N64

Lao Rebel

i am having problems setting up my N64 emulator. none of my games are playable. all games are just too slow. everytime i go into config it freezes. i heard that this emulator is not perfect. if anyone can give me some pointers i appreciate it. it is possible to get some of N64 games to run smoothly? or am i screwed here

What type of Pandora do you have? What clock speed setting are you using? What resolution are you running the emulator at?

Somebody should fix default config of that thing..

+1

Apart from the default config, wouldn't it mitigate a lot of the complaints over this emulator if someone were to determine the optimal config for most well known games and integrate those settings as standard...

Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about, so feel free to shoot holes in my suggestion. I just wonder why an idea like this hasn't been implemented already... Especially if people could submit optimal configs for the games they own, and the fellow in charge of this could pick the best of these or tweak even further...?

Just disable all frameskip and set the resolution to 400x240.

That should solve most speedproblems.

Just disable all frameskip and set the resolution to 400x240.

That should solve most speedproblems.

Mind posting the relevant config file(s) as you use it/them? I can't seem to get it to fullscreen with 400x240 resolution and no frameskip and I do get the odd stutter in Super Mario 64 at 800Mhz... and I'm not 100% sure my frameskip is turned off properly. There's no clear "enable_frameskip" setting I can set to zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora/appdata/mupen64plus-r1/config/gles2n64.conf

Code:
#gles2n64 Graphics Plugin for N64

#by Orkin / glN64 developers and Adventus.

config version=2

#Screen Settings:

screen width=800

screen height=480

#Window Settings:

window enable x11=1

window fullscreen=1

window centre=1

window xpos=0

window ypos=0

window width=800

window height=480

#Framebuffer Settings:

framebuffer enable=1

framebuffer bilinear=0

framebuffer width=400

framebuffer height=240

#VI Settings:

video force=0

video width=400

video height=240

#Render Settings:

enable fog=0

enable primitive z=1

enable lighting=1

enable alpha test=1

enable clipping=0

enable face culling=1

enable noise=0

#Texture Settings:

texture 2xSAI=0

texture force bilinear=0

texture max anisotropy=0

texture use IA=0

texture fast CRC=1

texture pow2=1

#Frame skip:

auto frameskip=0

auto maxskip=0

auto minskip=0

auto adjust fps=0

auto delay frames=0

auto upper trigger=1100

auto lower trigger=600

target FPS=30

frame render rate=1

vertical sync=0

#Other Settings:

update mode=1

ignore offscreen rendering=0

force screen clear=0

flip vertical=0

#Hack Settings:

hack banjo tooie=0

hack zelda=0

hack alpha=0

hack pilotwing=0

hack papermario=0

hack z=0

Just tried several games : seems to e worse than the other version, speaking of the sound,

but noticed that the graphic rendering was much smoother...

Any official info someone?

Just tried several games : seems to e worse than the other version, speaking of the sound,
but noticed that the graphic rendering was much smoother...
All I changed to the PND is the default configuration. if you've used this PND before, then there is _no_ change since last PND. It's a change for new users only.

Any official info someone?
Here you go. As far as it can be anything official about an emulator maintained by someone not hacking it nor using it.

Regarding the new default config file, I did some testing (only with GoldenEye 007, since it's the only game I have with noticeable lag other than Super Smash Bros, which is beyond help), and here's what I found:

I don't notice any speed improvement from reducing the buffer size, and it makes the game look like shit. Not that big of a deal I guess since the original N64 looks just as bad, but unless there's a game that gets a noticeable speed increase from this (and needs it), I don't see the point.

I don't know what frame render rate is, but the increase from 2 to 3 seems to cause a noticeable slowdown in GoldenEye 007.

It's probably just my imagination, but with frame render rate set to 2, 20 FPS seems smoother than 30.

