My Pandora 2 and ICP2 Keyboard Layout, GCW One/Dual(February 18th 2013)

Saber

Advanced Member
I. Pandora 2 and ICP2 Keyboard Layout--(January 20th 2013)

Option 1:

dPsLKkl.png

Option 2:

55xLRuu.png

Option 3:

d7EhnDL.png

II. GCW One and Dual Concepts--(February 18th 2013)

WBOHQFB.png

3gYnnPs.png

-------------------------------------------------------

III. Legacy Pandora 2 Concept--(August 17th 2012)

vcUGu.png

IV. Slate

XxUbL.png

V. Specifications and Accessories

• Resistive Touchscreen
  • Ångström-Linux or Android OS(Dual Boot)
  • 802.11n Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.0 Combo(Broadcom BCM4330)
  • USB Wall Charger with µUSB to USB cable
  • Slim Sleeve
  • Travel Case
Thanks for perusing all my concepts. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be blunt, but I couldn't write a novel on this, whilst I rely on my Pandora as a writing tool all the time, and it's something that it's very good at...

The problems I can see, at a glance, are that frequently-used navigation tools like the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys (otherwise known as the gaming buttons), the arrow keys (also known as the d-pad), and the second Shift and CTRL keys (better known by their other identity, the shoulder buttons), are in bizarre positions that require what appears to be strange finger and thumb positioning to use (and it looks like the mouse/nubs also require this), whilst commonly-used letter keys are waaaaaay too high and difficult to reach, and the less-frequently-used number keys are in a spot that would be better used for lettering. The game-controls are also running the risk of accidental presses of keys, due to the way in which they're completely surrounded by them. This doesn't just affect gaming, as it would present a massive issue whilst typing, too.

I'm unsure why you think everyone would be ok with making the device smaller, incidentally. Isn't there an enormous glut of portable electronics that are painfully too-thin to hold and use properly? I know that I certainly encountered that problem terribly with the Nintendo DSi, for example - the ludicrous thinness rendered the shoulder-buttons unusable, and caused me some unbelievable hand-cramps (it's the only handheld that ever gave me those, and is why I dislike things being made thin for the sake of having a bullet-point relating to being "high-tech" or whatever it is that making things too difficult to hold falls under these days). The ideal, I've found, is the 3DS with Nyko's expanded battery, the Pandora, and anything in-between those very similar sizes. :p

There's also a problem that no such 5" screen exists and OP doesn't have the type of demand to warrant a custom one.

There's also a problem that no such 5" screen exists and OP doesn't have the type of demand to warrant a custom one.
Ah, but as you can see here it does, if OpenPandora decides to use that larger screen size.

Well, I first have to say that you are very brave to write a novel(or novella) using a thumb keyboard. I know the portablility factor is what attracts you to use the Pandora, but I strongly encourage you to use another tool for serious writing. A laptop or desktop are far more productive if you have the recommended software installed. Two that come to mind if you use a Windows based computer are PageFour or, if on a Mac, Scrivener, which is my preference. If you remove the portable allure, you'll discover for real world productivity either are better choices on proper hardware, than what you are using possibly almost exclusively now.
There's no bravery to it - it's very easy, and is much more practical than any other portable device I've ever owned. :) I can thumb-type almost as quickly as I can touch-type, and that's pretty damn fast.

Please don't "strongly encourage" useless fluff that just gets in the way, when you know nothing about how I write, or why a Pandora is the only suitable solution for my requirements (really, why would I take a bag or a suitcase to lug a laptop or a desktop around, when I just need to put my Pandora in my pocket? These are not in any way viable alternatives, and never will be, and imagining that they are will simply not make it so - they may be for you, however ;) ). My Pandora *is* a proper, serious tool for serious writing and real-world productivity, because all I need, and all I have ever required, is a text-editor and a keyboard. By virtue of the Pandora using Xfce, I have exactly the same tools at my disposal on my main box as I do on my portable - marvellous!

Or, to put it more succinctly: Don't assume you know better than other people what's best for them, especially not when you're doing so to dodge legitimate gripes with your proposed layout. It's just not a good look...

As for your comment about the gaming controls, if you look closer at the diagram, it should be apparent that they are not surrounded by any of the qwerty keys. The D-pad and Face buttons are located near the edges, like on the Pandora 1, and the nubs are just a tad in from and below them, with a pristine view of the sides and a demure downward glance at the Select and Start buttons. B)
So, the keys that are around the d-pad and face buttons in your diagram are somehow magically not surrounding them? It doesn't matter that some of the edges aren't surrounded - some of them are, and you know full well that that's what I meant. ;)

EDIT: Now you point out the Select and Start buttons, though, you might want to consider putting them closer together - since so many systems that are emulated on the Pandora did that, it would definitely be beneficial for any follow-up device to continue following suit. It does have an impact.

