Need Titlescreen, Music And Sound Effects!

sam fisher said:
I just realised my version is clocked at 240 :p
Well, that's Fenix's little gift, isn't it? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder if there's a way around sdl's slowness when alpha-blending, say by doing a lookup table of sorts.

like if there's 10 different color circles, most of the time they'll be the right color, but when they overlap you could detect where the surfaces collide and change the color to what's in the lookup table. obviously there'd be a lot of things to lookup, but the fewer colors there were, the better, and you could ignore combinations of, say, 4 or more. also you'd have to use a solid color background (but maybe you could again do a lookup table or fixed point addition for that).

i have no idea if that would work or work fast enough but i'm just throwing it out there...maybe i'll code it up myself (in 70 years)

rokdcasbah said:
i wonder if there's a way around sdl's slowness when alpha-blending, say by doing a lookup table of sorts.

like if there's 10 different color circles, most of the time they'll be the right color, but when they overlap you could detect where the surfaces collide and change the color to what's in the lookup table. obviously there'd be a lot of things to lookup, but the fewer colors there were, the better, and you could ignore combinations of, say, 4 or more. also you'd have to use a solid color background (but maybe you could again do a lookup table or fixed point addition for that).

i have no idea if that would work or work fast enough but i'm just throwing it out there...maybe i'll code it up myself (in 70 years)
Good points but not really feasible, sry.

rokdcasbah said:
Nagelfar said:
Good points but not really feasible, sry.
oh, just wait 70 years like i said, then we'll see who's "sry", java-man.

:p

Yeah, probably on the GP3000 ;) Looking forward to it.

rokdcasbah said:

i use alook up table to cheat at angles :p

sam fisher said:
rokdcasbah said:

i use alook up table to cheat at angles :p

How do you connect angles and the alpha blending?! *confused*

i think the connection is just that the values are precalculated to avoid complicated math...in the case of angles you're skipping trig functions and in the case of alpha blending it'd be division (depending on whether your alpha blending needed division, i'm sure there's better ways with multiplication and fixed point conversions)

i wouldn't call it cheating though sam, just using the best method to get the job done. trig lookup tables sacrifice very little and give a ton of performance in return.

here's a tip that i think someone on the board gave me last year: you don't need 360 degrees. you just need to evenly split the circle. so you can go with something computer friendly like 256, and store the table in a smaller amount of memory. and if you're doing fixed point conversions it might make the bit-shifting easier to figure out.

Back