. Maybe I have some time later on to make little sketch about the screw idea of the logo (even if it's only to have the PCB in the richt shape to do it later on.)
As to the inlay, I guess it's only a question to find the according lasercutter settings or to mill it with a small CNC milling machine. (once the workflow is figured out, I might be easy to do)

Depending on the measurments of the logo plate and the insert piece it might be possible to sand or trim down the logo piece and just have a flat insert. That may not work, or look really bad with a custom made plate, and pocket fuzz and stuff must get stuck in there. If it would work it might be possible to drill holes in each corner and use a screw and nut to hold the plate on instead of glue, but that depends on the how that part of the case is designed. I would like the look of the screws (instead of having them inside the case where they can't be appreciated), so that is why I was considering how to do all this.

As for the case files, maybe take a look at the "spectrum" of case colors thread. I don't remember the actual title. I think those files came from before ED decided to switch to using the aluminum plate, so I don't know helpful they will be for what you want to do.

A few dollars in material for the 3D-print.
Many more dollars labour and servicing the machine

Fairly easy once you have 3D-models, and I think the case-files will be opened.
Then the cost of 3D-modeling, which is dragging a 2D logo to where it cuts into the material. Making sure that is rigid.
The void could be filled with clear or white-transparent silicone.

All in all I think 30-40$ would do with a little profit left over it if there were a few takers.

Designing the whole thing depending on case-colour can be a challenge. Colour-matching is very hard.
Getting a aesthetic unity out of it, with custom everything down to the OS and stickers, is also a challenge.

I don't want something 3D printed, and I am not that concerned about everything matching. The logo on most computers does not match what is going in the OS, and so on.

What I have in mind should be much less than $40. If it comes close to that price it isn't worth it to me.

Do you know what would be really great? Did anyone buy Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero album, which changed when you ejected it from the CD player after playing it for a while (or just holding it to a heat source really). Well, imagine if the Pyra was a dark red, but covered with a thermal black paint that turned clear as it warmed up. The Pyra would go from black to red during use.

Do you know what would be really great? Did anyone buy Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero album, which changed when you ejected it from the CD player after playing it for a while (or just holding it to a heat source really). Well, imagine if the Pyra was a dark red, but covered with a thermal black paint that turned clear as it warmed up. The Pyra would go from black to red during use.
The Pale Emperor by Marilyn Manson had the same (as well as having the underside dark, like early PS discs), and went from black to white. I would rather avoid paint, but it might be interesting if something can be added to the plastic. I highly doubt that is feasible since glow in the dark isn't.

The Pale Emperor by Marilyn Manson had the same (as well as having the underside dark, like early PS discs), and went from black to white. I would rather avoid paint, but it might be interesting if something can be added to the plastic. I highly doubt that is feasible since glow in the dark isn't.

Through my conversations with ED, my glow in the dark idea is mechanically feasible, but there would have to be enough made and sold to cover (plus profit) the materials (large MOQ) and set up expenses - which winds up being roughly $3K-$5K. The actual materials that go into the molds cost a fraction of the molds themselves, but has very large minimum order quantity requirements - like color/dye in a 250KG bag. Anyway, spread over a 5000 case run that drops down to $1-$2 materials & time cost per case (not counting mold dev). Now, with the truly custom option, making 1 case, that one case could cost $5K to make.

I know there is this dream of having cases made in 3-5 different colors and allowing people to pick and maybe a few truly custom colors and... Doubling the number of colors effectively doubles the cost of case production.

I suspect that there will likely be -2- case colors. Clear (pre-production) used in case mold development and whatever color ED uses in production (likely dark red (guessed from forum colors and render on the main page)).

Now, if for some reason Pyra sales go crazy and ED buzzes through the first 5000 cases in a blink and feels the need to order 10000 more, maybe then he orders 2 colors?

Last edited:
And then there would be an important difference between using colors/additives, that needed purchasing especially for ED's orders, and those that the manufacturer might have in stock regardless of ED. With the letter the MOQ should be much lower. Then it would only be needed to consider, how many units should be produced in one run, to call it efficient in regard to preparation.

@EvilDragon Does the manufacturer have such standard option? What would they be? And what are their MOQs?

FWIW, I tend to be in favour of a replaceable logo plate, that was not glued in, but held in some other way. For one thing, glue tends to fail after about a decade of storage in my experience, and I'll probably be keeping mine that long. For another, 0.5 millimeter aluminium sheeting is not expensive, and it's not hard to cut, drill or file in into any shape for anyone who wants to personalise their unit

Back