EDIT: the bottom line is, I'm using this config file, and it seems to me it works better:

Code:

config version=2

#Screen Settings:

screen width=800

screen height=480

#Window Settings:

window enable x11=1

window fullscreen=1

window centre=1

window xpos=0

window ypos=0

window width=800

window height=480

#Framebuffer Settings:

framebuffer enable=1

framebuffer bilinear=0

framebuffer width=800

framebuffer height=480

#VI Settings:

video force=0

video width=400

video height=240

#Render Settings:

enable fog=0

enable primitive z=1

enable lighting=1

enable alpha test=1

enable clipping=0

enable face culling=1

enable noise=0

#Texture Settings:

texture 2xSAI=0

texture force bilinear=0

texture max anisotropy=0

texture use IA=0

texture fast CRC=1

texture pow2=1

#Frame skip:

auto frameskip=0

auto maxskip=0

auto minskip=0

auto adjust fps=0

auto delay frames=0

auto upper trigger=1100

auto lower trigger=600

target FPS=20

frame render rate=2

vertical sync=0

#Other Settings:

update mode=1

force screen clear=0

flip vertical=0

#Hack Settings:

hack banjo tooie=0

hack zelda=0

hack alpha=0

hack pilotwing=0

hack papermario=0

hack z=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the new default config file, I did some testing (only with GoldenEye 007, since it's the only game I have with noticeable lag other than Super Smash Bros, which is beyond help), and here's what I found:

I don't notice any speed improvement from reducing the buffer size, and it makes the game look like shit. Not that big of a deal I guess since the original N64 looks just as bad, but unless there's a game that gets a noticeable speed increase from this (and needs it), I don't see the point.

I don't know what frame render rate is, but the increase from 2 to 3 seems to cause a noticeable slowdown in GoldenEye 007.

It's probably just my imagination, but with frame render rate set to 2, 20 FPS seems smoother than 30.

EDIT: the bottom line is, I'm using this config file, and it seems to me it works better:

Code:

config version=2

#Screen Settings:

screen width=800

screen height=480

#Window Settings:

window enable x11=1

window fullscreen=1

window centre=1

window xpos=0

window ypos=0

window width=800

window height=480

#Framebuffer Settings:

framebuffer enable=1

framebuffer bilinear=0

framebuffer width=800

framebuffer height=480

#VI Settings:

video force=0

video width=400

video height=240

#Render Settings:

enable fog=0

enable primitive z=1

enable lighting=1

enable alpha test=1

enable clipping=0

enable face culling=1

enable noise=0

#Texture Settings:

texture 2xSAI=0

texture force bilinear=0

texture max anisotropy=0

texture use IA=0

texture fast CRC=1

texture pow2=1

#Frame skip:

auto frameskip=0

auto maxskip=0

auto minskip=0

auto adjust fps=0

auto delay frames=0

auto upper trigger=1100

auto lower trigger=600

target FPS=20

frame render rate=2

vertical sync=0

#Other Settings:

update mode=1

force screen clear=0

flip vertical=0

#Hack Settings:

hack banjo tooie=0

hack zelda=0

hack alpha=0

hack pilotwing=0

hack papermario=0

hack z=0
Some configs may work better than others for different games but try changing:

Code:
framebuffer width=800

framebuffer height=480

to

Code:
framebuffer width=400

framebuffer height=240

The framebuffer seems to be what really matters for decreasing rendering lag and 800 by 480 just makes it unbearable in games such as banjo-tooie (even though it looks great :p )

Frame render rate is just frameskipping. Frame render rate of 2 means every other frame is rendered. With 3 it is every third frame, what makes it look choppy. The thing that really costs performance is the autoframeskip as it seems to be quite buggy right now.

Frame render rate is just frameskipping. Frame render rate of 2 means every other frame is rendered. With 3 it is every third frame, what makes it look choppy. The thing that really costs performance is the autoframeskip as it seems to be quite buggy right now.

It's not so much buggy... but people need to be experimenting with the settings more... but it's probably too complicated for most people that just want to set a frameskip value and be done.

I think it has per game values too.

Considering we don't know what FPS we are getting, shouldn't the target FPS be higher and a different value per game?

Is there any noticeable difference if its set as 0 or 60?

Ok, given how pixellated things got after I updated the PND (by deleting and reinstalling since PNDManager seems to only notice updates if the filename contains a version number) and deleted the appdata directory, I'm assuming I'm on the new config.

Is Banjo-Kazooie still supposed to be stuttery at 925Mhz with current SuperZaxxon Final firmware and the new config?

Back