My Pandora Battery Life

noisome

Hey there!

Just wanted to post something about my Pandora's battery life. I unplugged the Pandora one morning and went to work. Showed it to everyone and let them play with it, get online and other odd things until just after noon. I toggled off the wifi and just let the music play (via headphones). And play. And play. End of work day, go home. Eat, play around, play with the pandora and never plug it in and never turn it off (only close the lid).

Time for bed. Hook up the pandora. But before I do that, I checked the percentage left. 62% and 12+ hours remaining.

One 16 hour day. Probably could be lots longer with the wifi off and just playing music.

Very nice team. I like it!

Noisome

Holy merciful Moses. That's some good battery life. Thanks for the info, anyone else have a battery life story to relate?

I'm assuming the music playing was with the lid closed and wifi off? Even so, that does exceed most expectations. :D
Apple is all "our new iPhone gets 20 hours of music playback!" Great... 16 hours later and your Pandora still says 12 hours? I like it :)

WizardStan said:
I'm assuming the music playing was with the lid closed and wifi off? Even so, that does exceed most expectations. :D
Apple is all "our new iPhone gets 20 hours of music playback!" Great... 16 hours later and your Pandora still says 12 hours? I like it :)
Good question about lid, he did say wifi was off.
Interesting hearing about the use case and battery life

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Positive Review from me:

Battery Life was excellent, I went all weekend (Friday evening - Sunday) without a charge. In fact, the first hour of playing games the battery meter read 100% -- then it slowly began ticking off a percent here or there.

Battery life is EXCELLENT considering the capabilities of the device... And mine was with Wi-Fi on 100% of the time.

comp_wizard said:

Battery Life was excellent, I went all weekend (Friday evening - Sunday) without a charge. In fact, the first hour of playing games the battery meter read 100% -- then it slowly began ticking off a percent here or there.

Battery life is EXCELLENT considering the capabilities of the device... And mine was with Wi-Fi on 100% of the time.
Was wifi connected, or in state of scanning for a network a lot?

WizardStan said:

Yes, with the lid closed and wifi off. It was being manhandled for the first several hours (by all the hecklers that badgered me about this vaporware for 1.5 years, and they got pwned).

Na-Noo said:
comp_wizard said:

Was wifi connected, or in state of scanning for a network a lot?

Mine was connected, not scanning.

craigix said:
:)

People find it really hard to believe the battery is THAT good, but we meant it when we said 10 hours.
You once mentioned 100 hours (music). ;)

:lol:

Well the massive numbers was with the dsp doing the decoding. But I wonder how much difference it will actually make considering cpu is at 14Mhz.

Truly, the battery life is incredibly awesome, but that may only be because of the awesomely huge battery.

Can anyone confirm what, if any power management is implemented? My impression is that the only thing happening on closing the lid is that the screen turns off. Is that fair to say?

Alerino said:
with daily casual gaming and browsing (1 hour), i want mine to last a week

I doubt that's going to happen. My battery discharges at about the rate of 6% every 12 hours when shut off completely. Based on those figures you're going to loose 84% of charge when the unit is lying idle for 7 days, nevermind your hour of web surfing/game play.

Unless you mean a 5 day working week, then you might just about get away with it! :p

62% after 16 hours!? Did I misread that?

I'm down to 62% by breakfast!

Seriously, I left mine for an hour in sleep mode while I popped out. When I came back it had gone down 15%

Pleng said:
I doubt that's going to happen. My battery discharges at about the rate of 6% every 12 hours when shut off completely.
Mind doing an experiment for me? What does it do if you remove the battery for those same 12 hours? 6% seems excessive for a battery to just "leak" ever 12 hours.

WizardStan said:
Mind doing an experiment for me? What does it do if you remove the battery for those same 12 hours? 6% seems excessive for a battery to just "leak" ever 12 hours.
If you remove the battery, it will mess up the battery gauge and you won't get an accurate reading.

Back