Looking for a particular obscure piece of optical media!

Prometheus

Ok, this is a weird one, even by my standards, but we're all geeks here, and if there's anyone who can help me with this, it's surely you guys! :p

To cut a long story short, I'm looking for a VERY specific type of optical disk, as part of a somewhat obscure joke gift for someone I know who likes Mission: Impossible.

In trying to find something suitable, I studied the first of the Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible movies, and was able to identify what type of disk the main plot MacGuffin, "the NOC List" is, and figured that this would be perfect. The specific disk is an Olympus-brand 640MB Magneto Optical Disk, housed in a clear casing (white casings are more common for Magneto Optical Disks, from my research, but this particular size from this particular brand has a transparent case). It looks like the picture below;

MO_OLYMPUS_OL-D640.jpg

The trouble is, I had no idea that it would be so difficult to find! I have looked everywhere for one of these, and my only hit was an eBay auction where a chap was selling a Magneto Optical drive with two of these particular disks, but they wouldn't sell one of them to me separately. So, I ask you, does anyone here know where I might find one of these, please? All pointers appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try making one from a normal diskette in a transparent case+a mini cd inside.

Never seem that media though, I have a couple jazz drive disks somewhere around here ;)

I have a bunch of IBM and HP MO disks, but no Olympus ones nor are they transparent. On the downside, the IBM ones are WORM and I only have two left that I haven't written to. I'm amazed that MO disk drives are selling for so much on eBay.

Bit of a long shot, but that pic up on Wikipedia is credited to Ocrho, the guy who took it himself... so he must have at least had one to take the snap.

It links to his section of wiki here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ocrho

It's all German so I cant read it but you might be able to contact him and he might be nice enough to send you that one if he still has it

Like I said, a long shot, but best I got

I know it sounds like a stupid suggestion but why dont you make one from a clear minidisc? they look almost identicle. make your own logo's etc.

MD`s are also magneto-optical discs up to 1Gb. and they identical to the olympus disk so why not try one of this...

mfg

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm still looking right now. :)

As for why I haven't gone with MiniDiscs, I'm trying to get something as screen-accurate as possible, so the original Olympus disc as-is still looks to be my best bet right now.

Back