Windows Based Tool Chain?

satacoy

Still Fresh
I've successfully used the Windows based tool chain to compile Gp2x applications in the past. While waiting for my Wiz to show up, I figured I'd install the tool chain for it. As far as I can tell, only a Linux based tool chain is available at the moment. Is this the case?

I'm fairly ignorant on how these things work. Do I need to wait until someone (GPH?) releases a Windows based tool chain, or is there a way to form one up myself? I'd really rather not dig up an old machine, figure out how to install Linux on it, and go through that whole process unless necessary.

Squidge posted on May 28 2009 at 11:35 PM said:
Why not use the same tool chain as you use for the gp2x for now?
I'd love to, I just wasn't aware that it was possible. I'm assuming I'd have to use different arguments, different libraries, or change something else. Otherwise GP2x executables and Wiz executables would be the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
satacoy posted on May 29 2009 at 09:53 AM said:
Squidge posted on May 28 2009 at 11:35 PM said:
Why not use the same tool chain as you use for the gp2x for now?
I'd love to, I just wasn't aware that it was possible. I'm assuming I'd have to use different arguments, different libraries, or change something else. Otherwise GP2x executables and Wiz executables would be the same thing.
Theres a thread about by Franxis, you have to modify a couple files and compile dynamically (no static) and specify the right arm core but its supposed to work.

It depends on what libraries you're using. I have no problem compiling statically. The only difference in my makefile is that I target arm926ej, but that only improves code quality. Which now that I think about it is kinda weird given how much of my runtime should be in ASM code.

This only works because I'm not using any libraries that access the hardware and am accessing it in my own code. You shouldn't link GP2X's SDL statically.

BTW, I'm using Open2x, not devkitGP2X. I suggest trying it as well.

Ah, the joys of trying to figure out how to compile for a new device.

One thing I was pained to learn last night is that the Gp2x tool chain, and apparently the GNU cross compiling tools in general, are not compatible with Vista. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it.

As it stands now I'm setting up an XP partition to boot into for Wiz development.

Ah, the joys of trying to figure out how to compile for a new device.

One thing I was pained to learn last night is that the Gp2x tool chain, and apparently the GNU cross compiling tools in general, are not compatible with Vista. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it.

As it stands now I'm setting up an XP partition to boot into for Wiz development.
Isnt it cygwin that has the problems with vista?
You can always use a virtual app running XP/Linux.

Isnt it cygwin that has the problems with vista?
I don't think so, I see the same problem when trying to compile my GP2x apps. I'm using the same makefile and toolchain as I did under XP, but now the build process fails after consuming all my physical memory. I found a few mentions on the web late last night that the GNU cross compiling tools in general were not compatible with Vista.

I'm using vista 64bit sp2 and compiling using the DevkitGP2X, no issues at all from the OS nor the compiler, only errors by my noobish attempts to learn how to compile on gp2x linux -_-

Back