My Next Open Linux Based Handheld ..

$550, yikes. Thats not really cheap.

I love my gp2x, and it was sooo cheap for the amount it does.

Guess you could say it was cheap....Looking, That is the ugliest thing i've seen, the design is from a cheap calculator out of a chrismas cracker, The way the screen looks and the shell is it just seems like a waste of space.....
Oh, and while you waiting for you gp3x, why not appreciatte the gp2x first...

i've spent that much money on gp2x already (SD cards/datadisk/datacables), so ..

yeah, $500 for a computer is cheap, in my opinion.. its a good price. $180 is good too, i'm just sayin', 100 - 500 is my cheap-scale.

My cheap scale is relatively low. My GP2X was a big investment, and actually reasonably expensive, but worth it entirely. Hah, the look on those PSP-owners' faces when I walk in the every day with a game I didn't have the previous day...

Yeah but at least they released the source code which means no fire and brimstone from the GPL freakout squad ;)

looks dumb... I my self wouldnt waste my time and money. umm send me a quick $50 if $500 is cheap because i am sure with that thinking 50 bucks is just pocket change. hell $500 that almost as much as my car coast :-(.

I picked up a Sharp Zaurus C1000. It's a 640x480 Linux based PDA with full keyboard, SD, CF, and it runs a full X11 env. It costs $400 from pricejapan.com shipped. It too has a great community with an open source theme. Off topic from GP2X stuff though...

yes it does have a touch screen and it doesnt seem like a very playable (game wise) pmp becuase of the odd postion of the buttons (3 all vertical to eachother) i would assume any emus that are brought to this system would be awkward to play asuming you would be getting it for this reason over the Gp2x thinking that the 400 MHz processor will be better for emulation and if you are i think you might be very disspointed because of the weird buton placement and the battery life is terrible it says under 2 hours! but if you are getting it as a portabe movie/music player then it would still be a wast of time because of the poor battery life. thats my 2 cents

Derek

Why all the hating? It's a nice piece of kit but like most of these hard drive monsters I haven't much use for it. Also, using a portable device to store your photos on isn't a good longterm prospect. Mobile+HD = disk failure. However it has a touch screen which is neat.

Anyway my main handheld use is as an ebook reader which the GP2X does well enough.

Back