Netbooks Are Better

Your seriously the first person to ever post this idea here b1ueskycomp1ex. Congrats

Whats the cost of the notebook?
Given the choice Ill take the Pandora any day.
Craig.
PS
I have a Kojhinsha? mini laptop which does nothing but browse the net and is great but has never ever played a game. I could have installed emu but I dont think it feels the same.

On top of this in the three weeks Ive had my Pandora the laptop has never been turned on!!
Sorry for the double post.

CraigW said:
I have a Kojhinsha? mini laptop which does nothing but browse the net and is great but has never ever played a game. I could have installed emu but I dont think it feels the same.

I'm there with you on this... I was considering the following options for a mini-computing/gaming platform and ultimately decided on the Pandora mainly due to the integrated gaming controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
1) Trolling, and
+1

skeezix said:
Netbooks _are_ awesome; does anyone alive think otherwise?

I do. Netbooks are fancy useless stuff IMHO. You need a small notebook - then buy something like Thinkpad X200/X201, which has really powerful CPU, fullsized keyboard, awesome docking station, etc etc. And it's just a little bit heavier than EEE-like devices.

skeezix said:
Well, personally I find them impractical, but I'm not daft enough to think that everybody else has that issue. :p

skeezix said:

To be honest I don't see what the big draw to a netbook is. The only thing that I can really see is their portability and their battery life. If you buy a 3rd-party or larger cell battery for the EEE PC online, you can easily get around 5 hours on a single charge, which I think is fairly nice for a laptop. As much as I hate to be doing it, I'll quote steve jobs (which is ironically the only suggested video that goes with mine - watch it!) in saying that "netbooks aren't better at anything". Yes, they'll save you a lot of space in your backpack in comparison to a larger, more full-featured laptop, but they don't do anything profound. I do like the fact that I can carry it around with me in different sized bags than a laptop, and it's much lighter, but that's about it. If I'm going somewhere I'll probably bring it with me because of the wifi and because it can run some emulators - yes - but as for it replacing a device like the pandora? No way. The pandora actually has MORE functionality and features than a netbook in an even smaller form factor, which I think is really amazing.

I switched from netbook to CULV subnotebook. They offer the same portability and add some more oomph performance-wise. My Aspire One is only used as a backup and dedicated LastFM player in my workshop, now.

I got my EEE PC 900 as a freebie with some small issues, so I'm pretty happy with it. Would I have spent the money to get one otherwise? Probably Definitely not.

I think low powered x86 chips(Atom) are a fad as they are not really getting any better. Other architectures(ARM) will always be ahead of them, the only thing that makes them better is combining them with a better GPU because if you try to add cores or speed to the current low power x86 chips(Atom) they start sucking power badly. I just feel that some chip companies(Intel) just want to enter a segment that they really are not suited to. Why don't these companies(Intel) just put research and development into batteries so they don't have to develop these crappy chips(Atom)?

Anyway, I could tell you were trying to be funny before I read the edit saying you were.

May be because developping batteries is a hard job. Electric cars are pushing batteries limits. Once these happen to reach some higher capacity, we will see the result in handheld and "portable".

Oh and intel is just tryng to stay revellant :
- home desktop PC are dying (ipad and a-like)
- servers are moving to intel, but looking at the trend in 10years we will be moving away from intel to ARM or some RISC (loongson, i'm looking at you)
- even in the working space, people work more and more on the go (blackberry...)
The only reason they are still revelent is the wintel duopoly and microsoft try to move away...

I had a raon everun note, but the battery usage was beyond awful. It ran a dual AMD64 and you get like 1 hour, plus the battery still drains while the thing is off. Otherwise, it was pretty sweet. Pocketable and powerful. The little nub they use for a mouse is genius. Easier to use than a trackpad and takes up less space. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on to other netbooks yet.

The standard Atom was more or less an accident, and not meant to be competitive to ARM. It's just a very low cost, low performance chip that was placed against Via back then, IIRC. The hype following the original eee-pc was completely unexpected.

Moorestown on the other hand is quite interesting.

crade said:
The little nub they use for a mouse is genius. Easier to use than a trackpad and takes up less space. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on to other netbooks yet.
It probably won't. Just as the utterly dire trackpad in all its guises superseded TrackPoints as a common pointing device on laptops (I fondly remember my Toshiba Satellite having one of these, way back in 1998 - all of the machines I looked at offered either a TrackPoint, or less commonly an in-built trackball, in fact), presumably because it's cheaper, so too this will not catch on. It's a big shame.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
You open pandora guys think your device is so much better than say, a netbook. I made a video that will totally disprove your "theories", proving that a netbook is a much better device than the pandora:

Edit: This is just up here for a laugh. I'd get rid of this thing for a pandora instantly. :p

You are cool!

Steve

Prometheus said:
crade said:
The little nub they use for a mouse is genius. Easier to use than a trackpad and takes up less space. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on to other netbooks yet.
It probably won't. Just as the utterly dire trackpad in all its guises superseded TrackPoints as a common pointing device on laptops (I fondly remember my Toshiba Satellite having one of these, way back in 1998 - all of the machines I looked at offered either a TrackPoint, or less commonly an in-built trackball, in fact), presumably because it's cheaper, so too this will not catch on. It's a big shame.

Actually it seems that the most popular and pocketable x86 laptop devices are using similar trackpads. Particularly the UMID mbooks and the Viliv N5. The battery life of these devices are in the 4-6 hour ranges. As far as actual performance as a gaming machine, I cannot say. From what I gather the Atom is all about power savings rather than performance. Also these machines are usually running a Windows OS. The ONLY plus that I see with these is that an x86 platform will have a lot of established emulators already working.

I don't keep up with x86 devices (they're mostly pre-installed with Microsoft Windows, which I have no interest in, so I have no reason to do so :p), but I was referring to a nub, not a touchpad. ;)

An old keyboard I had came with a built in trackball. Tiny thing but worked fabulous: wasn't any bigger than a track pad. I wish they used more of these.

^ Sorry, the "nub" I was refering to on the raon is different than the trackpoints.
It's more like an upside-down mouse than anything else.
It looks like this:
http://www.umpcportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/image21-thumb.jpg
it's really easy to use I found.
Of course there is probably some retarded patent issue that will keep them from ever being used again :)

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
You open pandora guys think your device is so much better than say, a netbook. I made a video that will totally disprove your "theories", proving that a netbook is a much better device than the pandora:

Edit: This is just up here for a laugh. I'd get rid of this thing for a pandora instantly. :p
[/quote

Back