Release Navit

DAP, try using my XML file as a basis. It has some useful controls. I didn't test it yet with this port but it should work the same.

Zoom in and out can be used by buttons if you add them, they may be possibly allready in my XML, not sure anymore.

DAP, try using my XML file as a basis. It has some useful controls. I didn't test it yet with this port but it should work the same.

Zoom in and out can be used by buttons if you add them, they may be possibly allready in my XML, not sure anymore.
I just tried this without luck.

First I put the navit.xml file in appdata/navit, leaving my single line navit.xml in appdata/navit/maps

With this setup, navit did not see the new navit.xml file.

I then renamed my navit.xml to navit.xml.old, moved your navit.xml file to appdata/navit/maps.

I then edited your appdata/navit/maps to replace the line in the open street maps section with the line from my navit.xml file.

This time navit did not run.

The errors reported are:

navit:main_real:Error parsing config file 'navit.xml': Element 'config' within unexpected context 'mapset'. expected '' at line 10 char 1 at line 759, char 51

I'm finding this a bit confusing as the change I made was near line 380.

Also, I don't see the word 'config' at either line 10 or line 759.

I did a bit of research on PND files without much luck. I'm still trying to figure out what navit is using as its default navit.xml file when using my old one line navit.xml file. I thought it was saving its last position there, but I learned that it is saving state in appdata/navit/.navit instead.

edit: I think I figured out what is going on.

The navit.xml file contains an include of all of *.xml in the maps directory. If I put navit.xml in the maps directory, it screws up because it will try and include itself.

So, where do I put the navit.xml to override the one in the PND?

Last edited by a moderator:

The navit.xml file contains an include of all of *.xml in the maps directory. If I put navit.xml in the maps directory, it screws up because it will try and include itself.

Well, on Pandebian my navit.xml was located in /etc/navit/ but this is not correct for a .pnd port.

I'm sure Wizardstan should know where to put it best.

I just checked, Line 380 is exactly the line you need to change to point to your map file.

This page should explain that: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap

Well, on Pandebian my navit.xml was located in /etc/navit/ but this is not correct for a .pnd port.

I'm sure Wizardstan should know where to put it best.

I just checked, Line 380 is exactly the line you need to change to point to your map file.

This page should explain that: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OpenStreetMap
From looking at the navit.xml file, it looks like one does not have to edit the navit.xml file at all to add a map.

Instead it appears that one is intended to make a very small .xml file, one for each map, and dump it into the maps directory along with the map .bin file.

The .xml file can have any name, and needs to contain only the single line: <map type="binfile" data="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/your_map.bin" />

I'm not sure, but it may not even need the absolute path if the bin file is in the maps directory.

I think the issue I'm having now is entirely due to the navit.xml file being embedded in the PND, and my not knowing how to override it (or even if it is possible to override it).

Theoretically there should not be a reason to change it, but if you do want to override it it goes in appdata/navit/

That being said, before I understood the bit about the what the xml files in the maps folder were doing I had already changed and overridden the default navit.xml with these changes starting from line 758

<mapset enabled="no">
<xi:include href="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/*.xml"/>
</mapset>

<!-- Mapset template for openstreetmaps -->
<mapset enabled="yes">
<map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/*.bin"/>
</mapset>
- Neelix

Theoretically there should not be a reason to change it, but if you do want to override it it goes in appdata/navit/

That being said, before I understood the bit about the what the xml files in the maps folder were doing I had already changed and overridden the default navit.xml with these changes starting from line 758

<mapset enabled="no">
<xi:include href="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/*.xml"/>
</mapset>

<!-- Mapset template for openstreetmaps -->
<mapset enabled="yes">
<map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/*.bin"/>
</mapset>

- Neelix
Didn't work.

The reason I need to override the default is that there is no means on the Pandora to zoom in or zoom out (no mouse wheel).

It is supposed to be possible to change the UI of navit by editing the navit.xml file. I have seen pictures of navit with '+' and '-' buttons to zoom in & zoom out. see this: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Screenshots_gallery

There are also alternate UIs that can be enabled.

I tried putting the navit.xml in the appdata/navit directory, and changing the UI to GTK.

This did not have any affect. On my desktop, it causes the navit to claim that no GUI is enabled, and exit.

Perhaps the there is more to enabling the GTK gui than just editing the XML? I found a toggle for the GTK gui within the interface itself, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I know that overriding navit.xml by putting it in appdata/navit/ works because thats exactly how my maps are loaded.

