Mozilla getting into gaming

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
Interesting news that should improve the chances of on-line games becoming playable on the Pandora :)

I'd love to see Quake Live become compatible with all the new on-line technology that are starting to appear. Yes I know that we have the original Quake, but Quake Live has better team balancing, stats etc. for on-line play IMO.

all depends what they're thinking of using as a backend for it all, could just end up with yet more flash games, or worse, a recreation of crysis in java XD

"Some of the technologies Mozilla Labs Gaming utilizes include webGL, touch controls, geolocation, Javascript, and open video and audio. Games built on HTML5 are available freely on sites like HTML5games.com, but with Mozilla's new initiative looks to advance games."

Sounds more like they're planning on using all the new open tech rather than Java or flash :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance of commercial games to appear such as super street fighter 4,openpandora should work with mozilla to bring this kind of technolgy to pandora.

Any chance of commercial games to appear such as super street fighter 4,openpandora should work with mozilla to bring this kind of technolgy to pandora.

The pandora has powerful hardware they should put it to use,using just emulators and old pc games isn't good enough but still it's powerhouse all systems from Atari 2600 to Nintendo 64 is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

The pandora has powerful hardware they should put it to use,using just emulators and old pc games isn't good enough but still it's powerhouse all systems from Atari 2600 to Nintendo 64 is awesome.
I have no doubt commercial games will eventually use WebGL, but it's hardly something that OP or Mozilla themselves are going to work on just for the Pandora.

Gotta love moving everything to standards based web technologies.. I mean, someone has to make a quad core 3ghz machine run games as fast as a 25 year old Amiga so we have reasons to upgrade to 8 core ;)

(in a way.. Not exagerated. I just ran a html5 game at 750mhz that actually is a port of an ST game runnin at 8mhz.. And it stuttered)

Jeffphone

minecraft is making 33 million dollars, care to complain about that code?

it's got nothing to do with it, but it is horrible code, and could have a hell of a lot of features improved other than the biggest problem of it being slow :p
I've been experimenting with this: it runs flawlessly on my laptop when I boot in Linux, but when I boot into Vista it has an obviously lower framerate. This is a 1.6Ghz dual core with 2GB of ram, so not the greatest but still holding up pretty well.

I suspect this is where all the "it's so slow and crappy that it barely runs on my computer" complaints come from that I have never understood: they're running it in Windows and for some reason the Windows version of Java runs Minecraft slower than the Linux version. Why that would be, I have no real idea. A coworker suggested that it could be the memory model: Linux defaults to running the server version while Windows only has the client version, both of which handle memory and garbage collection differently. Or it could simply be that Vista really is as big a resource hog as everyone says and I should look into getting a copy of Windows 7 to further this experiment.

One way or another, Notch's code may be bad, but I fully believe that there are places for huge improvement that exist outside of that code base.

</ot>

it's got nothing to do with it, but it is horrible code, and could have a hell of a lot of features improved other than the biggest problem of it being slow :p
I've been experimenting with this: it runs flawlessly on my laptop when I boot in Linux, but when I boot into Vista it has an obviously lower framerate. This is a 1.6Ghz dual core with 2GB of ram, so not the greatest but still holding up pretty well.

I suspect this is where all the "it's so slow and crappy that it barely runs on my computer" complaints come from that I have never understood: they're running it in Windows and for some reason the Windows version of Java runs Minecraft slower than the Linux version. Why that would be, I have no real idea. A coworker suggested that it could be the memory model: Linux defaults to running the server version while Windows only has the client version, both of which handle memory and garbage collection differently. Or it could simply be that Vista really is as big a resource hog as everyone says and I should look into getting a copy of Windows 7 to further this experiment.

One way or another, Notch's code may be bad, but I fully believe that there are places for huge improvement that exist outside of that code base.

</ot>

Your answer is floats, opengl uses a lot of them, and so does Java. Linux runs faster as it handles floats better (geekbench your PC on win/Linux to see) mainly it runs slow because its Java though, and does a lot of drive access for the levels

Back