N64 Emulator Canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zod has a pandora, but he's working on psx plus dosbox along with countless iphone/ipod touch stuff. It's likely projects for the latter would keep rolling in, so there's less reason to do something hard like a n64 emu. I'd say that's why he's suggesting someone else take it up. Hopefully there is someone up to the challenge if he doesn't change his mind on that. I keep out the false and wild hope StrmnNrmn is secretly working a pandora port :p

maybe i'm being too optimistic but someone will eventually pick it up
i'm pretty sure that in time, we will have a n64 emulator that will play near full speed every game except perfect dark and goldeneye

Chip, although *most* games are slow on psp, the new beta build of R14 (offloads sound to the psp media engine) runs sm64 very smoothly in most levels.

Keep in mind this took several years to get done; I think the pandora will get n64, but it would need a dedicated coder, and time. Lots of time.

Chip said:
God Ginrai said:
Come on. The PSP gets near-playable emulation for many N64 games, and the Pandora will fully outclass the PSP in power, and you claim that playable N64 emulation will be iffy at best? I'm sorry, but the only thing that should be iffy at best is Fullspeed emulation, or near-fullspeed Perfect Dark.
You have an interesting concept of "near-playable". The few games that Daedalus can play at all, it plays slowly, with the sound disabled. And that program has already been heavily optimized for the the hardware.

Actually playable N64 emulation won't be easy. You won't see any legitimate emu programmer say otherwise.

My view of near-playable is 15-20 FPS. Is that so interesting?

Gruso said:
God Ginrai said:
I followed the link, and I didn't see a post that supported your claim that "It has been posted several times already that zod has had to pull out due to workload on other projects."
Agreed. The original quote from Zod, second hand mind you, was this:
Ubuntu Mobile Edition fan said:
I tracked down ZodTTD about the Nintendo 64 emulator, asked about a rough ETA and he said "sadly I cant give an estimate. If anyone else is up for the challenge, they should go for it".
This doesn't tell me he's cancelled the idea, it tells me he won't be able to do it in a hurry and if anyone else takes it on they won't be stepping on his toes.

Does anyone have anything more concrete than this?

[edit] And let's not forget that Zod has a Pandora.

I agree, that doesn't sound anything like he's planning on giving up. It sounded more to me like an estimate that it will take quite a while. (due to his other projects)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
palmertech said:
Chip, although *most* games are slow on psp, the new beta build of R14 (offloads sound to the psp media engine) runs sm64 very smoothly in most levels.

Keep in mind this took several years to get done; I think the pandora will get n64, but it would need a dedicated coder, and time. Lots of time.
I've seen the videos so I can second that. I don't think it will iffy at best, I think it will run fairly well. I had a 1ghz machine running n64 games on it with little to no lag. Frame skips rocks.. I think its possible, Iffy at best is a dreamcast emulator but I still think its possible to get one running. But then again the same could of been said about the psx emulator for gp2x.

sryidc said:
this is really disappointing. n64 emulation is one of the main reasons i wanted a pandora. all tho it wont keep me from getting one. guess i'll just have to cross my fingers and hope :)
yes, me too i want a pandora for n64.

i have no problem running fullspeed mario 64, waverace64 and mariokart 64 with a pentium 233mhz mmx with a 4mb d3d video card with Corn ( pc emulator) even ultrahle runs most of them fullspeed including zelda

so i dont see why the pandora will not be fullspeed with a n64 emu.

its very possible.

about the wii emulator ... its a good joke LOL, even dremcast i dont believe its possible at ok speed

*cry*
Cew27 really wants n64 emulation :(
ill still get a pandora but ill be awaiting news on this anchiously

renejr902 said:
i have no problem running fullspeed mario 64, waverace64 and mariokart 64 with a pentium 233mhz mmx with a 4mb d3d video card with Corn ( pc emulator) even ultrahle runs most of them fullspeed including zelda

its very possible.
The Pandora isn't a PC, simple. If it had a Pentium 233Mhz MMX with a Hardware 3D card, it could run Corn at full speed. But it doesn't.

It'll take a long time for someone to create a N64 emu for the Pandora thats playable.

If daedelus is working (slowly) on psp, why woudn't it work on pandora? It seems to run well considering the psp hardware isn't up to the job.

Wouldn't the pandoras' hardware give it a boost performance wise, making it a viable candidate for porting so pandora users can play at least a few games like Smash Bros. and maybe Zelda until something better can be done with either the psp daedelus source or maybe even an arm port of mupen64 with a dynarec for arm?

And before anyone gives me the old "why don't you port it then" I wanna say if I could, I would, but I can't :p No talent for coding here, you see.

