Nand Memory...

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I only have one 2GB sd card at the moment... and i am pretty regularly adding and deleting new tv shows from back home in the states... so i have put squidge on mine with what i consider to be my short list of pick up and play favs..... so i can enjoy games in the 3-4 min or so while everything is being saved... really got sick of not being able to use mine... until it dawned on me that the 2x has a built in memory, unlike my old gp32...

obviously nothing magical there... but i was just curious how others here were using their nand memory? anyone out there doing anything particularly cool?

d

I keep the bulk of GMenu2X on there... the TV fixer... I basically use it for tools/utils
Pretty much the same here.

It might be a good idea if emulators & games could be configured to write save states to the nand though. That way you wouldn't loose them all if your sdcard goes to pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Vektar demo, I keep it on just in case I take ti with me and forget to slip an SD in. Perhaps I should put some more things on, like Spout and Noiz2sa.

- Alex

It might be a good idea if emulators & games could be configured to write save states to the nand though. That way you wouldn't loose them all if your sdcard goes to pot.

Worst idea ever. When sth is writing to SD and power will shut off (weak batteries) - often SD card is unreadable. In similiar case writing to NAND - NAND is f.cked and gp2x is bricked.

Worst idea ever. When sth is writing to SD and power will shut off (weak batteries) - often SD card is unreadable. In similiar case writing to NAND - NAND is f.cked and gp2x is bricked.
No it isn't. The user partition would be, not the whole filesystem.

Still, I'd rather mess up a peripheral rather than part of the device itself.

- Alex

I currently don't have anything on my Nand memory, I keep everything on my SD card :)

til a couple of days ago, that was me too... then i realized that its not useful if i dont use it... i tend to be one of those people who for some reason wants to leave some extra space on my card... dont know why... empty space is wasted space... and i have to consciously push myself to push the memory card to the upper limit... other wise ill run around with under 1.5 GB...

all of this made me realize that i dont ever hear about what people use their nands for...

on the darker side though... if i could brick my 2x, or just ruin the nand memory... maybe ill reconsider using savestates on it...

anyother ideas out there?

As far as I'm aware, you can't. Supposing the user partition on the NAND were to get corrupted, surely you could just reformat it from the settings menu?

As far as I'm aware, you can't. Supposing the user partition on the NAND were to get corrupted, surely you could just reformat it from the settings menu?
I would have thought so :unsure:
The emulator could also be written to not save to nand if the batteries are below a certain level too.. I suppose?

I see this as Paranoia... the NDS games could corrupt their saves if power is lost in the middle of saving data to the SRAM. The answer to avoiding corruption is to not save when your batteries are rediculously low...

I see this as Paranoia... the NDS games could corrupt their saves if power is lost in the middle of saving data to the SRAM. The answer to avoiding corruption is to not save when your batteries are rediculously low...
Exactly. That is why most games have always warned you not to turn off the power whilst saving the game.

i agree with those of you who think this is paranoia... yeah... common sense would say to not save when the red light is flashing... but im not worried about low batteries...

i use my 2x all the time commuting on the trains... and one rainy day, i was walking through the station, headphones on... enjoying prison break... and this old japanese lady (im in japan) hooks my headphones with her gynourmous umbrella and basically rips the 2x out of my hands (im assuming it was an accident)... it lands on the ground... off... and my eyes were bulging... i heard some rattling... and thought for sure it was junk.... turns out that one of the little metal connections for the battery got a little bent, and there wasnt enough spring in it to make the connection... so i just bent it back...

problem is... once a week or so... ill just set the 2x down, or move and my unit will reset... when i check... the connection has bent back a little, and so i need to bend it back again... basically... my unit is losing all power for about 1/2 a sec... would be a B**ch if i ruined mine cuz of that... but you say it could be reformatted easily? then ill stop worrying...

thanks

Look in Setting > System, there is a Format option for the NAND. I've never tried this but I assume it works.

Has anything been said recently about whether GPH will be increasing the amount of NAND in the GP2X? It was said a long time ago they might because it's actually becoming more expensive to have such a small flash size.

Back