My First Mame Bartop "cabinet" Complete, Finally

dosteridge said:
I love it, absolutly quality job Davec :)

You should market it ;)
I'd buy one. Or a DIY kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.... this would be awesome.

Using your same hardware and sizing, make a gp2x looking case but have a front end that looks like the gp2x firmwares. it'd be huge and have better battery life!

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Dave, that looks fantastic! I wish I had the knowledge to make something like that :(
Get a laptop. Put it in a big box. Slap a Joystiq in the other compartment. Decorate. :p

Wow, that is very well done! I like the bezel a lot. I should have asked for tips w/ my MAME cabinet when I first started.

RE Mala, I'd use that in my cab but it doesn't support key-repeat so it doesn't work with my IPAC. Once it's done, I'm upgrading.

My cab for those interested

http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/mame.html

Just put a nice 19" WG D9500 multi-sync and boy does it look great! I can't lug it around though. hehe

~telengard

telengard said:
Wow, that is very well done! I like the bezel a lot. I should have asked for tips w/ my MAME cabinet when I first started.

RE Mala, I'd use that in my cab but it doesn't support key-repeat so it doesn't work with my IPAC. Once it's done, I'm upgrading.

Just put a nice 19" WG D9500 multi-sync and boy does it look great! I can't lug it around though. hehe

~telengard

Very very nice conversion! i especially like the themed artwork. that controller would be great for Gorf or Tron... but then you need a paddle. :)

tell me about mala and key repeat?

Fat Agnus said:
telengard said:

~telengard

Very very nice conversion! i especially like the themed artwork. that controller would be great for Gorf or Tron... but then you need a paddle. :)

tell me about mala and key repeat?

Hehe, did you look at the "Control Panel" page? Spinner is *very* possible. B)

Oh, and don't be "ashamed" of your cab. It's awesome. I didn't build mine from scratch either. I bought a used converstion to start with because I can't do woodworking type stuff. All that matters is that you enjoy it and give it some TLC every once in a while! :)

Well, the issue with Mala and key repeat is that the IPAC does not send key repeats I guess. My current front end (AdvanceMenu) will still scroll when a key is held down. Mala won't. There is an updated chip for the IPAC to do the key repeat but it's not worth the effort. Mala looks quite nice though.

I should probably stick to "if it ain't broke".... Mine has been working for years for the most part untouched (except for mame upgrades).

Oh and +10 points to who can tell me what game my artwork is themed after? I used to take it for granted people knew but I think I'm getting old. You know you are old when kids have no clue who Led Zepplin are. :)

EDIT: DaveC started this thread and I'm pretty sure he knows so it's an easy 10 points. :)

~telengard

telengard said:
Oh and +10 points to who can tell me what game my artwork is themed after? I used to take it for granted people knew but I think I'm getting old. You know you are old when kids have no clue who Led Zepplin are. :)
Defender :) "Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good"

11-03-06-defender.jpg

saehn said:
telengard said:
Defender :) "Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good"

11-03-06-defender.jpg

Hrmmm, I dunno. It's a stretch. :lol:

cabinet_side.jpg

I'll give you the 10 points anyway.

So you know some Led Zep, cool. How old are you? :)

I worked at a place and the kids working there had *no idea* who they were which kinda freaked me out for some reason...

EDIT: Holy smokes, that image is huge. Is there a way to make it smaller with some tags??

~telengard

Finally got some movie snapshots / preview videos on the front end. Does anyone know of a better place other than emumovies for game videos? They seem to be pretty good but no where near complete.

BTW, what front ends are you guys using? Here's that front end w/ the previews running on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTM5MxnMgYE

mame-rcade-front-end-with-mala.jpg

Fat Agnus said:
Finally got some movie snapshots / preview videos on the front end. Does anyone know of a better place other than emumovies for game videos? They seem to be pretty good but no where near complete.

What types of videos are you missing, maybe I can help. :D

telengard said:
So you know some Led Zep, cool. How old are you? :)

I worked at a place and the kids working there had *no idea* who they were which kinda freaked me out for some reason...

EDIT: Holy smokes, that image is huge. Is there a way to make it smaller with some tags??

~telengard
I'm 17, and my Led Zep record collection takes pride of place on my shelves. Anyone who doesn't know who Led Zeppelin are deserves a slap.

Just wish I could have got tickets to their latest gig. :(

Circo said:
Fat Agnus said:

Heh, thanks Circo. I didn't realize you lurked here too! Either way, I found most of what I wanted that are still emumovies WIP's in the old cdbrown dir on your FTP site.

...and yes, you still rule for collecting all of the stuff and standardizing their names and encoding.

I do have a small request though... the box art and cart scans... do you have higher quality versions of them like you do for movies?

thanks again

Fat Agnus said:
Circo said:
Fat Agnus said:

Heh, thanks Circo. I didn't realize you lurked here too! Either way, I found most of what I wanted that are still emumovies WIP's in the old cdbrown dir on your FTP site.

...and yes, you still rule for collecting all of the stuff and standardizing their names and encoding.

I do have a small request though... the box art and cart scans... do you have higher quality versions of them like you do for movies?

thanks again

Wow, forgot to check back here lol, actually I have spent a lot of time finding the best scans I could but since I do not have originals I am limited to whats out there on the artwork.

Back