Movies on GP32

aharding

Essex, England (Yes, England is a country)
Website
www.cnccheats.com
I was just wondering how you manage to fit whole movies like Matrix 2 (which in DIvX are an average of 700MB) on your tiny smart media cards.

I mean do you have to resize them first?
Do you have to make them crap quality?
...or do you have to split the movie on to about 5 SMC's?

:blink: :huh:

Well, first off, just by resizing it, the movie cuts its size in half.
then you cut audio quality,
then compression,
and you have a 100mb film.

Of course, spacing it out can do well too.

So it's all three. But the movies are very viewable, because I watch friends, and I can fit 3-4 episodes on my 128mb SMC*1.5 hours!* And they are fun too watch. Get a backlighted GP because its crap when you dont have enough light.

1mb = ~1 minute of movie

EDIT : And because of smaller screen, quality might actually be increased because you dont notice tiny things. Note : never use movielink. Use Virtual Dub, it's free. Movielinked movies are impossible to watch and embarrass the entire GP community.

Cheers for that, I ordered my GB32 a few hours ago about 30 minutes after finding out they existed. I am so looking forward to mine arriving and am very curious about how good its going to be. Oh one more queston - what software do you use to edit the movies?

**ADDED**

Oh yeah, I ordered 4 SMC's to get me going aswell :)

virtualdub.com.....Virtualdub program. Use this to compress the divx file. The quality is very good considering your taking a DVD quality picture and compressing it down from 1.2 gigs to 100 MB. Its a thing of beauty. I have the first Matrix on 1 SMC card. Its great!

good luck and have fun with yours...the versatility of the GP32 is a very welcomed feature. DIVX, MP3, Emulation, porting, opensource, home brew, commercial gaming. Its something different, thats why I bought it.

I also bought it so I can watch movies on long trips and plane flights. ;)

I NOW (just recently) bought 4 more 128MB SMC's....I have 8 total. These do not include 3 SMC commercial games. 3 of them have movies and episodes on them.

Quality is lovely for a small screen.. Best on anime and other animation (simpsons and south park work great)....

You dont notice the drop in quality after a few mins...

Also just FYI, decreasing the video Bitrate will decrease the size of the overall DIVX file making you able to put at least a 2 hour 25 min movie one SMC. BUT the visual quality would be compromised slighty depending how much you decreased it by.

Thats good, I'm going on holiday to Blackpool in a couple of months by car (I live in Essex which is like 4 hours away <_< ) but hopefully the console should provide me with entertainment :D

Ohh!!! Another question!

Does the console have any storage included for programs etc. - it must have surley?

Hi Guys. Please could you help a noob with a coupla qs?

1, Where the hell can I get Divx4.12 from to encode my movies? My PC has v5 and I cannot find the older one required. I tried the one on gp32emu.com FAQ and it didn't work. Even the 24Mb unified pack didn't have this version!!!

2, Are there any players other than Moviepark? I have bought it, but it is useless to me if I cant find the 4.12 codec.

3, Is there anything out that can cope with the later divx codecs?

Thanks a lot. GP32 rocks, btw even without movies ;-)

Ad.e

well, I hope it works out for you. It may take some effort to get it up and running. BUT its worth the time you put into it.

AND ...DAMN...a 4 hour drive....thats kind of crappy, without a GP32 accompanying you.

Goatboy, although yuor topic post should be in the help section ....this is what you may need to do to get yuor movies going.

Delete out 5.x DIVX codec first....then install the 4.12 .....then your 5.X reinstall. This might help.
If you can't find the older codec...do a google search for "DIVX codec". OR try divx-digest.com

There are other free players...but none of them are (as of yet) as good as MoviePark.

aharding.......Where did you buy yours?? GBAX? Lik-Sang??

thats ok..Play-asia is a good choice...I bought my FLU GP there also. My first GP I bought from Lik-sang. Everybody tells me that GBAX was a great choice for UK residences.....unfortunately...I live in the states.

aharding....I forgot to tell you...if you have a movie with ALOT of screen movement...like....Star Wars EP2. AND you are watching it full screen, the video and audio will temporarily desynch. This only happens when the movies you play have too much motion on screen at once. To fix the problem (IF it doesn't fix itself)..just decrease your screen size and let it catch up and them large it back to full screen to continue viewing.

Back