My Homemade Bob

GameGod

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

I was originally planning on making just a USB host cable, but when I was at my local electronics goodies store I came across an S-Video connector and the RCA plugs, so I ended up building a mini break-out box:

It's not my best soldering job ever, but it works, lol... It's got a USB host port (with the USB filter circuit found on the wiki), S-Video out, and audio out. I used a Samsung E810 USB cable to get the 24-pin connector.

Anyways, I just thought I'd post some pics... enjoy!

That's incredibly small GameGod, good job! You should sell these for something along $15 :)

- Alex

Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

No, it doesn't have all the features of the big breakout box - it's missing the serial and JTAG ports. (I don't plan on bricking my GP2X anytime soon though, so hopefully I won't need those...)

Definitely nice. If you added the ability to use external power and shoved it all into a case, I'd buy one for 20 dollars in a nanosecond.

Awesome. The usb host looks like a usb male... shouldnt it be female. Unless your planning on plugging it into a usb hub. I would easily pay 25 dollars for a usb host/tv out cable. Its too bad arttaylor is in the uk.

Alex. posted on Mar 2 2007 at 02:19 AM said:
You should sell these for something along $15 :)
yalborap posted on Mar 2 2007 at 06:13 AM said:
I'd buy one for 20 dollars in a nanosecond.
Jackd posted on Mar 2 2007 at 07:35 AM said:
I would easily pay 25 dollars for a usb host/tv out cable.
Guys, stop bidding :D

Anyway, great job, makes me wish i could deal with electronics too.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just want:

to TV
/
GP2x to wall socket for power
\
to 2 or 3 or 4 usb joypads

i'd pay £25 for summat like that.

if your going to make a how to do it guide , can you make it for idiots like me to follow.....d. i .y for me stands for destroy it yourself....

Jackd: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it is a USB female plug on there... (You do need to plug a USB hub into that though, so you can use non-3.3V USB devices with it.)

As for a HOWTO, I don't really know what to say. I just looked at the pinouts for everything and just wired it up. I can give you all the resources I used though, and my parts list:

EXT connector pinout: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Image:Bob_ext.png
(The USB host part and the TV/Audio out part is all that I used.)

USB filter: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Image:Bob_usb_filter.png
That picture illustrates how to wire up the filter circuit for the USB host port. For some reason or another, the GP2X's USB signal is quite crappy, and this circuit smooths it out.

S-Video pinout: http://www.ghearing.com/?Gabe:ATI_All-In-W...t:SVideo_Pinout
All you should be concerned with here is the 4-pin version. The luma and chroma should be hooked up to the EXT port's VIDEO_Y and VIDEO_C pins.

Parts:
- S-Video female jack (4-pin)
- Two RCA female jacks
- Two 50 pf capacitors (the filter circuit asks for 47pf, but 50pf worked fine)
- Two 33 ohm resistors
- Two 33 kilo-ohm resistors
- Samsung E810 USB cable (inside the E810 USB cable's EXT connector is a relatively easy configuration of the 24 pins for soldering. You'd think 24 pins in such a tight spot would make it ridiculously hard to solder, but the way they're spread out is quite clever, and it makes your life a lot easier. I don't think the E810 serial cable is like this, so I'd definitely recommend getting the USB one.)

I just want to point out that there's nothing new in the information that I posted above. All I did was scrape information from the wiki to construct my BOB... all the hard work in figuring out the details was done by other people before me. :)

Back