The Pandora Experience

traylorpark

Very Active Member
Thinking back on any console, there are always a couple games that seem to define the experience of playing that system.
For example, I came to realize the Nintendo DS experience when 4 of my friends would happen upon the same location and play some multiplayer Mario Kart. It was really easy to jump into and get playing. The game was instantly fun and many people could enjoy it with you. I couldn't really go anywhere without making sure I had a copy of Mario Kart with me. Everybody wanted to play it!

For a bit of fun that probably won't lead to anything, I want to pose a brainstorming exercise.
Given the strengths and weaknesses of the Pandora, what kind of new game do you think would create an experience that is unique to the system? A game that many people might use to describe why the Pandora was so much fun. Maybe something that is multiplayer? Would it be arcade like or have layers and layers of depth? Could it be something else entirely?

Its impossible to tell what this game and experience might ultimately be, but the thought exercise is certainly fun :)

I hope to finally get a satisfying experience of being able to play a first person shooter on a hanheld without breaking my fingers or being fragged to oblivion. Quake3 with dual nub action will define my experience playing with this system. My multiplayer experience will be playing Q3 through internet with other Pandorians.

mali said:
I hope to finally get a satisfying experience of being able to play a first person shooter on a hanheld without breaking my fingers or being fragged to oblivion. Quake3 with dual nub action will define my experience playing with this system. My multiplayer experience will be playing Q3 through internet with other Pandorians.

Oh wait, yes, this too.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
Ditto.
The duel nubs are definitely one of the Pandora's strengths and any game that uses them (correctly) will make the Pandora stand apart from all the other handhelds IMO :)

Dunny said:
The Pandora Experience will be one of emulation. It will be a unique handheld retro experience. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

D.
That may be true for you Dunny, but certainly not for most of the people on this board.

What the hells your problem all of a sudden? You seem to be going out of your way to bring every one down <_<

Dunny said:
The Pandora Experience will be one of emulation. It will be a unique handheld retro experience. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else.

D.
i would differ from that.

pandora has WIFI allowing us for more fast wireless gaming experience.
also it has USB and will allow a universe of options, one i expect to use a lot is to setup a 2 Player mobile station with no loss of gaming controls
like psp ape school did.

one thing they should bet on would be a Instant Ad-hoc Wifi connection allowing multiplayer games instant action.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Dunny said:

D.
That may be true for you Dunny, but certainly not for most of the people on this board.

What the hells your problem all of a sudden? You seem to be going out of your way to bring every one down <_<

That's just who he is. Remember the picking on Gerald1? His reason was because it's fun.

That's just him. The bastard :p

Out side of gaming I'm actually kind of interested in using the Pandora in the work place. I'm on the go all the time at work, sometimes I need to reset a service on a linux server when I'm very far away from my office, my laptop too big to carry around with me.. ssh, vncviewer on the go would be great. Also many of my system I work with are Web Browser based too, so that makes it great as well.

Another application I'd like to see work on the Pandora is the Mumble client, with a bluetooth headset it make a great portable communication system.

mali said:
Vlynndar said:
That's just him. The bastard :p
Yep, Dunny is ok :)
Btw, how's the weather, Dunny?

Ignore me, folks, that's just who I am. And I'm in a bad mood today. A bastard is me. I'm trying to rip gfx out of an amiga game for a remake, and it's not going well. So I post inflammatory remarks (though nonetheless, these are my opinions) and see who bites :)

You're all golden, and I love you all for it.

Mali: The weather - it's actually lovely and sunny out there. My view of the Lincolnshire Wolds from my kitchen window is golden as the sun sets, and there is a slight layer of snow on the ground. It's fucking cold out there though, and I don't like that one bit.

D.

This will actually be my first handheld so it's going to be the whole experience, not just one single thing. It's not meant to be. I really hope that my friends buy Pandoras too but most of them don't have the money. Maybe someone at work will buy one, we got WiFi there so it would be sweet with some multiplayer action.

Certainly, everybody's experiences will vary a lot. That is the beauty of this machine - how versatile it is.
Personally, I've been thinking a lot about how the experience might be defined by some type of game.

Something multiplayer would be great. I also imagine something arcadey, a game that can be quickly picked up and enjoyed.
For a while, I was thinking that it would be reallly cool to have some sort of sports game, like multiplayer Volleyball or Tennis. Has anybody ever played Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast? That kind of game, on the Pandora over Wifi and AdHoc would be pretty awesome - especially if you could customize your player character.

For an experience: This does not seem likely - But a great pipe dream.

N64 emulation ---> ONLINE PLAY ---> Goldeneye!

Enough Said?

I just went to a hockey game, so I am pumped for some retro sprite-based hockey games. Like Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel. Now if there was a game that let me fill my team with Marios and play a boxing minigame, I'd be in heaven.

Multiplayer over Wi-Fi does sound awesome, but enjoying with friends from the comfort of a sofa is even better!!

Me: Take a look at this!
Friend: Is that.... an Amiga?! Are you playing cannon fodder?! This is AWESOME! Remember the second one? We stayed up playing it until 4am, and your mum ordered us those giant pizzas?
Me: Yeah, those were the days! I've still got the disks at home!
Friend: Can we play that on here?
Me: Does your house have wi-fi?
Friend: 'course we do!

(3 minutes and a few firefox windows later)

One Pandora experience!

The other highlight for me will be playing some of the homebrew games coming up... there's some serious talent working on some great games, and i really cant wait to start testing the waters!

And finally, maybe in my wildest dreams..... a handheld Sega Saturn? :p

For me it'll definitely be creating stuff since we'll have our own version of GIMP (that ALONE makes it worth buying!)
Imagine bringing home an PS3 and a month later churning out your own (insert name of fave game here) and sharing it with people! That's epicness.
Oh, and did I mention? Portable Jet Force Gemini, Iron Aces, Secret of Evermore and FFVIII!

Speaking of PS3, what's the likelyhood we'll be able to use the remote-viewer client? I haven't got a clue how it works, but I remember seeing a guy who built his own, so it can't be that hard.

Back