My Dreamcast Port, Where Next?

cb88 said:
hmm.. not sure i should give it away or contribute a further hint xD maybe you saw it maybe you didn't Edited

Do you know the mystery game cb88, or is yours just an educated guess like the rest of us? If you know it, how do you know what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeno Arrow said:
cb88 said:
hmm.. not sure i should give it away or contribute a further hint xD maybe you saw it maybe you didn't Edited

Do you know the mystery game cb88, or is yours just an educated guess like the rest of us? If you know it, how do you know what it is?
I think the Pandora version might be called "Oh Timmy, what have you done?" as this was one of the names we considered calling it originally.
On a more serious note, now that I have got people's attention, does anyone know if anyone has got any code running on the SGX yet?

TheGoodDoktor said:
This Google stalking thing worries me, I'll have to be careful what I say if my identity can't be protected by the anonymity of the boards!
Heh... I try not to say things that'd come back to haunt me. I'm damned easy to find, really... ;)

Google has quite a bit inside itself and makes it embarassingly easy to track people down if you have a PI's type of deductive reasoning.

Out of interest, where did I slip up?

Unique handle. Much like mine and a few others on this board- the handle pops up in another homebrew games forum, in which the poster in the discussion thread the handle shows indicates he usually lurks but is the lead gameplay dev for a production house that did (and still does) console titles. If you're that individual, I can see why you'd normally want anonymity- you'd have every Tom, Dick, and Harry pestering you for a job. :D

Oh and I don't think it's what you're hinting.

Heh... Perhaps, perhaps not. That's why I didn't state anything or put in the innuendos (yes, that's what they are...) in the banter.

I own quite a few DC titles and I never picked yours up. If we are to believe everything.

Hope it can make it to the Pandora!

TheGoodDoktor said:
On a more serious note, now that I have got people's attention, does anyone know if anyone has got any code running on the SGX yet?
Not sure, but you might want to keep an eye on this discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard...a0c0f5354afaab#

Maybe there is a way to build an ARM based Angstrom image with the driver above and run it in QEMU (or similar) to get a dev environment with SGX support on a standard PC/Mac?

Not suggesting you'll be able to run SGX code with the arrangement I described above, maybe it will be helpful for other reasons (compiling code??).

icurafu said:
xgamestation

http://www.xgamestation.com/phpbb/viewtopi...e2965a43930012a

takes us...

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/games/

Brings us to...

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/games/metr...s_street_racer/

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...olisstreetracer

It has more focus on music than the fur game. Which is more specific to MSR.

Correct?

Well it was stated it was one of the highest rated Metacritic games. MSR > Fur Fighters in Metacritic's ratings. You took the long way on that last step B)

TheGoodDoktor said:
You shouldn't assume it's a Bizarre game just because I work there.
Heh... There IS that. But then... If it's one of the highest rated titles, and it's NOT MSR, then what is it, perchance...

Oh, you're a clever one. Now you're going to have us chasing our tails for a while longer indeed.

Speaking of Bizarre's titles, any of them up for discussion on the Pandora or Linux? :D

TheGoodDoktor said:
I think the Pandora version might be called "Oh Timmy, what have you done?" as this was one of the names we considered calling it originally.
Okay... Now you've boggled all of us... Well done, sir! Well, done!

Not without a serious NDA having been signed. The GPL kernel wedge just hit but you still need an NDA for a bit yet on the userspace BLOB library. I'll know more once we hear from one of the main devs or I'll ask about it once the initial cuts of the Angstrom baseline gel.

/facepalm

Going to take more than 3 minutes to see if I can find it.

Phawx said:
/facepalm

Going to take more than 3 minutes to see if I can find it.
Why do you think I congratulated the gent on his evilness... I'm having to refrain from digging as I'm up at work and then when I get home, I've got distribution work to do. :D

MDave said:
It's gotta be the twin stick shooter ;)
Heh... Why that one? Another "top rated title" is Power Stone 2. Another one would be Test Drive Le Mans.
It could just as easily be any one of the Top 20 titles at Metacritic. :D

I was under the impression that this was a dreamcast emulator. Wouldn't this cause TheGoodDoktor to write a dreamcast emulator so your game could run? Or are you going from source to a Pandora edition?

Powerstone would be unbelievable. Could you imagine a multiplayer PowerStone.

Curse the PSP's Controls!

CandidStan said:
Or are you going from source to a Pandora edition?
Heh... This is a source PORT from Dreamcast to Pandora, according to our erstwhile console dev, something he has access to the source code to (and would have been one to have had that sort of access without too much asking about it...).

Somehow I doubt it will be Power Stone. Much more likely to be a Dreamcast game made in the UK, seeing as TheGoodDoktor has already admitted he worked on it (and from the XGameStation thread seems to have UK-only (possibly Europe-only) game industry experience. Apologies if this Google detective stuff is freaking you out TheGoodDoktor, you could just tell us what it is to stop this speculation, right?).

Here's the list of top 50 Dreamcast games according to Metacritic:

Soul Calibur
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
NFL 2K1
Jet Grind Radio
Skies of Arcadia
Quake III Arena
Test Drive Le Mans
NBA2K1
NBA 2K2
Virtua Tennis: Sega Professional Tennis
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Super Heroes
Tennis 2K2
Unreal Tournament
NFL 2K2
Grandia II
Samba De Amigo
Phantasy Star Online
Sonic Adventure 2
Guilty Gear (Import)
Shenmue
Shenmue II (Import)
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Power Stone 2
Metropolis Street Racer
Bangai-O
Headhunter (Import)
Test Drive V-Rally
Daytona USA
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Ferrari F355 Challenge: Passione Rossa
Street Fighter III: Double Impact
Sega GT
San Francisco Rush 2049
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Typing of the Dead
Looney Tunes: Space Race
Crazy Taxi 2
Seaman
Ikaruga
Ooga Booga
Railroad Tycoon II
Project Justice
Bomberman Online
Capcom vs. SNK
Fur Fighters
Spider-Man
NHL 2K2
Vanishing Point
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2

From that list, here are the ones made in the UK:

Metropolis Street Racer
Fur Fighters
Vanishing Point

Expand this list to include games developed in Europe and you get:

Metropolis Street Racer
Fur Fighters
Vanishing Point
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
Test Drive V-Rally
Headhunter

So now I'm thinking either Vanishing Point or an unreleased Dreamcast game (the unreleased thing would make more sense, less legal mess to sort through, probably).

Zeno Arrow said:
...an unreleased Dreamcast game (the unreleased thing would make more sense, less legal mess to sort through, probably).
You base your whole post around high Metacritic scores, then contradict yourself?

Downsider002 said:
Zeno Arrow said:
...an unreleased Dreamcast game (the unreleased thing would make more sense, less legal mess to sort through, probably).
You base your whole post around high Metacritic scores, then contradict yourself?

Ah good point! D'oh! So Vanishing Point is my guess now then. ;)

Svartalf said:
Go dredging back through the threads a bit... He's got access to one of the top rated by Metacritic DC titles- all he'll say at this time since the source access and publication rights access are complete different beasties in many cases on console and PC game titles. I believe he's got source access, but hasn't gotten concrete publication rights signoff yet.
I would've gone with 'unreleased', but if it is a top rated title, then it is probably one of the ones from the UK. Seeing as he works for Bizarre, I'm gonna go ahead and go with either Fur Fighters or Metropolis Street Racer. Sorry about the stalking by the way, you sort of made me do it.

Back