Network Game Server/Lobby Preference

Anyway when I played Diablo, AVP (2000) or Alien Swarm, I appreciated the fact that the servers where also local, with just an online index, that's convenient to find/connect players, but not required to play on a lan (that still will needs IP and all)

That is what I was thinking of, but wouldn't the index still require a third party server?

Anyway when I played Diablo, AVP (2000) or Alien Swarm, I appreciated the fact that the servers where also local, with just an online index, that's convenient to find/connect players, but not required to play on a lan (that still will needs IP and all)

That is what I was thinking of, but wouldn't the index still require a third party server?
Well, I've got one. I've been designing my API, and if you'll just be able to either manually, or if you have the source, include the hub api library and call a function, to register and unregister the game server.
If you build in the hub api library, you'll be able to lookup games from the code too.

I'm also going to try and set up functionality for providing a generic turn-based (one player at a time, or simulataneous) game system, so if you're writing a new turn-based game, and want to have netplay, it should be easy to plug in without having to write all sorts of stuff on your own.

I was hoping to use Ziz's Sparrow3D for a few bits, but I've had a tonne of issues trying to build it with Visual Studio (compiles fine on Linux though). But then I was thinking Qt might be better, as it'll let me have several windows (like for chats etc.) and use system tray notifications and bits and pieces like that. Maybe a Sparrow UI could be written seperately for some of the other devices that don't have desktops; but I'll probably start with Qt

Back