Mpc : Mobile Personal Computer

monstercameron

Website
www.thinkteletronics.com
what is there was a handheld device in which most of the major components could be swithed/swapped out. These components would be hosted on expansion cards - like sodimm. The components could differ via their strengths eg. the zenidan zs 08 would be a great sound card offering 9.1 surround sound and hifi audio for $50, while the stock sound card would only deliver 2.1 stereo. here is an idea.
mpc.jpg

You wouldn't have several modules like that because most of those functions will come on a single chip. This level of integration is important not just from a cost perspective but also in keeping power down - having a bunch of high speed drivers to move off-module GPU and RAM consumes more power.

Features like 9.1 sound and networking only really make sense when planted at home, I think what you want is a configurable dock more than the handheld itself..

Exophase said:
You wouldn't have several modules like that because most of those functions will come on a single chip. This level of integration is important not just from a cost perspective but also in keeping power down - having a bunch of high speed drivers to move off-module GPU and RAM consumes more power.
most laptops, netbooks and small electronics have add in boards that add varios features. dell mini 10 with broadcom hd crystal vid accel., nintendo is with wireless module and pc with sound card. its the same idea and a I am not sure what a few more cm of interconnects would do to raise power comsumption that much.
Features like 9.1 sound and networking only really make sense when planted at home, I think what you want is a configurable dock more than the handheld itself..
these are just examples, here is another stock sound board produces passable sound quality but a replacement board x-brand produces hifi sound, thats louder and produces better bass

Last edited by a moderator:
monstercameron said:
Exophase said:
most laptops, netbooks and small electronics have add in boards that add varios features. dell mini 10 with broadcom hd crystal vid accel., nintendo is with wireless module and pc with sound card. its the same idea and a I am not sure what a few more cm of interconnects would do to raise power comsumption that much.

Really? What's the battery life like when those things are all plugged in?

these are just examples, here is another stock sound board produces passable sound quality but a replacement board x-brand produces hifi sound, thats louder and produces better bass

I'm not sure that fish really come into this, though if your claims are true you could probably sell this in Norway.

Your biggest problem is probably that you've neglected to include a screen or controls, unless the auxillary buttons could be used somehow? I must say, if you have to plug it into a monitor then I think all your power problems would be solved in one stroke.

D.

Your biggest problem is probably that you've neglected to include a screen or controls, unless the auxillary buttons could be used somehow? I must say, if you have to plug it into a monitor then I think all your power problems would be solved in one stroke.
front design
mpc2.jpg

monstercameron said:
most laptops, netbooks and small electronics have add in boards that add varios features. dell mini 10 with broadcom hd crystal vid accel., nintendo is with wireless module and pc with sound card.

I don't know what "small electronics" you're thinking of but laptops and even netbooks use several times more power than handhelds.

For handhelds you'd be hard pressed to connect a discrete GPU to a mainstream modern SoC in a way such that it's not defeated by the limitations of the connection. Of course you'd be harder pressed to find a suitable low power discrete GPU in the first place.. Different displays also tend to have different connection protocols and/or needs for different (electrical) drivers..

Back