Need Titlescreen, Music And Sound Effects!

Nagelfar

I'll do this tonight for the GP2x:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;gopid=521791 as I think it is a really neat game and easy to implement.

I think I'll call it "Abstracto". (other/better suggestions welcome)

Anyone want to contribute a titlescreen or music or soundeffects? Check the flash game to get a general idea about gameplay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I already started porting this in fenix. I also have permission from the author and it's gonna be put on his official website, K2xl, as Boomshine Gp2x Edition. He actually makes money off that game, get permission to make a port unless you want to be sued :p

boomshinetv9.png

Screen Shot

sam fisher said:
I already started porting this in fenix. I also have permission from the author and it's gonna be put on his official website, K2xl, as Boomshine Gp2x Edition. He actually makes money off that game, get permission to make a port unless you want to be sued :p

boomshinetv9.png

Screen Shot
Sue my ass. :lol:

So you are the second one he mentioned, I figured it would be Alex. *g* I already talked to him and I said I would try to join forces with "the second guy" :)

How is the speed in Fenix?

lol, cool. Great minds think alive. Ruckage is also somewhat involved :) The speed is 30fps constant with any combination of 60 balls and explosions onscreen. It wasn't originally. Not back when we used scaling of the circles from higher res sprites, or realtime calculation of the trajectory movement. Now it uses a lookup table of x&y steps for 360 angles of motion and prerendered explosion sprites, generated by an explosion generator written in fenix by ruckage. The explosions run at 30FPS so it is pretty smooth. I'll put the current build up on here later.

Edit: I don't expect to have any major amount of time to spend on it for a week :( So it probably wont be worked on till then, I don't see any harm in having two versions, Just that if you implement something I havent, and I think its good, I will nick it :D

Edit2: There is certainly room for speed improvement in fenix by handling all the balls with one process, fenix equivelent of a function, etc and other things, but it may not be neccasarily.

sam fisher said:
Edit: I don't expect to have any major amount of time to spend on it for a week :( So it probably wont be worked on till then, I don't see any harm in having two versions, Just that if you implement something I havent, and I think its good, I will nick it :D
So far so very good, I'll give it a shot and post my versions here, too, nick whatever you want, let's see how this turns out :)

Nagelfar said:
I'll do this tonight for the GP2x:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;gopid=521791 as I think it is a really neat game and easy to implement.

I think I'll call it "Abstracto". (other/better suggestions welcome)

Anyone want to contribute a titlescreen or music or soundeffects? Check the flash game to get a general idea about gameplay!

I can source some music for you if you would like and also sounds, but you must tell me what you are looking for. I'll also see if I can whip up a title screen for you.

I started this idea the other day because I have never undertaken a project with a final overall goal and thought this would be good practice. I look forward to playing a build of your version and comparing it too mine. If you can pull off 60 balls/explosions on screen at once at 60fps, all power to you :) I wrote mine to be framerate independant. So I can set the framerate to 999 and it doesn't run out of sync :p I wonder if I can coax 40fps out of it...

That's very impressive, even more so for Fenix! Great job Sam :)

PS: get sued for copying a copied game? Haha, not bloody likely :p

norm said:
shibby - sounds awsome sam - and good luck nagelfar
Well, I have the first version finished, titlescreen, levels and instructions, done but hell it is slow, too slow for any real gameplay so far. Not yet sure if that is because of my shitty programming or because of SDLs shitty alphablending or whatnot :-/
Will try to debug/profile and see what I can come up with.

Alex. said:
If you want decent play, forget alpha blending!
I managed to get decent play, WITH alpha blending, in Fenix.... Seriously.

Edit: However that is without sound :S

Edit2: Proof of concept - It's not actually a game at all yet, just very proof of concept. Press B to explode the cursor, press A to explode any remaining balls and then exit.

Download

I haven't actually tested this one on 2x so something I have done may have affected performance. Much more likely in a negative way, as i have optimised it anymore yet :D

It runs at a steady 31fps, remarkable! This will be one hell of a game :)

To show what I got so far (running on PC):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LXy4Uy_-I

Looking good. As smooth as my original version. Good luck running that well on GP2x :D Still, as you are only using 90 degree angles that should cut calculation time. I'm avoiding a lot of angle calculations using a lookup which gives me a similar benefit, and 360 degrees of accuracy.

Nagelfar said:
To show what I got so far (running on PC):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1LXy4Uy_-I

I dont know how easy this would be to change but when the circles stop growing, the stop is really abrupt. If it could be more gradual i think it would look better.

Back