Music-making Software (daws, Sequencers, Recorders Etc) For Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidspayed

Still Fresh
Hello, all.

I've just decided to make the decision to pick up the Pandora over the GP2X wiz. I'm pretty excited about it. One of my major questions regarding the platform however is what sort of music software is available/in development? The reason why I'm picking this little sucker up is for it's portable music-making potential, so if you guys have any information to whet my appetite I'd be really grateful. Someone mentioned running Renoise (probably version 1... 2 would probably be too resource-heavy), which would be amazing. There is also the potential to emulate LSDJ, Nanoloop, GoatTracker etc. with Pandora's capabilities, but I am wondering if there is anything less minimal, more substantial in the pipeline or already available.

Thanks in advance!

- Connor

Last edited by a moderator:
i cant answer your question but that is also one of my hopes for the device. as far as i know there arent any concrete promises that anything will be ported to it yet, but im without doubt that we will see some apps ported in the long term at least. im a massive fan of korg ds10 on the nds, and given the immense difference in power between the deivces ive got pretty high hopes for pandora.

personally im not so interested in the tracker type apps (though id be perfectly content using them if thats all we got) but id really really love to see something along the lines of fl studio... i dont know if any fl studio clones are available for linux though... do you?

All open-source, linux-compatible software should work on the platform.
Ask the renoise team if they could recompile the program for you (not probable, but who knows)
Then we have Hydrogen, Rosegarden, Audacity, LMMS etc etc all ready for you.

EDIT: LMMS is very similar to FL Studio (but FL has much better interface and more hi-quality synthesizers if you ask me)

I've got to say that that LMMS looks pretty damn sexual...

W00.

I've got a few Linux music software sites bookmarked, ready to try compiling when the Pandora is in my eager hands.

Check out Aldrin. It's a really cool buzz clone. Works great! And the CPU-usage is surprisingly low. Hopefully it won't be to hard to get it running.
CODE
http://code.google.com/p/aldrin-sequencer/

And I'll definitely spend a lot of hours with Milkytracker on my Pandora, which is a great xm-tracker. This is most likely just a compile away. It already works on a lot of platforms, including GP2X.
CODE
http://www.milkytracker.net/

These are the musical apps that I'm looking forward to use the most. And perhaps seq24 for MIDI.

DavidsPayed and all interested in Linux audio:

I have very recently tried building the latest development versions of LMMS 0.9 and Ardour 3.0 (with its long-awaited MIDI support) and unfortunately it all isn't quite ready yet- well, Ardours MIDI support is still chock full of bugs and holes, LMMS doesn't have proper audio track (ie multitracking) support, lacks undo/redo, and although you can assign LMMS synth controls to your MIDI controllers LMMS will not currently record your automation nor let you copy or draw automation curves with a large degree of control yet- you can draw straight lines or freehand to control automation and thats about it.

I don't want to demean or disrespect the LMMS devs in any way as LMMS is showing great promise and could well end up being the killer linux audio app -its certainly the closest foss alternative to flstudio there is right now. I would highlight that LMMS is also available for Windows so its very easy to try it out, Linux users should grab the latest code from the git repo and compile it themselves to see where its really up to.

rosegarden4 is a pretty good midi editor and will prob be the best solution for a MIDI sequencer until qtractor gets automation support or Ardour 3.0 stabilises. I can't see the Pandora being able to cope all that well with LMMS's synths, not unless somebody optimises them for ARM. Other good choices for music making on the Pandora include http://code.google.com/p/protrekkr/ , Milkytracker, chibitracker, seq24, specimen, qsynth, spiralsynthmodular, Audacity..

I hear they're totally porting Reason 4 and Max/MSP!
also: FREE ENERGY! NIKOLA TESLA! THE HUMAN RACE HAS BEEN DENIED ADVANCED NON POLLUTING FREE ENERGY! NWO! OBAMA = 666! ALEX JONES! RON PAUL! ZEITGEIST-MOVIE.COM!
edit: FL studio? my grandma uses that daw.

BS ;>

Also, somewhat ironically, I record music under the name Grandma... and yes, I use FL Studio.

'davidspayed' said:
I hear they''''re totally porting Reason 4 and Max/MSP!

BS ;>

Also, somewhat ironically, I record music under the name Grandma... and yes, I use FL Studio.
I hear they''''re totally porting Reason 4 and Max/MSP!

Na, just joshin ya (about fl studio, i mean). Honestly, theres no reason to use reason or cubase or something like that if you dont need what it does, and some prefer the synthesis of fl studio to others, and of course fl studio actually has vst support, so i dont blame anyone who does use it. i am looking forward to audio software for sure, i do occasional live sets and although its mostly hardware based it would be nice to have a fully digital sequencer

for me the pandora is gonna be handy for music even on a basic level. its been a few years since i was in a band, but even just a small portable device to play high quality wavs from is going to be a billion times better than using a big minidisc player like we were then. the rest of the band didnt trust the reliability of laptops but i am pretty certain the pandora will be fine. in an ideal world i would like to get some kind of USB interface going on to output more than a stereo L&R so i can run some programming in a way that an engineer can actually find useable i.e. track 1 - kick, track 2 snares/claps, tracks 3&4 stereo toms/cymbals/percussion, tracks 5&6 stereo music/sound effect/non live instrumental parts.

if i could pull something like that together... man i would be in heaven. sadly thoiugh i get the feeling that processing 6 tracks of audio simultaneously via usb could be a challenge,

I would love to see a few basics put together, like a simple 4-track audio recorder with low-latency monitoring, an accurate USB-MIDI input recorder, a pocket sequencer like Pocket Griff for Palm OS or Nanoloop, etc.

Are there any really, really small MIDI-USB adapters that would work for the pandora?

The biggest problem that I can see with the idea of using a currently built tool is the Pandora's screen size.

LMMS or Ardour or other similar tools just SCREAM for the highest resolution possible.

The real breakthrough would be a GUI that is optimized for the Pandora!

What I would like to see is an Atari-Emu with full Midi and harddisk support running midi apps reliably.
It would be good enough to have a gm-soundbank player running in parallel connected by virtual midi driver.
... and with a real midi interface, we could drive some midi gear - pocket atari midi workhorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back