Mp4?

xalres

Still Fresh
Website
www.xalres.com
Any idea how long it's going to be until GPH makes the 2X MP4 compatible? Not only because it was listed on their site as a feature, which gave me the impression that it would come with the ability to play them (instead of only one particular version of one particular codec for one particular file type), but also because I found this thing.

I'd be willing to invest in yet another type of memory card in order to avoid the long process of converting DVDs to AVIs but alas, it only encodes to MP4... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
...but also because I found this thing.

You bought that? A hefty price for something that a PC can do, probably better. If you're going to invest the money into that, I'd buy a good peice of software that can rip to multiple formats. But why even that? AutoGK can handle a format that the GP2X can already use, and it's not like it's hard to do...

My two cents.

I guess, whatever .MP4 files are encoded in. I only just got interested in video formats and DVD ripping since I got my GP2X and so far I've found it a bit of a chore. I haven't bought the piece of hardware as I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for the 2X. It would be nice to do DVD ripping in at least real time. I'll have to check out AutoGK and see if it's more user friendly than what I'm currently using.

It said so on gp2x.com. In fact, it still lists it on http://www.gp2x.com/product/product_main.asp. But then, it still lists WMA and WMV too. Maybe it was a list of what they hoped to have codecs for at launch but to prospective buyers it looks like it already has those features.
No it isn't. MPEG-4 is listed, which isn't the same as MP4. MPEG-4 is a video standard, and MP4 is a container format which holds an MPEG-4 file. AVI can also be used as a container for MPEG-4 video, and divx, xvid, wmv etc are all variants of the MPEG-4 standard. Just because something says it supports MPEG-4 video doesn't automatically mean it can support MP4 files.

Well, like I said, I'm new to this scene (I finally got my first DVD drive yesterday) so I don't know what codec acronym points to which file extensions just yet.

The upshot of that thing is it'll convert from RCA/S-Video input so it'll also do TV shows, VHS, home consoles, hell, even GP2X TV out I imagine.

yes but for the money (actually a lot less money) you could get a good capture card for your pc. a lot of them have hardware encoding so much like that device, you can encode in real time.

but is your computer really slower to rip & encode than real time? seems like that thing would just add to your troubles.

but is your computer really slower to rip & encode than real time? seems like that thing would just add to your troubles.

It's not that it's slow, it's that there are so many processes involved. I tried to use AutoGK but it didn't have the option of choosing just one camera angle so it would intersperse bits of both angles into the final movie, which looks awful. On top of that, there was no sound.

Right now, I use DVDShrink to back up a movie to its own .IFO file. That takes about 1/2 the length of the movie clip being backed up. Then I use DVDx to take that IFO and rip it to a Divx movie, that takes about 1-1/2 times the length of the movie clip. Since I can't figure out how to compress the movie in DVDx I need to use another app to compress the avi file, which takes about 1/3 to 1/2 the movie length.

So for instance, yesterday I took a 25 minute movie off a DVD and made a compressed avi file. Total time: 60 minutes. I would love to find a solution that does this in real time.

Back