Standard Movie Player Sound Issues

woboton

Still Fresh
i've gotten into DVD ripping, and i'm mostly loving it. i'm ripping using handbrake on my mac, and encoding mp4/mp3 AVIs. visuals are AOK.

the sound is a problem, however. the GP2X seems awfully quiet, in general. in particular, movie playback seem very quiet. however, it's strange. if i max the volume, loud sounds like gunfire are too loud, yet dialogue in movies still seems too quiet. it's not a problem when i'm at home, but on the train when the track noise is loud, i have to hold my headphones to my ears to make out what's being said. maybe it's just a crummy amp? my headphones are sennheisser PX-100s and those are pretty good quality.

the other thing, and i'm not 100% certain of this 'cos the only time i noticed was in one sketch of robot chicken, is that it seems like the audio channels are reversed.

i may investigate mplayer and also other video formats this weekend, but if anyone has knowledge, please drop it!

You need to normalize the audio. Some encoder programs have this built in so you can normalize the audio at the same time you encode the video. PocketDivxEncoder (Windows only?) has this feature.

imhotep said:
You need to normalize the audio. Some encoder programs have this built in so you can normalize the audio at the same time you encode the video. PocketDivxEncoder (Windows only?) has this feature.

looks like i need another ripper, then! i'm getting into some bash tutorials, so i'll just find a decent CLI based one, as i'm finding batch processing on any of the GUI ones i've tried pretty weak, also.

*oops. forgot to say thanks buddy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back