My Concepts For Pandora

pandora said:
x68000 said:
come on pandora, please show some tact - Like i did in my reply!

I never used the word 'yuk' once! You nasty bstard! ;)
pah! Tact?!? You're just too soft. ;)

My Sensitive side prevails - for once!!!!!

Oooops! there it goes again!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That image was just some quick concept I made with Paint Shop Pro. I'm not a designer and I just wanted to show you some of my ideas because I don't personally like the "laptop" design of Pandora. Sorry for being negative towards you, but I don't like just "I don't like it" replys. Thanks for clarifying the bad sides of my designs.

Joppu said:
That image was just some quick concept I made with Paint Shop Pro. I'm not a designer and I just wanted to show you some of my ideas because I don't personally like the "laptop" design of Pandora. Sorry for being negative towards you, but I don't like just "I don't like it" replys. Thanks for clarifying the bad sides of my designs.
Now, if you had just searched then you would have found out that other people had already posted the same kind of design, and known what people had said about it :)

Squidge said:
Joppu said:
Now, if you had just searched then you would have found out that other people had already posted the same kind of design, and known what people had said about it :)

It was as crap then as it is today :)

The Pandora's final form has indeed been cast in stone, but I'm occasionally wondering how hard it would exactly be to do a DIY-conversion of the screen lid to make it swivel. You know, like the Zauruses/Zauri/whatever did.

I know this is a patented design, but does that mean a guide on how to do this yourself, maybe including some needed parts, is impossible as well?

Karel Jansens said:
I know this is a patented design, but does that mean a guide on how to do this yourself, maybe including some needed parts, is impossible as well?
Nothing is impossible, but it is far from easy. You would need to fabricate a new hinge mechanism and either modify or completely replace the outer shell on the top and bottom halves. If you want to the lid to flip all the way back you would need a 2-part hinge to compensate for the thickness of the unit. Good luck getting that sturdy enough so your display doesn't flop around. You also may need to lengthen the video ribbon cable to accommodate all the extra movement.

Considering those that have mockups say that the touchscreen works great as-is, a tablet mode mod is quite a bit more trouble than it is worth, unless you're just the modding type.

Chip said:
Nothing is impossible, but it is far from easy. You would need to fabricate a new hinge mechanism and either modify or completely replace the outer shell on the top and bottom halves. If you want to the lid to flip all the way back you would need a 2-part hinge to compensate for the thickness of the unit. Good luck getting that sturdy enough so your display doesn't flop around. You also may need to lengthen the video ribbon cable to accommodate all the extra movement.

Considering those that have mockups say that the touchscreen works great as-is, a tablet mode mod is quite a bit more trouble than it is worth, unless you're just the modding type.
It probably is. Nevertheless, I can see (for myself at least) a couple of functions where the tablet just is better. Bookreading, drawing and (provided I will ever find a Linux HWR system) taking written notes are the most obvious ones. I'll just wait and see if I can cope...

Karel Jansens said:
The Pandora's final form has indeed been cast in stone, but I'm occasionally wondering how hard it would exactly be to do a DIY-conversion of the screen lid to make it swivel. You know, like the Zauruses/Zauri/whatever did.

As they say (Whoever they is ?) anything is possible (within reason), So i`m pretty sure modding/converting ones pandora to incorporate a swivel screen is in the realms of possibility. Though i`m pretty sure any mod/conversion as extreme as one such as this WILL NOT be covered by warranty should anyone undertake such a task and kill/mutilate their pandora in the process. As for a guide to perform such a mod, It`s probably way to early to tell what will/won`t be possible hardware modding wise untill the pandora is released to the public at large and the see what happens once the hardware hackers of the community get their grubby mitts on the actual hardware.

Trooper

trooper said:
As they say (Whoever they is ?) anything is possible (within reason), So i`m pretty sure modding/converting ones pandora to incorporate a swivel screen is in the realms of possibility. Though i`m pretty sure any mod/conversion as extreme as one such as this WILL NOT be covered by warranty should anyone undertake such a task and kill/mutilate their pandora in the process. As for a guide to perform such a mod, It`s probably way to early to tell what will/won`t be possible hardware modding wise untill the pandora is released to the public at large and the see what happens once the hardware hackers of the community get their grubby mitts on the actual hardware.

Trooper
Amen, but I bet that within 10 minutes most everybody will like it, or return it.

Back