My Homemade Bob

I noticed in your first picture that you don't have any batteries or a power source hooked up to it. How did you do the VUSB cable? Are you pulling 5V from the GP2X? Thanks. :)

firefly2442 posted on Mar 22 2007 at 06:34 PM said:
I noticed in your first picture that you don't have any batteries or a power source hooked up to it. How did you do the VUSB cable? Are you pulling 5V from the GP2X? Thanks. :)
He clearly states that he has a 3.3volt to 5v convertor, or battery pack, or external PSU.

That is why on the second one it has 3.3v Out and 5v In, so he can connect the power conversion circuit externally, or a battery, or just plug in a 5v AC adaptor.

I don't know about Europe, maybe someone who knows an electrical supply house in Europe can chime in (I know it is around on the boards when we were trying to find the datasheet on the stick).

It is a USBDF01W5 made by SGS Thompson microelectronics

Edit: It appears that there is an Austrian Digikey.com website:

http://dkc1.digikey.com/at/digihome.html

The part is 0.61 euros apiece, enjoy :)

http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/partsea...amp;PV=26738937

Last edited by a moderator:
jokeman posted on Mar 21 2007 at 03:43 AM said:
of course... i don't think, anybody would spend 140,- for this box...
and that's why a private individual can't make money with such a project
but... as nubie always says: it isn't hard to make your own box... it's only time consuming ;)
Yah, but I found the connectors for $0.15 apiece, as long as you buy 500 and pay shipping from china, then have the electrical boards made up in a quantity and you can build BoB for ~$25-40 apiece easily (18-30 euros). I don't know why GPH has the head-up-the-ass syndrome, this would make a lot of money for them.

The trouble is that GPH is deaf to any hints. The USB could have obviously been onboard, if not to start then with the second revision of the circuit board. There is also plenty of room for this termination IC (Integrated Circuit) if they didn't want to do that, so they could make the TV-Out cable with a USB dongle for everybody. (well, as the hackady link shows there is enough room for 2-3 USB ports, AND a termination IC, but that is another story).

He clearly states that he has a 3.3volt to 5v convertor, or battery pack, or external PSU.

That is why on the second one it has 3.3v Out and 5v In, so he can connect the power conversion circuit externally, or a battery, or just plug in a 5v AC adaptor.

Ahh thanks, I didn't notice that.

hitbyambulance posted on Mar 22 2007 at 08:50 PM said:
i like the use of the mints tin as a project box.
hehe... you should see the picture on top of the box... there is santa claus with a big heard-shaped balloon next to a mouse with a heard-balloon too.
and a text: "schön, dass es dich gibt!" which means something like "nice that you are here!"

nubie posted on Mar 23 2007 at 03:01 AM said:
well... that's the idea. but i only have the PSU at the moment
do you know a way to build a 3.3volt to 5v convertor (with a good efficiency factor)... i've found no info on this so far

thx... i'll give it a try, when i have time for it

jokeman posted on Mar 23 2007 at 08:37 AM said:
Anyone know if you can get this in the UK anywhere?
Thought I'd found it at Farnells but I can't seem to find it now (which is annoying!)
Tried the usual place, Maplin, no luck there though (at least not the way I search :) )

Any ideas? :)
Thanks

BenScar posted on Mar 25 2007 at 12:01 PM said:
jokeman posted on Mar 23 2007 at 08:37 AM said:
Anyone know if you can get this in the UK anywhere?
Thought I'd found it at Farnells but I can't seem to find it now (which is annoying!)
Tried the usual place, Maplin, no luck there though (at least not the way I search :) )

Any ideas? :)
Thanks
Digikey UK:

http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/digihome.html

I have no idea how this works internationally, but they do have a specific page for the UK, so that at least is something.

nubie posted on Mar 28 2007 at 07:49 PM said:
Digikey UK:

http://dkc1.digikey.com/uk/digihome.html

I have no idea how this works internationally, but they do have a specific page for the UK, so that at least is something.
I just found that myself as well!
Sadly they want 18 odd dollars to ship to the UK, looks like they just use that to display the prices in Pounds.
Shame really, I would have ordered from them otherwise!

Thanks for the heads up, my search continues :)

Back