Really nice! I hope we could have L1 L2 R1 and R2, instead of 2 buttons on the back (if that is not a problem of course)

looking at your keyboard design, while holding my pandora, i cant understand how you possibly own one and think that would be a better, or even a good keyboard layout

Well, I first have to say that you are very brave to write a novel(or novella) using a thumb keyboard. I know the portablility factor is what attracts you to use the Pandora, but I strongly encourage you to use another tool for serious writing. A laptop or desktop are far more productive if you have the recommended software installed.

Why on EARTH would anyone take handheld keyboard design advice from you when you don't even love using one?

Two that come to mind if you use a Windows based computer are PageFour or, if on a Mac, Scrivener, which is my preference. If you remove the portable allure, you'll discover for real world productivity either are better choices on proper hardware, than what you are using possibly almost exclusively now.

Again, trivializing people's adoration for this device will hardly garner support for your ideas... but maybe you aren't trying to be persuasive. Seems like you are though.

I am willing to wager that OPT will post design layouts when the time comes, and it will be at that stage the design of the Open Pandora 2 will be somewhat fluid and open for debate. I am equally willing to wager the initial and final designs will look more like the OP1 does now than your proposed design of the OP2. Your design wastes a lot of space on the bottom between the speakers, whereas the current design strikes an elegant balance between spatial economy and ergonomic usability.

This is not to say that people can't or shouldn't bother posting designs. But your layout needs to take into account the successes of the existing device, rather than flagrantly ignoring them based upon your own a posteriori argumentation. Otherwise, I don't know who you're trying to convince.

Well, I first have to say that you are very brave to write a novel(or novella) using a thumb keyboard. I know the portablility factor is what attracts you to use the Pandora, but I strongly encourage you to use another tool for serious writing. A laptop or desktop are far more productive if you have the recommended software installed. Two that come to mind if you use a Windows based computer are PageFour or, if on a Mac, Scrivener, which is my preference. If you remove the portable allure, you'll discover for real world productivity either are better choices on proper hardware, than what you are using possibly almost exclusively now.
There's no bravery to it - it's very easy, and is much more practical than any other portable device I've ever owned. :) I can thumb-type almost as quickly as I can touch-type, and that's pretty damn fast.

Please don't "strongly encourage" useless fluff that just gets in the way, when you know nothing about how I write, or why a Pandora is the only suitable solution for my requirements (really, why would I take a bag or a suitcase to lug a laptop or a desktop around, when I just need to put my Pandora in my pocket? These are not in any way viable alternatives, and never will be, and imagining that they are will simply not make it so - they may be for you, however ;) ). My Pandora *is* a proper, serious tool for serious writing and real-world productivity, because all I need, and all I have ever required, is a text-editor and a keyboard. By virtue of the Pandora using Xfce, I have exactly the same tools at my disposal on my main box as I do on my portable - marvellous!

Or, to put it more succinctly: Don't assume you know better than other people what's best for them, especially not when you're doing so to dodge legitimate gripes with your proposed layout. It's just not a good look...

As for your comment about the gaming controls, if you look closer at the diagram, it should be apparent that they are not surrounded by any of the qwerty keys. The D-pad and Face buttons are located near the edges, like on the Pandora 1, and the nubs are just a tad in from and below them, with a pristine view of the sides and a demure downward glance at the Select and Start buttons. B)
So, the keys that are around the d-pad and face buttons in your diagram are somehow magically not surrounding them? It doesn't matter that some of the edges aren't surrounded - some of them are, and you know full well that that's what I meant. ;)

EDIT: Now you point out the Select and Start buttons, though, you might want to consider putting them closer together - since so many systems that are emulated on the Pandora did that, it would definitely be beneficial for any follow-up device to continue following suit. It does have an impact.
Good luck to you.

Good luck to you.
Thanks very much. :)

The first Pandora 2 concept looks really good, similar to P1 so it remember people that it is the successor, still different to remember that it is not the same thing :)

Is the Pandora Slate Final Version a remake of the first Pandora or still another P2 concept?

The first Pandora 2 concept looks really good, similar to P1 so it remember people that it is the successor, still different to remember that it is not the same thing :)

Is the Pandora Slate Final Version a remake of the first Pandora or still another P2 concept?
Hi albo, thank you again for the kind words. As for your question, yes, the Pandora Slate Final Version is another P2 concept. I thought it would be interesting to see the Pandora 1 in a less expensive to build, smaller slate type form factor which facilitates stylus input. :wub:

like the, very ergonomic and laudably comfortable, Playstation 2 gamepad.
I never liked the playstation 2 gamepad. It has always been way too small to hold comfortably. The XBOX 360 controller is a lot better in my opinion. I even prefer the original XBOX controller (i.e. the really large one) over the PS2 gamepad.

As for your layout. I want the number keys above the qwerty row like on any regular keyboard. Furthermore, I am really struggling with Ctrl, Alt, Shift and Fn combinations on the Pandora 1. Your layout makes this even worse.

Back