My New Project: Final Burn Alpha

Hi Zottd have you tried Masterall Finalburn on the Gizmondo ??? The Emu runs near fullspeed.
Maybe you can ask him to share the code ? If you need a new project why don 't you make a Raine Arcade port.
Link>http://www.rainemu.com/ that is also a great Emu that must be ported to arm.
Hope you will you make ports for both Handhelds. :)

With best regards

Jens

chaos engineer said:
Btw...This will suck for some but...I don't believe this FBA Plus port supports Sega X & Y...very strange since its where Final Burn got its start! I'll look into it. :(

You say x and y board are not supported. X board means Afterburner, Thunder Blade. Y board means G-Loc, Galaxy Force, PowerDrift, Rail Chase.

What's about the out run board, this is a different hardware and means Out Run, Hang-On and turbo out run. Would these games be supported by your Final Burn port for the gp2x? I am afraid that if the x and y board are not supported, this will be the same for the out run board.

Just look at the complexity of those X Y games. It should be no suprise that those will be very difficult/impossible to emulate well on the GP2X with Final burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Just look at the complexity of those X Y games. It should be no suprise that those will be very difficult/impossible to emulate well on the GP2X with Final burn.
I'm glad you've said that, Dave, I really am. Given the alarming regularity with which your "impossible to do on the GP2X" predictions fail to come true, it gives all of us Outrun fans some real hope :)

D.

Heh, Dunny.

There may be a delay in which I can get this emulator up and going. I'm working on it slowly, but I won't mind if someone beats me to it. ;)

Since I really want to see this emulator done on the GP2X, if someone wants to do the groundwork for the emulator and just get it up and running while I tweak things to get them running optimal, let me know.

The issue is I have been speaking to wd of DOSBox and with Boingball's help we can get his port and my eventual dynarec put into their main CVS for upkeep. This is a very important step for me, and I assume boingball.

Basically, I could use a partner on this FBA Plus project.

Dunny said:
DaveC said:
Given the alarming regularity with which your "impossible to do on the GP2X" predictions fail to come true, it gives all of us Outrun fans some real hope :)

D.

And all of these failed predictions are? When I say "impossible", I mean impossible at full speed with sound. I don't consider 1/2 speed with no sound while OC to 300+ MHz "possible", sorry. So far the only "failed prediction" was Sega CD. N64, PSX, Jaguar, Dreamcast are still not anywhere near fullspeed with sound ;)

zodttd said:
Heh, Dunny.
There may be a delay in which I can get this emulator up and going. I'm working on it slowly, but I won't mind if someone beats me to it. ;)

Basically, I could use a partner on this FBA Plus project.

That doesn't sound promising :(

How about just CPS1 then? Might be quicker/easier. That emu is just begging to be ported to the GP2X given the high quality of the CPS2 emu we have now. That was ported from NJs PSP emu. If CPS2 was used as a reference (source for both of NJ'S emu plus Ell's are available) surely it would not be super difficult to do I wouldn't think.

Stop being so damn greedy, if zod wants to work on a Dosbox dynarec let him do just that, it's now like he gave up on this project, he just put it on hold.

Besides, Dos games > cheesy arcade :-]

how feasible would it be, to join forces with pepone and the porter of NJ's cps2 emulator (who did that anyway?) and merge their knowledge and code with an eventual fba port? Could that work out? Then we would have an emulator which would combine the already great features of the other ones into one emulator collection.

Alex. said:
Besides, Dos games > cheesy arcade :-]
DOS games at 1/2 speed without sound and requiring a cumbersome virtual keyboard < "cheesy"(only some of the best shooters and platformers made ;) ) full-speed and actually playable arcade games to me ;)

xnopasaranx said:
how feasible would it be, to join forces with pepone and the porter of NJ's cps2 emulator (who did that anyway?) and merge their knowledge and code with an eventual fba port? Could that work out? Then we would have an emulator which would combine the already great features of the other ones into one emulator collection.

Ell ported CPS2 from the PSP. He has seemed to have vanished after he ported CPS2.

DaveC said:
How about just CPS1 then? Might be quicker/easier.
I have a strong feeling Zod has his heart set on Final Burn. ;)

DaveC said:
DOS games at 1/2 speed without sound and requiring a cumbersome virtual keyboard < "cheesy"
Well the whole point of ZodTTD working on it would be to turn those half speed games without sound into fullspeed games with sound. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I really want Final Burn Alpha Plus on the GP2X. Mostly for the shmups for my own use of it! ;)

My issue with this project is getting the ground work up and going. I can do it, but it will look ugly visually. For instance, the menu system/frontend/gui stuff was written in a class which uses the SDK for the phones which the porter used. When I rip that out, I dont have anything pretty to put in. So like I said, I can do it, I just know there's better people to get this part of the work done by using their previous work. It also gives me some room to work on some other projects.

I'm not sure if anyone feels like getting this emulator up and running and to polish it up. If they do, there is enough interest and it seems like plenty of donations ahead for them. They don't have to worry about getting it going at a certain speed, they can leave that to me. :)

If nobody steps up, I'll get the tedious work done. :p
Maybe Franxis will want to split the workload up with me.

zodttd said:
Yeah, I really want Final Burn Alpha Plus on the GP2X. Mostly for the shmups for my own use of it! ;)

My issue with this project is getting the ground work up and going. I can do it, but it will look ugly visually. For instance, the menu system/frontend/gui stuff was written in a class which uses the SDK for the phones which the porter used. When I rip that out, I dont have anything pretty to put in. So like I said, I can do it, I just know there's better people to get this part of the work done by using their previous work. It also gives me some room to work on some other projects.

I'm not sure if anyone feels like getting this emulator up and running and to polish it up. If they do, there is enough interest and it seems like plenty of donations ahead for them. They don't have to worry about getting it going at a certain speed, they can leave that to me. :)

If nobody steps up, I'll get the tedious work done. :p
Maybe Franxis will want to split the workload up with me.

I wouldn't worry about the menu really. If you got something going and it used scripts that would be better than nothing. At the minimum we could then just use "Selector" for the frontend/gui if it used scripts. I would make a guess that if the emu ended up getting to a useable speed for many of the games, Jycet might come along and make a front-end for it like he did with GnGeo and CPs2 :)

I absolutely agree that the emulator should always come before the menus! If it has command line support, it's only a few minutes to set up GMenu links..
I'm really pleased to hear about this project, keep us posted!
:D

I agree. Gmenu would be a fine way to launch this emu. I already use it for gPSP anyway.

Shadowsithe said:
I like the idea of it being a self contained release. Not everyone's going to have gmenu, especially people new to the GP2X.
It could come bundled with "Selector" then you wouldn't know the difference. While it would be ideal to have it " self contained" getting it with selector is better then nothing at all.

Back