Oh and I just wanted to add, my sig is especially small (So small). But God Ginrai wow! Sig is so big! So big signature!

sold said:
If daedelus is working (slowly) on psp, why woudn't it work on pandora? It seems to run well considering the psp hardware isn't up to the job.

Wouldn't the pandoras' hardware give it a boost performance wise, making it a viable candidate for porting so pandora users can play at least a few games like Smash Bros. and maybe Zelda until something better can be done with either the psp daedelus source or maybe even an arm port of mupen64 with a dynarec for arm?

And before anyone gives me the old "why don't you port it then" I wanna say if I could, I would, but I can't :p No talent for coding here, you see.

Oh and I just wanted to add, my sig is especially small (So small). But God Ginrai wow! Sig is so big! So big signature!
don't forget that the psp has a different cpu-architecture and daedalus would need to be re-optimised for omap.

btw: I would die for a good dreamcast emulator. All my favourite games run on the dreamcast :D But N64? I don't know so many good games for n64, anyway...

Username said:
rmm21 said:
I'm kidding about Dreamcast BTW. I think Wii emulation is possible though.
You would prefer Dreamcast over Wii?

Easily yes, the DC has far more class games made for it than the Wii has so far, note the so far part, still waiting for Pilot Wings, Music and loads more decent 1st party games, 95% of 3rd party games can take a running jump on wii though!

Smash Bros and the Zeldas are the n64 games i'd be interested the most with Pandora, but great PSX emulation seems to be the most grounded limit for :pandora1: . As for my comment on Wii emulation, i've examined all the Pandora and TI manuals and determined it won't be possible.

I did check the specifics and, after an exhaustive study of the proprietory data, Gamecube will be possible at 75% full speed with frame buffering set to "grande".

Haha, well, the Wii has a 700+ MHz PPC processor. The Pandora would have trouble emulating just the CPU even if it was twice as powerful. Definitely not gonna happen.

Dreamcast isn't completely impossible, but it's definitely doubtful. 200 MHz CPU. Similar video card though!

I did check the specifics and, after an exhaustive study of the proprietory data, Gamecube will be possible at 75% full speed with frame buffering set to "grande".
.... What? Its incredibly unlikely that a 475 Mhz out-of-order 3 way super scalar Power PC with shorter pipelines, 64bit SIMD FPU and a larger L1 cache can be emulated decently on the A8....

As far as N64 emulation is concerned, i don't think we should expect a Dev to quickly develop an emu. If it does occur, it will take time before anything useful eventuates. The only reason the PSP has gotten to where it is (which is really about the same level as PSX on GP2X) is because the original dev of Daedalus is porting it.

rmm21 said:
Smash Bros and the Zeldas are the n64 games i'd be interested the most with Pandora, but great PSX emulation seems to be the most grounded limit for :pandora1: . As for my comment on Wii emulation, i've examined all the Pandora and TI manuals and determined it won't be possible.

Oh damn, you gotta be kidding me... Don't tell me you know how complex the gamecubes system calls are, what the hardware can do in detail, what modes the cpu supports etc. This is just stupid... "after an exhaustive study" lol... "75%" lol...
Hopefully I heard some irony in your last post, otherwise you are just stupid.

I would be up, to remake Wii games 1:1 tho (Only with a team...)!

Squidge said:
renejr902 said:

its very possible.
The Pandora isn't a PC, simple. If it had a Pentium 233Mhz MMX with a Hardware 3D card, it could run Corn at full speed. But it doesn't.

It'll take a long time for someone to create a N64 emu for the Pandora thats playable.

True, it will take a long time. But it will be playable, contrary to what Chip seems to think.

-God Ginrai

I dunno, I find it a little strange at the amount of people that want a Pandora for N64 emulation when all the docs say that such a thing is a ways off and may not be up to snuff.

Considering all the really cool things that Pandora *can* do, it puzzles me that people are more interested in what it *might* do, or even what it flat out *can't* do.

jellmoo said:
I dunno, I find it a little strange at the amount of people that want a Pandora for N64 emulation when all the docs say that such a thing is a ways off and may not be up to snuff.

Considering all the really cool things that Pandora *can* do, it puzzles me that people are more interested in what it *might* do, or even what it flat out *can't* do.
Because N64 emulation isn't what it "might" do. Playable emulation is a "can" do. It just requires a coder, like all other projects do. Fullspeed emulation of N64 would be the "might".

-God Ginrai

The N64 has a FPU, thus you will get into trouble just emulating this in realtime on an ARM machine. I guess you won't have N64 on Pandora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back