My Fellow Pyrians, and Developers. (cell phone Poll)

How do you view the Pyra?

• Cellphone Replacement / Smartphone Replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hello everyone I never expected so many comments in under 14 hours this is incredible, let me get some things before I write another article, preferably documentation on how the chip works I don't know if it is a plug and play chip or a chip that was added if the board to be implemented later, yes I got a little cared a way with the poll questions.

You should expect a reply a couple hours from now, Ben qi NanoNote by qihardware probaby vapor ware by now. 512mb nand and a 466mhz mips processor.
Still waiting for the "don't know"-options...

Uh wow yeah, "I don't know where my time went " checccck!!!!

The documentation makes development a no brainer, its an automotive grade chip with all the hard work done ie plug and play in terms of coding a fragment I'm going to enjoy that. "I don't care I just play games" or why would you even care about using the pyra's cellular aspects; I wasn't looking for an apathetic response, just an idea and some info. Yes and some of you peering at this thread are academics thinking that signal processing and engineering are fun and stimulating (yay engineering and development) and of course we have none STEM people on board thinking WTF? Its ok signal processing is mainly a mathmatical approach to decoding signals in the air to data its really neat stuff

Does anyone know if programming a cell radio for other types of modulation is legal in the USA?

I think that using it just for receiving would be illegal as well, depending on what you were receiving: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511(I didn't read much of it).

To use it for communication you would need to transmit as well, at least to establish a connection with the towers.  It is pretty useless to do just that, and you would need to transmit to use any of the services.

Not necessarily. I heard mention of using it as a police scanner.

Also, it seems to me it would only be illegal if I used it to intercept someone elses stuff. If I use it for my own purposes, it wouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure how a cell radio will function as a police scanner or whatever else you want.

Also, it seems to me it would only be illegal if I used it to intercept someone elses stuff. If I use it for my own purposes, it wouldn't be.
I can see how it might be considered legal to use it to receive your own broadcasts but that assumes you have the legal right to make such broadcasts in the first place. You can't just go spilling radio into the air, you need a license to broadcast at a specific frequency.

Yes, but not below a certain power. Think about the people that play Christmas music over FM or AM outside their house. They don't have a license for that.

Fair point. I'm not sure if that's only because they're certified devices or if it really is just because they are low power though.

Could you build your own low power broadcaster that only goes 10ft? Like, you could, and you would never be caught, but not getting caught doesn't mean it's legal.

I'd just say go for it because you will never be caught if that's all you're doing, and in the improbable event you are caught then you aren't causing any harm and likely to get just a warning or something. Whether it is actually legal to just broadcast whatever you want in an extremely small radius I don't know.

I do know that usually the Christmas music people build their own.
Ah, I thought you meant those ones that you buy that broadcast on some selected channel.Regardless, point is the same, not getting caught because it is such low power isn't the same as being legal. I can't say whether it is legal or not, but even if it is technically illegal I still don't think anyone would bother prosecuting.

I am pretty sure the FCC has some basic guidelines on this.  I think I looked into it a few years ago, although I wasn't trying exactly what you might be.  I think I was trying to find out about what frequencies I could legally transmit on without licensing and what the restrictions were.  I was neither concerned about what was legal in a practical sense, or getting licensed, I was just curious how I could get the greatest differences with the least interference for somewhat common receivers and not have someone track me down to fine me/lock me up.

On the legal vs. able to purchase, many of the 2 way radio sets you can buy at many stores include freqs anyone can use (below a certain power) and also some that are only usable by those who are licensed.  The licensed stuff reaches a greater distance, so it is rather stupid to include it if most people can't use it.  The radios in the toy section usually skip those requiring licensing.  Then there is CB and such.

I thought there was someone around here that is more knowlegdeable of this stuff.  Maybe they are not from or near the US, or they might not have seen this thread.

Out of curiosity, Silent-Hunter, are you more concerned with staying legal or just experimenting?  As WizardStan said, as long as things are not noticeable by others you are probably fine, but that doesn't mean it is legal.  I would probably just play around until I got to the point where I was transmitting on freqs or with enough power that it might cause problems, and then I would do a lot of research, so I am just wondering what matters to you...and what you have in mind.

Neither. I'm just curious about the legal landscape, I don't have the knowledge to reprogram the telephony chip.

Then I am pretty sure that, as long as you don't violate things along the lines of my link in post #30, you can do whatever you want if just receiving.

Back