Never Reboot The Panda?

Mr.Gonzo said:
I'm not a linux connoisseur but this might be nice.

read this

free for ubuntu users!

Truthfully outside a server environment I don't see the point of this. Not to mention $4 dollars a month.. No thanks I can deal with rebooting my computer when updating a kernel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux computers dont need to be rebooted that often at all. I think I rebooted my comp latest time some time previous month. I probs reboot it less than each 2 months.

Rebooting probably wont be a problem for the pandora since its running linux.

lootic said:
Linux computers dont need to be rebooted that often at all.

neither do windows computers. my best uptime is something like 7 months. i rarely reboot more than once in 4/5 months.

gibberish said:
neither do windows computers. my best uptime is something like 7 months. i rarely reboot more than once in 4/5 months.
Did you never apply any updates? Seems there's a new update that requires a reboot at least once a month.

WizardStan said:
gibberish said:
Did you never apply any updates? Seems there's a new update that requires a reboot at least once a month.

manually, once every 4/5 months :)

Same here. Did some tweaking that required reboots after I bought my new lappy, and I'm currently somewhere between two and three months uptime. Posting on gp32x takes mere 5 seconds maximum :D Win7 is rotting on the shelf untouched. I don't have any ambition to spend time with my computer aside from actually using it right now.

gibberish said:
Admitting that you're computer does not have the last 4/5 months worth of patches probably isn't as good an idea as you think it is ;)

well, i'm pretty sure in the first months the panda will need lots of updates.

And since it's free for ubuntu ( isn't panda ubuntu? ) i thought it would've bin a nice addition to those i-don't-know-anything-about-linux-and-i-don't-wish-to-learn people.
A sweet little extra to make it even more appealing to a wider audience.

but maybe i'm just craaaaazy.

Mr.Gonzo said:
but maybe i'm just craaaaazy.
You can be both right and crazy.
In this case you're just crazy :D

WizardStan said:
Admitting that you're computer does not have the last 4/5 months worth of patches probably isn't as good an idea as you think it is ;)
It's fine if it's isn't connected to the internet :)

Then again, I've not installed any updates in the last year or so. I've installed the main service packs (1,2,3) gradually over time, but I never bother with Windows update. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I've seen too many "Our hotfix broke some feature, here's a fix for the fix".

Of course, my PC isn't directly connected to the internet either - it's on it's own internal network, and uses a proxy for internet access (a SheevaPlug, which IS directly connected to the 'net)

WizardStan said:
gibberish said:

perhaps, but i've never experienced anything malicious since i built my first pc in 2000.
anyway, sorry for derailing the thread somewhat...

gibberish said:
perhaps, but i've never experienced anything malicious since i built my first pc in 2000.
anyway, sorry for derailing the thread somewhat...
The point is that it's not a reasonable comparison. In order to get your months of uptime in Windows, you have to willfully neglect updating your system, whether it's a routine or security patch.
In linux, the only time you ever really need to reboot is when you update the kernel, which generally only happens once every few months, and even then it's usually routine updates and not security patches, so you don't need to apply them right away. Everything else can be patched and individually restarted without having to reboot the entire system.
Ksplice is the final step: patching the kernel in memory! For $4 a month, you don't even need to reboot for kernel updates. The argument is that this happens so rarely, it's not really a problem for the average user, only for those that handle multi-user servers. Telling a user they've lost their work because they didn't heed the huge freakin' "we'll be shutting down over the weekend for a kernel upgrade" is never a pleasure.
I lie, it's great fun informing them that it was them who screwed up and having huge amounts of email evidence to support it. :)

Well, desktops and notebooks are different than the Pandora. You don't need to worry about rebooting on your home PC/laptop, when it says reboot is required hit 'later' and shut it down when not in use, no reboot required.

The Pandora uses so little power that you don't need to shut it off so rebooting is an annoyance.

That is how I feel anyway, I used to leave my computer on 24/7 but with energy prices now I can't afford to.

atomicthumbs said:
Pandora: high availability computing in the palm of your hand
lol'd

FYI ksplice is opensource and "ksplice uptrack" is just a service providing the ksplice'd patches to customers.
If the pandora developers (or someone else interested enough) wanted to provide ksplice updates to the pandora kernel,
the updates could be totally for free.

I guess this is the n^2+1th entry in their nice-to-have todolist :p

Back