My New Project: Final Burn Alpha

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
I found a cool thread by Franxis mentioning if anyone wanted to port Final Burn Alpha. Well Franxis and I had a quick conversation and decided I should do it. Final Burn Alpha is my new project for the GP2X.

From what I gathered (its been awhile since I used Final Burn!) it's matured from an Afterburner emu to supporting:
Quoted from Franxis' thread:
Air Gallet
Armed Police Batrider
Batsugun
Battle Bakraid
Battle Garegga
Battle K-Road
Dangun Feveron
DoDonPachi
Dogyuun
DonPachi
ESP Ra.De.
Final Star Force
Gaia Crusaders
Gunbird
Guwange
Hyper Pacman
Mahou Daisakusen
Oh My God!
Operation Wolf
Out Zone
Rainbow Islands
Samurai Aces
Shippu Mahou Daisakusen
Snow Bros. 2
Strikers 1945
Tengai / Sengoku Blade: Sengoku Ace Episode II
Truxton II / Tatsujin II / Tatsujin Oh
Uo Poko
V-Five
Capcom CPS-1 (all games)
Capcom CPS-2 (all games)
Cave (do donpachi, donpachi, esprade (ESP Ra.de. - A.D. 2018), fever sos, Gaia Crusaders, guwange, sailromn, uopoko (Puzzle Uo Poko))
Neo Geo (all games)
Toaplan
Taito Rainbow Islands/Operation Wolf/Rastan
Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware

Now if I can just get the Cave shmups working, all is well! This should be fun as I love shmups!

Discuss. Fetching source now. :)

Do you anticipate these games would run close to full speed?

I will donate to show my extreme appreciation for this (after I purchase new underpants, that is ...)

I havent a clue yet, but considering i'm porting it from a PocketPC-based phone I have a good chance. SmartPhones are usually faster than the GP2X, but I might have some advantages. It looks promising and I will try extremely hard to see Final Burn Alpha Plus play at very least the Cave/Psyiko games, as they're some of my favorite games out!

So far so good.

zodttd said:
I havent a clue yet, but considering i'm porting it from a PocketPC-based phone I have a good chance. SmartPhones are usually faster than the GP2X, but I might have some advantages. It looks promising and I will try extremely hard to see Final Burn Alpha Plus play at very least the Cave/Psyiko games, as they're some of my favorite games out!

So far so good.
Sounds like a good choice. Challenging to do, but many of these games especially the CPS1 should be very doable seeing as CPS2 ported fron NJ runs so well now.

You joke about scaling but for CPS2, CPS1 check out how the CPS2 emu on the GP2X does it now. The "software horiz only" scaling option looks decent (even to me) as it uses averaging only for the pixels in the column where they were removed. It leaves the others intact. It would be nice to include such an option.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all 68000/Z80 games, right?

The only thing is that some of them are 68EC020, which is a different beast to 68000.

If you are intending to use Cyclone for the 68000 games that's awesome. What's your intention for the 68EC020 games?

So nice zodttd!

It would be great to play that games on a GP2X....expecting results :D:D

Wow, this Final Burn has matured very well. Last time I checked it only supported CPS1 & CPS2.
Now It´s like GP2X MAME on steroids :D

Looks promising! :)

DaveC said:
The "software horiz only" scaling option looks decent (even to me) as it uses averaging only for the pixels in the column where they were removed.
CPS2emu has hardware and software scaling. It's the hardware iteration that offers the horizontal only option. It would be great if Zod could implement something like this. Good thinking, DaveC.

This is very awesome news. I am also a Cave/Psykio fanatic as well as a Raizing fanatic. I wish you the best of luck in getting this emulator running on the GP2X. Any effort you do is much appreciated, and will be shown with a nice donation. :) BTW I didn't see any SEGA games in the list. The very first versions of Final Burn supported After Burner I&II, and Galaxy Force II. Will this one have those games added as well or does the version that you're porting not support the X or Y Board Hardware. I'm guessing no, but figured I'd at least ask. They seem like pretty beefy hardaware to emulate on the gp2x. Just the fact that Cave games will be playable is good enough for me. Thanks again!

Miika: We could always use our C64 SX-64's if we wanted portable Commodores! :p

As for Afterburner and Galaxy Force, I was wondering what happened to them as well. I'll look into the source some more and see if they are still supported. It would be strange for them to be gone, as it's how it started!

Thanks for the support. I also didnt realise hardware "fine scaling" was figured out on the GP2X. Is CPS2emu using fine or coarse scaling?

zodttd said:
Miika: We could always use our C64 SX-64's if we wanted portable Commodores! :p
Yay but that's just a Commodore 64, which we already have portable. Amiga is the best :D
Umm can you give Amiga a shot in the future?

Back