MUDs (Multi User Dungeons)

Miv

Still Fresh
I was thinking about MUDs the other day and thought about how nice it would have been to play on a Pandora w/ wifi. I half wish online gaming never kicked off like it did so we could still be playing MUDs now.

Does anyone still play or know of any active, good, servers?

Actually new idea, would anyone be interested in setting up/running one? (I can host, I just lack in the creativity department)

Yeah I have very good dedicated hosting myself, I was planning on hosting some Pandora specific games when the time came.

Yeah I have very good dedicated hosting myself, I was planning on hosting some Pandora specific games when the time came.

I too also lack much in the creative process.. but man I can grep and awk like a mofo.

There are loads of MUD/MOO servers still active with hundreds of players.

I played a lot on Iron Realms Entertainment games but Ikaruga, Zelda, 3D Dot Game Heroes, [edit]life[/edit] and minecraft kept me away from it, so my characters have been wiped.

They're even in the process of launching a new sci-fi game.

I think that as long as the MMORPGs aren't as well written and don't give as much freedom than MUDs and MOOs, those two genre will keep a strong userbase.

Moreover, the MOO and MUD clients don't need overpriced hardware to run
laugh.gif

edit : For Mac users, one of the best client is Atlantis or telnet :D .

Last edited by a moderator:
The MUD Connector is still up, I think.

MUME (Multi User Middle Earth) is still around and 'popular' (in so much as MUDs can be popular these days)

Iron Realms make a living running 4 or 5 MUDs that look pretty good; I've often thought about getting into one for old times sake, but never quite get around to it.. they take up as much time as a MMORPG :)

IFmud is still popular with the interactive fiction author crowd.

BatMUD still around and has a fancy java client (almost runs on the Pandora)

Building 'old school' telnet based mud clients works fine; running MUDs on the Pandora would be fine as well .. I was writing my own MUDs and running some old lp and diku's a million years ago, they ran great on machines a fraction the performance of a Pandora :)

One of the first things I did on my Pandora dev board a year or two back was to log into a MUD .. at the time was over usbnet, but the Pandora's wifi (assuming it works for you) would be plenty sufficient for a text MUD :)

jeff

I too also lack much in the creative process.. but man I can grep and awk like a mofo.

Code:
| sed -e "s/mof/pr/"

wash your mouth out. :p

The MUD Connector is still up, I think.

<snip> but the Pandora's wifi (assuming it works for you) would be plenty sufficient for a text MUD :)

jeff
Figures that you'd know this. :p

Does the Pandora make the modem sounds when it connects at this speed? I guess you could play a .mp3/ogg or something.

Regards,

Me!

(Aging myself) -- I really liked the 300bps connect sound-sequence; a really nice tone :p The later '*pong*' noises for high speed modems was really goofy :p

(Yes I ran a BBS, yes ,I ran a MUD, yes I made vt52 and ANSI screens for BBSes :p )

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
If nothing else, you can usually just telnet into a mud. I'm pretty sure telnet is installed on the Pandora by default, and if it's not it really should be.

Back