My Pandora 2 and ICP2 Keyboard Layout, GCW One/Dual(February 18th 2013)

~ DVB/ATSC receiver that would work worldwide, probably a bit tricky to find/create such a thing
I think a DVB chip could be around $40 - how many people would buy a Pandora if they could watch HD TV on it?
If it worked in the US of A, I for sure would, that would be great.

How much space would 8VSB+DVB+DAB(+)+FM chips etc take up?

Do stop me if I start ranting over why a P2 should have broadcast media reception here - There's a whole separate thread for that.

Well the FM chip is part of the Brodacom chip listed in the OP, so that would save some space. Would be fun if there were different versions of the pandora.
Hi Corey, I too relish the day when we'll have more than one Pandora model. Several product tiers would undoubtedly draw new customers and bring greater returns for Openpandora. Terrestrial television, like a GPS receiver, would certainly differentiate the Pandora, but I see these more as custom installed components for distinct buyers rather than average users. Personally, I don't own a television, but I do enjoy a handful of shows when I find the time(BBC's Merlin :wub: ). Nevertheless, the service option is sound.

I like Binky's idea for a dock in the other thread. I'd go one step further with it by removing the "lid braces" and redesigning it in the form of a rubberized carry case for the Pandora, but with expansion ports and internal storage bay. A grab and go briefcase/docking station. :)

Terrestrial television, like a GPS receiver, would certainly differentiate the Pandora, but I see these more as custom installed components for distinct buyers

Problem is that Linux support for DAB/DVB sticks sucks - it would be much better if OP could buy a stock of chips that definitely work and use them.

Also, integrated extras are much neater.

Dock+case idea is nice :)

How expensive is it to populate some PCBs with a particular part, and some without?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see just some instructions, something like a TV out via hdmi or RGB or whatever using a dock (so it can be used as a home computer/console), im thinking something basic and then let people hack away, i mean, i'd love to play with the insides of my pandora but there is no way i want to open up my baby, but a dock on the other hand i think would encourage a bit of modding.

The most basic dock could have a built in usb hub and TV out, a few extra pin outs and you could add whatever you want to it, just a thought.

Perhaps a case-dock could add L2/R2?

http://boards.openpa...__fromsearch__1
I don't think a dock would really need that, i imaging a dock as a desktop thing, but I did chop up a USB keyboard and wired the connectors for P and Q to two small buttons that were on a piece of old breadboard below the L and R buttons, worked brilliantly until one of the arms snapped off :( but I think that'd be a cool seperate accessory.

Perhaps a case-dock could add L2/R2?

http://boards.openpa...__fromsearch__1
I don't think a dock would really need that, i imaging a dock as a desktop thing, but I did chop up a USB keyboard and wired the connectors for P and Q to two small buttons that were on a piece of old breadboard below the L and R buttons, worked brilliantly until one of the arms snapped off :( but I think that'd be a cool seperate accessory.

Not a dock, but a case-dock: like a box full of peripherals, with a USB/EXT connector in just the right places

Ah I get you, that sounds cool, L2 and R2 would be quite easy to add on then, in that case an extra battery would be extremely useful as well.

what does it mean "resistive touchscreen"? What is different from the touchscreen from the first Pandora? Multitouch?

what does it mean "resistive touchscreen"? What is different from the touchscreen from the first Pandora? Multitouch?

The current Pandora and many older electronic gadgets use resistive touchscreens. these have high accuracy, but are more delicate and don't normally sense multiple touches at once, but they can be triggered with any hard stylus/paperclip/fingernail/whatever.

Most modern smartphones use capacitive touchscreens, which detect multiple touches, with low accuracy and can be protected by pieces of glass.

The current Pandora and many older electronic gadgets use resistive touchscreens. these have high accuracy, but are more delicate and don't normally sense multiple touches at once, but they can be triggered with any hard stylus/paperclip/fingernail/whatever.

Most modern smartphones use capacitive touchscreens, which detect multiple touches, with low accuracy and can be protected by pieces of glass.
A negative to using capacitive touchscreens though is the finger grease smears that collect on the glass panel. -_-

A negative to using capacitive touchscreens though is the finger grease smears that collect on the glass panel. -_-
And the way that they reflect everything... :lol:

Revised the Pandora 2 designs and added an iControlPad version 2. :)

1. Why get rid of the number buttons?

They're still there just not on the top row where the speakers could go. Press the NumL key and it's numeric nirvana. Besides, I had to move the speakers to accommodate the larger screen. Didn't want to put them in the back.

Looking forward to your mad idea Binky. Although, I wouldn't call it mad, i'd call it daring. ;)

I did have a plan where the lid would be a mini-tablet computer (with high speed USB port(s) + TV-out), the lower half would be an icontrolpad+keyboard+battery setup with a usb-->wireless usb converter.

They would be held together with shaped magnets that could be used as a latched hinge, also provide a power connection across the two parts - while making it possible to separate the units.

Unfortunately the magnet would make use of external HDDs impossible.

Next idea: - more space between controls / screen, no problem locking at 135o

1333971244-U3032.png

1333971266-U3032.png

Very futuristic looking Binky. :)

Hmm... if I could be so bold, how about making it three modular pieces. One part screen(small tablet) with its own battery, one part an unpowered universal port replicator/hinge/stand base that the first plugs into, and the third part(or parts) a self-powered keyboard and/or gaming pad that talks to the first by BT, but only attaches to the second. The user could take whatever they need with them or use all three together to form Voltron the travel desktop pc. Expansion modules could be added to suit whatever need arises.

What sort of shape would the port replicator/hinge be? cylindrical?

Definitely not cylindrical. Maybe like this, but with a kickstand in the back, if the hinge section isn't sturdy enough. Keyboard and game portion just inserts into the front part of it. Fold it all up like a laptop for the trip home.

Back