- Neelix

Perhaps the there is more to enabling the GTK gui than just editing the XML? I found a toggle for the GTK gui within the interface itself, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I know that overriding navit.xml by putting it in appdata/navit/ works because thats exactly how my maps are loaded.

- Neelix
Where did you find the toggle for the GTK gui? There is a 2D/3D switch, that works, but that is not switching to GTK.

I've wondered the menus quite a few times without finding it.

I did an experiment. I intentionally broke the navit.xml in appdata/navit. I mismatched a start & end block in the XML. This should cause navit to at least generate an error message, and most likely exit.

navit ran without any error messages.

BTW I did find out where the default navit.xml gets placed: /mnt/utmp/navit I'm not sure I can edit the navit.xml file here, or that if I do, the edits will survive a reboot.

BTW I did find out where the default navit.xml gets placed: /mnt/utmp/navit I'm not sure I can edit the navit.xml file here, or that if I do, the edits will survive a reboot.
When a PND is mounted it goes to the /mnt/utmp directory (it isn't placed or copied or anything like that, that directory IS the PND), and then the appdata directory is overlaid on it: any files that are in the appdata directory SHOULD be used in the /mnt/utmp directory. If you edit any files in that directory they will then be saved back to the appdata directory. As an experiment, delete the navit.xml file you copied into the appdata/navit directory, then run the PND and edit the navit.xml in the /mnt/utmp/navit directory. It should save a copy back to the appdata/navit directory.

It won't if the file already was in the pnd. Thats some bug with aufs. If you make a copy of it in appdata, you can edit and save it.

Actually it doesn't matter if the file is in the PND, but if its within a subfolder in the PND the subfolder has to already exist in appdata.

- Neelix

I was finally able to cause navit to fail to run (I succeeded in breaking the navt.xml file, proving I could get my changes to have an affect).

I tried deleting my existing navit.xml file, and copying the one from /mnt/utmp/navit to appdata/navit & editing it to the point of an intentional syntax error. This did not work. navit still ran without errors.

I deleted the appdata version again, changed directory to /mnt/utmp/navit and edited navit.xml there inserting a syntax error.

This worked. it failed to run, and reported a syntax error.

I just edited the xml file again, changed to the GTK gui, and it WORKED! I now have zoom in and zoom out buttons, and a standard menu!

I got the voice navigation working. Unfortunately the Pandora shuts down its sound system between announcements, so the first word is inaudible as the sound volume fades in. Also I had to set the volume to maximum, and espeak to -a 200 to get a reasonable amplitude.

I got Navit to save a track, and I tried to use GPSPrune to view the track, but I am unable to get GPSPrune to work.

If you're going to be using it for navigation it's probably worth hooking the pandora up to the car's audio system.  Ideally through bluetooth, though that may take some work to get it going.   More realistically, If the car has a 3.5mm audio input I'd use that, otherwise an FM transmitter to send it through the radio. (eg like this one)  

The other option that comes to mind is a cheap set of stereo speakers.   The amp in the pandora is so good I actually got surprisingly good sound out of a pair of small unpowered stereo speakers.

I wonder if there's an easy way to turn the power saving on and off for the audio system...

- Neelix

Just play your favorite mp3s while navigating. Problem solved ;)

If you're going to be using it for navigation it's probably worth hooking the pandora up to the car's audio system.  Ideally through bluetooth, though that may take some work to get it going.   More realistically, If the car has a 3.5mm audio input I'd use that, otherwise an FM transmitter to send it through the radio. (eg like this one)  

The other option that comes to mind is a cheap set of stereo speakers.   The amp in the pandora is so good I actually got surprisingly good sound out of a pair of small unpowered stereo speakers.

I wonder if there's an easy way to turn the power saving on and off for the audio system...

- Neelix
My car has neither bluetooth, nor a stereo jack for audio input. As far as using the FM, I kind of need the CD player to be functional durring long trips. I suppose I could put my music on the Pandora and use the Pandora on FM the whole trip, I'll have to think about the viablity of that solution.

I bought one of those line in to FM transmitters at Fry's yesterday. Sound quality is not great, quite a bit of background noise, but it may not be a problem in a car.

This does solve the volume issue, but not the sound system powering down issue. I still miss the first word or two of each announcement.

I wonder if there is any way to turn off the fade in and have it turn on instantaniously. Even if there is an audio POP, it would be better than what is happening now.

It would be an option to keep the amp on by feeding it something. If you have noise anyway you might want to try running some mp3 without actual audio, but just silence in a loop in the background.

It's an ugly workaround but might work.

Back