Mugen Fighter

Xenjoi

Still Fresh
I saw a post on youtube about a mugen port for the Wiz. I dont think the person who posted it ment that he was working on it. more like it would be a cool thing to have, but what are the chances? i mean, the new hi-res mugen shows that the platform is expandable and it runs worlds better then it did even 2 years ago. whats the probability of a scaled down version?

First of all, MUGEN has nothing to do with emulation, so wrong board.

Next, when asking about porting something to any platform, the first question you should ask yourself - is there source code available? If there is, then the app can probably (though not always) be ported to some degree. If there is no source code available, then it cannot be ported.

To my knowledge, the original MUGEN was a closed source project. So it cannot be ported, except by the original devs, assuming they want to (they usually don't) and still have the source code (amazing how sources get lost sometimes). Although there were open source MUGEN inspired projects, i.e. OpenMUGEN I think it was called.

. Although there were open source MUGEN inspired projects, i.e. OpenMUGEN I think it was called.
Yea, sorry about that, this maybe should be in homebrew huh? i kinda thought that but there was nothing going on in there and i feared it wouldn't get read....now that i think about it though, putting it there may have gotten the board some attention so my bad lol.

Forgive my ignorance please but i do want to inquire at least..... if MUGEN is closed source, is the source code not necessary to create all of the different mods and stand alone games that fans have made? in other words, are they just using the preexisting architecture and just adding the files and changing the definitions and logs?

Secondly, if there is an open source version or 'clone' like entity, doesn't that leave the door open?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's more homebrew for sure.

As for MUGEN mods, you don't need source code to make a mod for any game, just the external data files and an understanding of their format. But porting requires that you adapt and recompile for the new hardware platform, so that's why you need source code for that.

And sure, any open source derivative is an open door.

I love MUGEN, Ill try to Find a source code and post it.
I would gladly help with this.

Back