N64 ???

phrosty said:
From what I've heard, the CPU is actually specced for 950MHz but is underclocked in the Pandora. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Increasing the speed would of course mean less battery life, and maybe too much heat.
You're wrong. That's a different version of the CPU

phrosty said:
From what I've heard, the CPU is actually specced for 950MHz but is underclocked in the Pandora. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Increasing the speed would of course mean less battery life, and maybe too much heat.

okay, from what i heard the arm proc does not give out heat when oc'ed

It's been said the processor won't heat up too much when overclocked to 900MHz but that would, of course, reduce the life of your processor and void the warranty.

There is no one "specced" clock speed, so it is not a matter of underclocking/overclocking, merely setting the processor to the appropriate speed for the job you're doing. TI has tested the processor to at least 900MHz, so that is still within spec for the OMAP3530.

It is impossible to "fry" the processor by setting the speed too high. You could probably do it by messing with the voltage levels, but that's something different. As far as straight-up clock speed goes, the chip will become unstable and crash, but it does not generate enough heat to cause permanent damage.

we need to get StrmnNrmn on our side working on his n64 emulator Daedalus ,is on the psp
and is currently worked on tho its slow ,its quite stable and for a psp is actually very very good
and can run mario64 and mario kart64 near full speed with audio.

i believe StrmnNrmn is the man to do it ,i don't know if he even knows about the pandora
but he should be approached and given a pandora and everything else he needs free of charge.

maybe its best if a dev can contact him
http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/2007/06/d ... eased.html

Paddy

better yet set up a n64 bounty by donating X amount of money just for this project , but not a proof of concept emulator . Demanding 60 FPS , sound and save ability the least.

paddy said:
we need to get StrmnNrmn on our side working on his n64 emulator Daedalus ,is on the psp
and is currently worked on tho its slow ,its quite stable and for a psp is actually very very good

Paddy

I have got a PSP. sorry to say this but the N64 emulator has been in development for yeasr and even up till now it sucks.

It can only run like 2 games, with mario 46 being re-released on the DS I really don't care.

Now if it could run OOT and WW that would be a totlay different story.

If the N64 emulator for the Pandora will be like the same as the PSP one, it may rot in hell.

PSP + N64 = made of fail

vree said:
paddy said:

Paddy

I have got a PSP. sorry to say this but the N64 emulator has been in development for yeasr and even up till now it sucks.

It can only run like 2 games, with mario 46 being re-released on the DS I really don't care.

Now if it could run OOT and WW that would be a totlay different story.

If the N64 emulator for the Pandora will be like the same as the PSP one, it may rot in hell.

PSP + N64 = made of fail

mmm have you looked at the specs of the psp compared to the pandora

also a project that has been in development for years, is only a projects that is worked on regularly
the psp n64 emulator was not

also stop comparing psp and pandora

and finally the psp was not overclocked to 333mhz
Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was designated by the manufacturer

it was not forced, the psp was underclocked, by sony and then support came to have it at 333mhz, so the sony designated it to run at 333mhz, when needed by developers. so it was not overclocked

Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was designated by the manufacturer

1) I never compared the Panbdora with the PSP in this topic
2) never talked about overklocking
3) I was just mentioning that the N64 on PSP sucks and in't good like you said.
4) I wasn't talking about specs
5) If the Pandora doen't run N64 at full speed, it may have al the specs it want from me, it still fails in my opinion.
6) Don't flame me. It's my opinion

Judging from my calculations, it could run as good as the xbox n64 emulator or the wii n64 emulator since the specs seem rather similar (more MHZ and RAM then both). That of course is a rough guess because theres so many factors involved including:

1: Which open source n64 emulator is used.
2: The programming skill of the programmer.
3: The ease or difficulty of programming one or porting one on the Pandora.

I suspect the graphics heavy games won't run well like Perfect Dark or Donkey Kong or Conker, but most everything else should run pretty well.

vree said:

1) I never compared the Panbdora with the PSP in this topic
2) never talked about overklocking
3) I was just mentioning that the N64 on PSP sucks and in't good like you said.
4) I wasn't talking about specs
5) If the Pandora doen't run N64 at full speed, it may have al the specs it want from me, it still fails in my opinion.
6) Don't flame me. It's my opinion

i ws talking to two people in one, there was a post before yours about overclocking

and if its software which is stopping the pandora from emulating n64, it not a huge problem, it can happen down the line if someone wants to take up the task, as long as specs are good, im happy because its not limited before its even released

also the wii n64 emulator last time i tried it was pathetic, havnt tried the xbox one though,

also i wasnt flaming your opinion, the psp n64 emulator sucks, it is limited by the psp, but honesty i think alot of it was bad coding

also when limiting a device saying whether its possible to do this or that specs do come into play lol

im more intrested in trying to run a linux n64 emulator on it, see what the outcome is first, as i think it was said linux takes up 33% of cpu and firefox takes up another 33%, but dont quote me

It's true the psp n64 emulator isn't very good, the psp isn't very powerful compare to pandora.

The pandora shoudn't have any problem emulating n64 as long it can play games like lylat wars,killer instinct gold,jet force,mario 64 then it will really good emulator, i don't really care if perfect dark doesn't work the game is crap.

First off, any self respecting emulator will not run with full linux in the background, it will run directly on the hardware.

Second, do not say that you think that part of the PSP N64 suckiness is bad coding, because you have no idea what you are talking about. Daedalus is probably the BEST coded PSP emulator, PERIOD. The amount of work that has gone into it is immense. TO say you think it is slow because of bad coding is completely false. It is the hardware, not the software.

The Pandora is capable of N64 emulation, but somebody will have to devote months/years of time for it. Simple as that.

emcp said:
im more intrested in trying to run a linux n64 emulator on it, see what the outcome is first, as i think it was said linux takes up 33% of cpu and firefox takes up another 33%, but dont quote me

Wa!~ Don't make up cr@p while saying not to be quoted. Maybe you are talking about one situation for RAM using a bloated linux OS starting with u.

icurafu said:
emcp said:

Wa!~ Don't make up cr@p while saying not to be quoted. Maybe you are talking about one situation for RAM using a bloated linux OS starting with u.
Don't play the same game. The Os starting by u is not that bad.

Hells_Dark said:
icurafu said:
emcp said:

Don't play the same game. The Os starting by u is not that bad.

Just saying that the OS startig with u, or k, is more likely to consume 33% of ram than 33% of CPU under a very particular situation. I'm not saying this is how it will be installed on the Pandora. You don't need to defend ubuntu here, I'm not attacking it.

Back