Multiplayer Functions?

fluentdesigns

Still Fresh
This might have been covered or not but what kind of multiplayer functionality can we expect? Multiplayer RTS? FPS? Maybe some kind of "Pandora Live" system to find people to play games with?

Just wondering as thats a pretty big concern for me.

No Official system has been announced. Most likely that community will develop one, but who knows.

Im basically just wondering if it was something that has been thought of and if its possible and if so what types of games would we be able to play on it?

It can be done, but I think it is up to the Game Developers themselves and then they could make a deal with someone else to have a multi-game information database for people to put stuff in sig's and so on.

fluentdesigns said:
This might have been covered or not but what kind of multiplayer functionality can we expect? Multiplayer RTS? FPS? Maybe some kind of "Pandora Live" system to find people to play games with?
Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the community could keep some servers running through donations.

I think the prospect of the LIVE concept would work and is worthwhile as long as people are willing to contribute to the project. It will also depend on the number of units that are shipped. I mean, during the infant stages of the NDS, you would be hard pressed to find am online match for Mario cart DS. But then after a few months there would be more and more people available at all hours of the day and the popularity grew.

Titcher said:

Or, if you have a fast enough bandwidth, you could offer to host it yourself. I personally have 20/20 Mbit symmetric fiber connection with static IP, which would be more than enough for basic messaging by an entire community.

On that topic, parag0n, if you'd like I'll see about setting up a Linux box for you on my network.

AireTamStorm said:
Or, if you have a fast enough bandwidth, you could offer to host it yourself. I personally have 20/20 Mbit symmetric fiber connection with static IP
:blink: :eek: :huh: :wacko:

I assume you don't live in the US (here, you wouldn't be able to get anything like that as a private individual, and it's too expensive even for smallish businesses at least where I live).

I know there are a few countries with cheaper broadband access than the US, but it still seems outstanding. Here I am stuck with a 5Mbps/768Kbps DSL line that gets 3/512 or so in general usage. :(
I don't think anyone's going to be hosting something this on any private citizen's connection. :p

Eternalodyssey said:
I think the prospect of the LIVE concept would work and is worthwhile as long as people are willing to contribute to the project. It will also depend on the number of units that are shipped. I mean, during the infant stages of the NDS, you would be hard pressed to find am online match for Mario cart DS. But then after a few months there would be more and more people available at all hours of the day and the popularity grew.
Well nobody says this has to be Pandora specific. Seeing as though the PSP/DS/(Insert system name here) all tend to use ports of the same emulators, I don't see any reason why people can't play against each other on multiple platforms :)

AireTamStorm said:
Titcher said:

Or, if you have a fast enough bandwidth, you could offer to host it yourself. I personally have 20/20 Mbit symmetric fiber connection with static IP, which would be more than enough for basic messaging by an entire community.

On that topic, parag0n, if you'd like I'll see about setting up a Linux box for you on my network.
I do have 20 megabit total, but only 750k is in upload, so it'd be pretty pointless. I wouldn't totally not consider hosting it for the community though, maybe host it on a paid for server, but have to wait for something to be developed before that can be decided, the pandora isn't even out yet.

Titcher said:
That shouldn't be necessary. What Paragon proposes is more of a who-is-online and matchmaking system. It is not "hosting" any games and should not require much in the way of bandwidth or CPU time. I'm sure server space will make itself available when the time comes :)

TaG said:
BackAssward said:
Isn't a match making system basically what we're talking about with TINXL?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...2124&st=120

Probably. Maybe that's why its been linked twice already in this enormous thread. :rolleyes:

True, but you shouldn't deter people from trying to help, even if it is redundant. More help than you need is way better than less help than you need. Though, this is the internet, so I know people will find fault in anything and call you out on it.

BackAssward said:
TaG said:
BackAssward said:
Isn't a match making system basically what we're talking about with TINXL?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...2124&st=120

Probably. Maybe that's why its been linked twice already in this enormous thread. :rolleyes:

True, but you shouldn't deter people from trying to help, even if it is redundant. More help than you need is way better than less help than you need. Though, this is the internet, so I know people will find fault in anything and call you out on it.
Who's trying to deter anyone? I was trying to persuade you to refer to the one other page on the thread. But anyway, lets not argue as it isn't worth it.

Back