Attaching A Usb Keyboard Via E810 Usb Cable?

sausage

Still Fresh
Website
waynejohnson.net
Hi Guys,

I have been reading a lot of threads about the USB host side of things and I want to try and connect a USB keyboard (specifically an Alphagrip AG-5).

I have read about getting Samsung E810 cables but these mainly discuss serial cables and cutting them up to make some sort of usb cable. I haven't heard anyone mention if a straight E810 USB cable is compatible and ready to go.

There is a cable here available to buy: http://www.circuitcentral.com.au/Samsung-E...le-p-30281.html

Would this be compatible and ready to plug a keyboard in one end and the other into the ext port and away I go?

My only thought would be that the block in the centre has a data buffer on it and I would have to cut it out and rejoin the wires.

By the way, my unit is a MK2 with 5 volt supply so I don't need any 3.3 -> volt conversion.

Many thanks.

i think its impossible to tell unless the pinout of the E810 cable is around somwhere (would have to match the gp2x) i doubt the pinout matches since video is carried over the same cable for tv out...

although if the cable has all the pins intact and available it would be possible to make it match the gp2x interface

Ah ok. Quite true that the usb lines would most likely be different to the lines in the GP2X.

Actually a cheaper one is being sold on ebay out of hong kong: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-2-0-Data-Cable-...1QQcmdZViewItem

So provided that I get the cable and slice it and match the lines correctly and that all 4 nescessary pins exist, and because I have 5 volts, it should work with nothing else required?

Sorry to bump but I would live a straight answer form anyone one way or another. If I purchased an E810 USB cable, chopped it in the middle (if it has a block, chop that right out) and if I join the correct USB pins on the EXT side to the correct pins on the USB cable side, is that I need to get a USB keyboard working? I have the latest 5 volt model.

Yes I think that extra module is only for 3.3V -> 5V conversion which i don't need with my model of the GP2X.

However, I may need to add those resistors to the lines.

Well it looks like there is no definate answer yet so I'll just have to buy a cable, start experimenting and post the results on the wiki.

Yes I think that extra module is only for 3.3V -> 5V conversion which i don't need with my model of the GP2X.

However, I may need to add those resistors to the lines.

No no, that extra module is a filter circuit for the USB signal. Double check the wiki about this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back