Ms Dos On Pandora?

I imagine FreeDOS could be ported, but you'd still need some kind of x86 emulator to play old games. A DOSBox under Linux might be a better solution.

DOSbox is high on a lot of people's lists as a desirable port. You can certainly expect an x86/DOS emulator of some sort, but don't expect it to be fast. I'm guessing low-end 386 performance at best.

Orkie said:
That's because it should be .org :).
Gotcha; If you want, I'll start adding some stuff- maybe a "start here" FAQ with some answers to common questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kagato said:
Chip said:
You can certainly expect an x86/DOS emulator of some sort, but don't expect it to be fast. I'm guessing low-end 386 performance at best.

Zone 66! The Lost Vikings! The original Prince of Persia! Syndicate!
Good times.

Don't get too excited just yet, I was just making an optimistic estimate. You might eventually be able to play some of those games, but nothing is a sure thing.

Chip said:
DOSbox is high on a lot of people's lists as a desirable port. You can certainly expect an x86/DOS emulator of some sort, but don't expect it to be fast. I'm guessing low-end 386 performance at best.
Heh... With the right dynrec core, I'd expect mid-end 386 performance, maybe a bit more. Now, having SAID that, DOSbox plods along at the 8086, low-286 level at best on the Nokia N800. No dynrec right now there. ;)

Zone 66 is just about playable on my '2x without sound; I imagine it should work pretty well on the p&|a.

CongoZombie said:
Orkie said:
That's because it should be .org :).
Gotcha; If you want, I'll start adding some stuff- maybe a "start here" FAQ with some answers to common questions?

This wiki is a little better than the old one at BluWiki. If you want, you can start moving stuff over from there:
http://pandora.bluwiki.com/

atomicthumbs said:
http://pandorawiki.org

Also, ZodTTD said he'd be working a dynarec'd DOSbox for the Pandora a while back.

Edit: .com changed to .org. :p

still points to .com if you check the link :D :lol: you only edited what the link shows ^^

Chip said:
Kagato said:
Good times.
Don't get too excited just yet, I was just making an optimistic estimate. You might eventually be able to play some of those games, but nothing is a sure thing.

I think it should be pretty realistic. They're all around the 386 age, and after reading through this thread I've discovered there's a port of Dosbox for the PSP, which appears to play Prince of Persia (for example) at full speed. So I'd think the Pandora could probably match that, at least.

Syndicate may have used a weird video mode, so that might be an exception... but I never got the hang of it anyway :)

Kagato said:
Chip said:
Kagato said:
Good times.

I think it should be pretty realistic. They're all around the 386 age, and after reading through this thread I've discovered there's a port of Dosbox for the PSP, which appears to play Prince of Persia (for example) at full speed. So I'd think the Pandora could probably match that, at least.

Syndicate may have used a weird video mode, so that might be an exception... but I never got the hang of it anyway :)

I absolutely loved Syndicate, but it's definitely the most demanding of the bunch. The video quality was awesome for the time, but I think it was mostly due to high quality sprite art. There is a good chance that all those games will run to some extant with a good DOSbox port, I just don't want people thinking it's a sure thing.

PoP looks to be the least demanding, as well as being several years older then the others. If anything is going to run really well, that is the one.

Kagato said:

Just for a relevant benchmark. Most 386 games are too slow on 400mhz OMAP2420 with standard cflags-tweaked dosbox.

Prince of persia is reasonably fast - has low hardware requirements and doesn't do fullscreen scrolling, but the cycles have to be dropped down to like 500 to prevent sound stuttering.

syndicate, prince of persia, and lost vikings were all ported to the super nintendo... and we'll definitely be able to emulate that.

Back