N64 Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jakewastaken said:
Nintendo DID make a solid N64 emu, it just happens to be for the wii.

You can easily inject any downloaded N64 rom into an existing N64 game you purchased from the store and play it. It isn't 100% compatible, but there are a ton that work.
I know about that one. It's still not so solid.

PoisonedV said:
God Ginrai said:
. Mugen is an excellent fighting game
hahaha, good one

What? It is.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:

Well, to be honest I've only played a few games on it. It seems to work with Starfox really well though. Conker's Bad Fur Day is bigger than all of the injectable host files :(

Despite that, it seems to work better than most N64 emus I've seen.

jakewastaken said:
God Ginrai said:

Well, to be honest I've only played a few games on it. It seems to work with Starfox really well though. Conker's Bad Fur Day is bigger than all of the injectable host files :(

Despite that, it seems to work better than most N64 emus I've seen.

What N64 emus have you seen? o_ô

-God Ginrai

n64 emulation actually worked quite well on the original xbox with a 733 mhz processor. Not all games were compatible but mario, mario kart, and super smash brothers worked awesome! You could pick from 3 emulators, but 1964 was the most compatible and fastest for most games. The source is here by the way http://sourceforge.net/projects/schibo/ . There is also source for Mupen64 here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=29643
Has anyone looked through the source of these two and decided how hard it would be to port either one?

Hard. Some say an N64 emu for Pandora would be better off written from scratch. I won't go digging for a source on that, I'm just saying "some say" the way Fox News does.

Of course, there's always the rumour that a certain well known figure is porting his own N64 emu to Pandora. I believe his careful wording was along the lines of "an exciting new platform." I don't have that source on hand either, but it's around. ;)

I'm happy to wait and see.

God Ginrai said:
What N64 emus have you seen? o_ô

-God Ginrai
I've only really played around with Project64 for the pc, and that was a few years ago. I'm willing to accept I'm out of the loop on this. Maybe whatever engine the wii is using for it's downloadable content is really subpar compared to the competition, my bad. I don't have anything else to contribute on this subject. (But I stand by this thread title sucking).

The wii n64 emulator is one of the most accurate I've seen, actually. It renders every effect in ocarina of time perfectly, something that emus still struggle with today. Things like the fog, the flame and corona effect and title screen logo fire :)

The glide wrapper video plugin does a pretty decent job though.

HackModford said:
I would be interested in the philips cdi... I think. (isn't that the system with the ripoff zelda games?)

I just wanted to see how many people were interested and maybe inspire a developer. From previous discussions I didn't know people were this interested (I got a two page topic in an hour? That's great!)
If it brings in new developers, then YEAH! Otherwise, you just get the devs spread even more thin then they are already. If the number of devs is low, then I would like to see more mainstream stuff developed. But then again, if the devs are there, why not do everything technically possible?

Chris

The Pandora is roughly 4 times more powerful according to processor benchmarks. You do the math wink.gif

What benchmarks are you referring to?

MDave said:
PS1 uses the same base architecture as n64, MIPS. That runs fine on pandora, no? ;)

It's kind of funny really. Homebrew developers struggled to get PS1 emulators working at any playable speed (until Sony made their own emulator) on the PSP. N64 emulation came further along then the homebrew variant of PS1 emualtion.

Pandora already has a fullspeed PS1 emulator (before the thing is even released!) This should be a good indicator of what to expect :p
No one worked very hard at PS1 emulation on PSP, or at least not nearly as hard as StrmnNrmn worked on his. Sony's emulator all but killed any remaining enthusiasm towards working on one.

But N64 emulation is much more demanding than PS1 emulation is.

Exophase said:
The Pandora is roughly 4 times more powerful according to processor benchmarks. You do the math wink.gif
What benchmarks are you referring to?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=45583&hl=

MDave said:
PS1 uses the same base architecture as n64, MIPS. That runs fine on pandora, no? ;)

It's kind of funny really. Homebrew developers struggled to get PS1 emulators working at any playable speed (until Sony made their own emulator) on the PSP. N64 emulation came further along then the homebrew variant of PS1 emualtion.

Pandora already has a fullspeed PS1 emulator (before the thing is even released!) This should be a good indicator of what to expect :p
No one worked very hard at PS1 emulation on PSP, or at least not nearly as hard as StrmnNrmn worked on his. Sony's emulator all but killed any remaining enthusiasm towards working on one.

But N64 emulation is much more demanding than PS1 emulation is.

To cut a long story short, I managed to port the emulator over fairly quickly, but after starting a new job development ground to a halt. A few months later I saw the buzz surrounding PSMonkey's N64 emu, and thought I'd have to finally bite the bullet and let people see what I had been working on.

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=34897

Sounds like he got one up and running with not much effort to me! ;)

I am of the group that thinks writing one from scratch would be a better use of the amount of effort required for porting any of the current open source emulators. This is considering that none of the dynamic recompilers are written for the ARM/NEON architecture and neither are any of the graphics made for anything other that DirectX and OpenGL. If you hope to achieve any speed of emulation, a lot of work will need to be put into tailoring performance specifically for the Pandora.

Having said that, I would be most willing to attempt the task, expecting it to be in the 8 - 12 month time frame for something approaching a polished look. However, I am likely only going to be on the second batch of production units, but I will send off an email to see if there is a chance of getting a unit earlier.

Happy said:
I am of the group that thinks writing one from scratch would be a better use of the amount of effort required for porting any of the current open source emulators. This is considering that none of the dynamic recompilers are written for the ARM/NEON architecture and neither are any of the graphics made for anything other that DirectX and OpenGL. If you hope to achieve any speed of emulation, a lot of work will need to be put into tailoring performance specifically for the Pandora.

Having said that, I would be most willing to attempt the task, expecting it to be in the 8 - 12 month time frame for something approaching a polished look. However, I am likely only going to be on the second batch of production units, but I will send off an email to see if there is a chance of getting a unit earlier.
Pandora batch 1 pre orders are open again:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46424

Happy said:

Could be tricky starting from scratch nowadays, because it's getting increasingly harder to find documentation on the N64 hardware as time passes by. Unless you have contact with someone that already knows it inside-out to help you along :)

I'm interested in developing for one too.

well, just because you're making one from scratch, doesn't mean it's a bad idea to look at other n64 emulators.

What we should do is find out who is actually working on a N64 Pandora emulator and then offer then a collective bounty from all of us who want to see a N64 emulator as a reward/prize., in some form of N64 emulator for Pandora coding competition

Hopefully we could then up with a emulator thats well supported

Some may agree with this approach whilst others may argue its against the open-source principles.

My argument would be that a coding competitions were used successfully in the GP32 and GP2X arenas, and in this case, if enough of us are desperate for a N64 emulator this may be one way to go

the problem is that you might end up getting an unuably slow straight port from somebody who wants the money.

Absolutely need it beyond doubt! I will cry when a working emulator is coded. :pandora1:

True - but it could possibly then be refined by another dev and work alot better

I guess you could counter this by setting targets for games which are known to be difficult and state frame rates/sounds - but then you may get devs just tuning it for a particular game

This shit ain't easy - but if there is a good enough incentive i'm sure some good quality devs would be tempted - i'd happily donate $50 to this cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back