My Next Open Linux Based Handheld ..

Sorry but the Giga Vu Pro looks absolutely craptastic. If all you want is a media player there are dozens out there that do the same thing; have nice screens, large storage capacity, etc. As for the Giga Vu Pro replacing the GP2X... I don't see it. I can't speak for the rest of the forum but I bought my GP2X for gaming, MP3 playing, video viewing, eBook reading, and doing it all in an open source platform. If all you want is media playing then get a video iPod or a Giga Vu Pro... if all you want is gaming then get a PSP... if you want a total package Swiss army knife style handheld then I defy anyone to find a better machine than the GP2X (at least for now).

I think a lot of posters are missing the fact that the GP2X isn't in direct competition with any of these devices... it won't replace the PSP or the iPod or any other "single purpose" device. The whole point of the GP2X is it's versatility and ease of development.

well, i agree that the GP2X is in a league of its own - it is, after all, ultra-cheap hardware, and doesn't have all the features we need ..

but the point is, linux on portable handheld computing is a severe reality now, and there is no reason why ports to the gp2x can't also mean ports to the GigaVuPro .. maybe even cross-compatability ..

i've hacked up my GP2X by now, anyway.. i have 8 SD cards for it, a case, 4 sets of batteries (2600's), a custom Serial/MIDI PCB, i use my DataTank to do SD card swapouts, and thanks to a few talented hardware hackers I know, I have another custom PCB on its way today that will serve as a *full and complete* breakout box for the GP2X, with all exposed interfaces broken out to operational hardware.. yes, this means, TV, Audio, USB, Serial, even JTAG, on a single breakout box ..

Back