Neogeo Is Now Working!

nice avatar! ;)

no, i don't think zip will fix anything. the emus that run zipped games, unzip them before running i think. the neogeo roms still get loaded into memory

But, what are the sizes of some of the other Zipped NeoGeo Roms? I mean like I said the largest one I have (granted I dont have a lot) is Mark of the wolves which is only more than 36mb because I have two sets for it adding up to about 70mb everything else I have in zip is like between 3 and 20mb, just how much could these games have been compressed?

good compression?
in any case, uncompressed, games like Garou take mad space and need plenty of ram or good virtual memory.
i wouldn't mind burning up some SDs to play Garou on a handheld ;)

All this talk on compression got me thinking and searching. Then I hit this http://linuxcompressed.sourceforge.net/ - now of course this is less than ideal (lacking smp support is all but a deal breaker) but it gets the ball rolling.

Now taking pieces of software that are already out there and warping them to our needs, gave me this ludicrous ideas, there's a hint of substance here so maybe someone smarter then I can take this idea and run with it.

Upon booting the GP2X establish a RAM disk using 56mb of the 64mb of the available RAM.
Format the RAM disk using a compressed file system such as zisofs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zisofs)
Code the emulator to use the RAM disk as swap, assuming a generous 40% ratio that would give us about 86mb of space to work with. Unfortunately Garou needs about 110mb

couple that with some other tricks like trimming the intro from the rom, and maybe some dynamic loading--- maybe just maybe....

naw there is better stuff than that, look at little deeper. add reduce disk latency/swap to your search

LHC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 06:42 PM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 06:44 PM said:
It is frame skipping ALOT that is why it is so choppy.  It is like FS5 or something.  That is without sound too.  With sound it would run at like FS12 or something.  Not too useable yet.  As I said it will need all ASM to run at any playable speed.  Nice tech demo though.
It's more than just a tech demo.

barely.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:29 AM said:
barely.

Yes he's only pertending to play that game. I do hope that for you sake its just a video

junker posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:41 AM said:
how is it a mere tech demo??
we need garou.......... GAROOUUU

Because it is too choppy to play and it doesn't have sound. If sound was added it would be even choppier. To me it is only a tech demo. If you like playing it that way then it is more I guess.

aerofighters didn't look THAT bad, and you have to take the crappy low fps camera that was used into account when judgeing that video. everything was choppy, not just the emulation.

DaveC posted on Oct 19 2005 at 02:44 AM said:

Because it is too choppy to play and it doesn't have sound. If sound was added it would be even choppier. To me it is only a tech demo. If you like playing it that way then it is more I guess.

let me think dave how can a 2CPU help with the sound esp when they are compessed

The videos are to show that it's not just a few screen caps made to make it look like it's being worked on. Then people say the video is fake, man you can't please everyone ever! :p

But the thing that I wonder is if it's an AVI file being played in a media player wouldnt all that tapping on buttings eventually do something like pull up a player menu? or maybe pause the video? the select and start are for stop and play it seems so one of the face buttons could easily be a fast foward, rewind or a even the GUI, skip or pause button if the FF and REW are on the shoulders...

DaveC posted on Oct 18 2005 at 04:29 PM said:
icurafu posted on Oct 18 2005 at 04:26 AM said:
People in the korean forums tell me it runs slow, but it is being optimised. They are working on the memory controller to use virtual memory for the SD card.

Virtual memory as in writing cache files to the card? Bad idea, you will wear out the card in a few days ;) Limited writes you know.

No. Virtual Memory as in mmap()

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmap
http://burningsmell.org/SDL_mmap/

DaveC posted on Oct 19 2005 at 03:44 AM said:

I wouldn't call a quick port (probably coded in a few days too) a "tech demo". I'd call it a quick port. There's still plenty to be done, but if it can be easily improved, it's more than a tech demo.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 19 2005 at 03:16 AM said:
But the thing that I wonder is if it's an AVI file being played in a media player wouldnt all that tapping on buttings eventually do something like pull up a player menu? or maybe pause the video? the select and start are for stop and play it seems so one of the face buttons could easily be a fast foward, rewind or a even the GUI, skip or pause button if the FF and REW are on the shoulders...

Maybe he was just putting his fingers on the buttons but wasn't actually pressing them.

if its fake or not, a neogeo cd emu will come earlier or later. so i really dont care that much.
it would still be nice tho

PS: and if you want to make a fake emu video, then he would have used a better framerate for sure ...

Back