My Fetish Dos-mame Hybryd Cabinet

Q

quasist

I got last saturday some old furniture to be dumped away from my room, but used my little carpenrty skill to rework it as some sort of an arcade cabinet.

Since I never played real arcade machine and keyboard is my best friend, I used my old-school computer as a prime device. That gives me nice way to play games like Tyrian, Stargunner, Alien Rampage e.t.c. without DosBoxing any on my laptop.

But It was not enogh for me, and I plugged the GP2X and Cradle through PCI TV-Tuner. So now I got stable Mame, Sega md, Nes, Snes e.t.c. emulation on my Celeron 333Mhz with no USB ports on it :D

The size of construction is 55x75x200.

Althrough It lacks Arcade Controls and no Speakers yet, but I will certanly have a nice winter holidays.

I'll repeat : I never played real Arcade machine, so It is more like very-useable furniture to me :).

pict0046df3.th.jpg
Which old bed do not want end being the MAME CABINET???

OH GOD IT'S NAKED!!

Think of the children!

Nice start! I wonder what will come out of it after winter holidays. Btw. it seems to me the playing area of the cabinet is a bit on the low side, considering the girls are still pretty young. But usually arcade cabinets have the screen in a more horizontal position, so you look at it from above and then the height is less important. Maybe you can find a way to tilt the screen more backwards and create a nice frame around it to make it look more genuine.

Keep us informed about your progress!

I never touched real arcade, so I made "playing area" (where the keyboard is) at level where my hands comfortably can use keyboard without much tension to arms.
I hope oneday to replace the monitor with rotating LCD one at the far side of cabinet.
I do not plan to integrate the custom controls. I think I will just use a pair of some USB arcade sticks for Mame.

You should try and play on a real arcade cabinet... for research purposes at least! Don't they have any in your area?

Only arcade machine I remember - the Virtual Reality-one in ~2000 year. Named something like "Killer Zone". The 2player shooter (cooperative) with Virtual Reality glasses and a gun. Does someone have info about that game/machine?

PoisonedV said:
Maybe you could use a pandora as the backend?
With it's single USB slot? :D Even Asus EEE PC will be more functional and with wider selections of emus/apps.

GP2X plugged through TV-Tuner gives free superb scanline effect that no filter can even mimic :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Never... played... an arcade cabinet game? Oh my god, I can't imagine. If I had the money, I'd ship one of my cabinets to you. Half of the experience of playing an arcade game is stacking your coins on the control panel to show you're next, the feel of the buttons, the cigarette burns on the plexiglass, the bad lighting, the feeling of several people watching your every movement over your shoulders. Wow, I mean MAME is great but a big part of it is the flashback you get that takes you back to the first time you saw Donkey Kong or Pacman. I'm sorry you missed all that, arcades were a HUGE part of my pre-teen to late teen years and I have a lot of great memories... don't get me wrong though, there were a lot of games that really, really sucked too. :lol:

pkostrze said:
Never... played... an arcade cabinet game? Oh my god, I can't imagine. If I had the money, I'd ship one of my cabinets to you. Half of the experience of playing an arcade game is stacking your coins on the control panel to show you're next, the feel of the buttons, the cigarette burns on the plexiglass, the bad lighting, the feeling of several people watching your every movement over your shoulders. Wow, I mean MAME is great but a big part of it is the flashback you get that takes you back to the first time you saw Donkey Kong or Pacman. I'm sorry you missed all that, arcades were a HUGE part of my pre-teen to late teen years and I have a lot of great memories... don't get me wrong though, there were a lot of games that really, really sucked too. :lol:
Got to agree with this, i can't believe you've never played an arcade cab either quasist! :blink: I think i'd have had a rather bland childhood without them. There was nothing like the atmosphere in a really good arcade, arcade/pool hall. You knew the really good players as they usually had a couple of people standing behind them at any one time watching them play.

My local arcade used to have a 'happy hour' every wednesday, where they'd come round and give everyone free games for 1 hour. I think my favourite arcade experiences were probably Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Robocop(1), R-Type, Salamander, Gryzor, Ikari Warriors, Wonderboy and Rastan.

Other favourites i liked but weren't very good at were - Pacland, APB, 720, Xain' D Sleena, Operation Wolf, Jackal, ChaseHQ and Hang-on.

Im now really looking forward to being able to play these properly on the Pandora!

pkostrze said:
If I had the money, I'd ship one of my cabinets to you.

One of? How many do you own? :blink:

Owning an arcade cabinet was something i always wanted to do back in the day, and now i do! I bought a second hand Cab a few years back, tidied it up an converted it for Mame! :)

Anyone else have good memories to share from the arcade years? For instance, my claim to fame at the time was i was able to complete Double Dragon or Robocop with just 10p!

Yeah, much too much time spent in amusement arcades during the early 80s :)
I remember especially when Galaxian was released (about 1980? If so I was 13 or 14 - happy days) - we were so in awe of the colour graphics.

Watching good players on Defender... that sticks in my mind.

Not the same any more - arcades haven't got the same ambience - especially miss the stale cigarette smell..

One of? How many do you own? :blink:

Owning an arcade cabinet was something i always wanted to do back in the day, and now i do! I bought a second hand Cab a few years back, tidied it up an converted it for Mame! :)

Anyone else have good memories to share from the arcade years? For instance, my claim to fame at the time was i was able to complete Double Dragon or Robocop with just 10p!

I have two - A Vanguard badly converted to Twin Cobras and a pretty nice Nintendo VS with the gun torn off... of course they're both needing q lot of work still. I plan on restoring the Vanguard to its original state and the Nintendo to a MAME cabinet.

My games of choice were Black Tiger, Xevious, Raiden, and Gauntlet

Anyone else own their own Arcade Cabinets? Either Original or converted for Mame? Pics? :)

fade said:
Anyone else own their own Arcade Cabinets? Either Original or converted for Mame? Pics? :)
Here's a comparison of my previous arcade cabinet in a face off against the gp2x:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmolhMSgyg

Here's us playing Blasteroids on my cabinet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjWXlZLPsuA

Here's what the front end looked like last year. Current version doesn't have pauses in video switching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwMvsLspD8

30a7uxg.jpg

ive got 3 ill have to take some pics with my cell later .. a SF2 turbo restore, then my first build .. and now my current project that fixes everything i didnt know in the first one.. as a side project im also working with some jukebox software to do some transparency stuff..

and just incase your serious about it make sure you head to the BYOAC wiki n start there. pretty much find all the other related sites from that place :>

as i side note they arnt kidding about if you start its a never ending hobby, but it keeps me outa trouble too sooo ...

Back