Pandora For Downloading?

DarthScape

Still Fresh
I bet I'm not the only one thinking about this. What if you could run some kind of torrent application on the Pandora, so wherever you are, it will pick up a free wifi signal and use the internet for torrents. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to develop that type of application. Only thing I would be concerned about is the battery life. Also, is there any other device that might work for that?

MrBlais said:
I don't believe torrent applications are open-source. However, I could be wrong
There are tons of open-source bittorent clients, what gave you that idea?

i'm pretty sure we've got one, if not several already in the angstrom repo. should be a trivial install.

As for getting wifi anywhere, you will be to do that granted it's not pass-protected. Or you could tether it to your phone, but i wouldn't recommend that for torrents.

Last edited by a moderator:
A transmission binary for ARM is already in the Angstrom repo. I've got my eyes on that one....

The ability to download from usenet would be nice as well. Having it as a usenet downloader overnight would be great as it would be low power and as long as the wireless speeds are good i'd hit my top speed easily.

I believe there are quite a few open source NZB downloaders so when I do get my Pandora I'll see what I can do in terms of porting one across.

sabnzbd is pure python I believe, so it should just work out of the box. It's pretty decent but not incredibly lightweight. I hope you do port one but if not I will probably just use sab. Also I agree, hook this thing up to an external hard drive and I can power off my main machine. Didn't think about this before, great idea.

In congested areas like large cities one might be able to pick up an open wireless network while out and about and never lose a connection as long as you configure it to connect to any open wireless network. I've used a wifi Skype phone in Seattle and went all over downtown and never was disconnected, but that might have just been the huge amount of Starbucks in that area.

Justman said:
I've used a wifi Skype phone in Seattle and went all over downtown and never was disconnected, but that might have just been the huge amount of Starbucks in that area.
I propose that we all from now on measure our WiFi signal strength in starbucks/m².

It's a valid SI unit after all, and therefore superior to the imperial "bars" unit...

GPJosh said:
Off the top of my head, I believe Transmission would make a good port. That said, I don't think anyone is working on it (yet).
Definitely, Transmission is suitably lightweight, and the interface is simple enough to work well on smaller screen.

the only real problem here is that constantly writing to sd cards shortens its lifespan in theory, but as far as using a torrent or usenet client, thats no problem at all

Aninhumer said:
GPJosh said:
Off the top of my head, I believe Transmission would make a good port. That said, I don't think anyone is working on it (yet).
Definitely, Transmission is suitably lightweight, and the interface is simple enough to work well on smaller screen.
transmission-cli in case you want to drop the GUI and look more like a hacker.
"Yeah I'm pirating sum warez lol"
Then you can even run screen, so you can start a torrent, detach from transmission, close the console, and do something else.

DaMummy said:
the only real problem here is that constantly writing to sd cards shortens its lifespan in theory, but as far as using a torrent or usenet client, thats no problem at all
Well downloading a video with bittorrent on the Pandora would use no more writes than copying the same video over from your computer, not really a problem. :)

Aninhumer said:
DaMummy said:
Well downloading a video with bittorrent on the Pandora would use no more writes than copying the same video over from your computer, not really a problem. :)
You forget the checksum, that's 16 bytes! Oh, the youth nowadays: assumes that everyone has infinite amounts of space on their SD cards, grmbl grmbl...

dflemstr said:
You forget the checksum, that's 16 bytes! Oh, the youth nowadays: assumes that everyone has infinite amounts of space on their SD cards, grmbl grmbl...
Oh I suppose the torrent file is needed...

...which is quite a bit larger than 16bytes?
(Not massive, but still several kB)

Even just the SHA1 hash is 20 bytes. :p

Back