Psp V Gp32

-grins- Hey Hando...did you also see that other NES clone, the PolyStation?

It, like the Pegasus, are Famicom clones.

The PSP and GP32 can't be compared because, as said, both are for different purposes. The GP32 is for retrogaming and homebrew games, the PSP will be for all those shiny pretty commercial games. I have alot of retro consoles and computers here, but I also own a PlayStation 2, and despite being a 'new' console, it has its own charm as well.

Now, if someone would update Sopwith on the GP32 to support RF linkplay... ^.^;

The japanese version of the PSP is stil slated for december with the Northamerican version to follow in early 2005.

It'll be intersting to watch people try and develop a homebrew scene for the PSP but I seriously doubt it'll be as deep as the GP's. SOny will probably put every manner of restriction they possibly can on it, MP3s will probably have to be purchased through sony or have some sort of lock out like the have for their Minidisk players video will probably have the be downladed via their own networks not to mention purchsed.

If they actually develop the system to have add on moduals instead of haveing all these parts standard they MIGHT come iin at a low price point but the technology for the screen, the special disks it uses...etc that stuff is going to cost big.

With a disk it's going to be hard to develop a homebrew scene unless they are cheap, Sony actually lets to public buy them and someone makes software to burn to them.

Not likely. ;)

yeah it isnt very likely. They're using a spcial kind of disk, and somehow I doubt they'll be making a writeable version. But if it does have enough onboard memory to store an entire CD game all people would need to do is figure out a way for the system to read that memory.

I have to assume data will be transferred to the PSP by way of USB cable to the memory and then played from there. As long as you dont need a spcial boot disk or something to access this memmory,it's possible they might find a way to use it for home brew applications.

but yeah...not likely.

"We have been informed that the launch will not take place before the end of fiscal year 2004/2005, that is in March 2005," Richard Brunois, communications director for Sony Computer Entertainment France, told AFP.

Alpha2 posted on Mar 14 2004 at 06:50 PM said:
I have to assume data will be transferred to the PSP by way of USB cable to the memory and then played from there. As long as you dont need a spcial boot disk or something to access this memmory,it's possible they might find a way to use it for home brew applications.

but yeah...not likely.
Just thought I'd pop in;
the PSP will have a memory stick slot. This extends to about 256mb (with a REALLLLLY expensive stick...) <- but you have to switch between 128mb 'partitions'. It may be more if they include the compatability with thier new *magic gate* stick, which is planned to have up to a gig in capactiy.

^ Why do I know this? I have an extremely shitty PEG-S300 Clie' which i tried to play movies on (tealMovie). After i saw the $100 pricetags on the 128mb version I promptly went home....

Death to Sony :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered what peoples problem with blipped4 was, well I know now:

blipped4 posted on Mar 14 2004 at 03:04 PM said:
DONT BE STUPID,The gp32 is going to be shit compared to the pspl,Stop hanging on.The gp32 is getting shitter by the day. Zodiac is the way to go.Then psp.Then whatever next.
what a f**ckwad.

The only reason I bought my GP32 was the homebrew/emu scene, and it was well worth it. Unless the PSP develops a similar scene then I'm never going to buy one. Screw full speed PSX games (all respect to the GP32 emu coder though) nostalgia is indeed where its at.

c0ncept posted on Mar 14 2004 at 09:10 PM said:
I always wondered what peoples problem with blipped4 was, well I know now:

DONT BE STUPID,The gp32 is going to be shit compared to the pspl,Stop hanging on.The gp32 is getting shitter by the day. Zodiac is the way to go.Then psp.Then whatever next.
what a f**ckwad.

The only reason I bought my GP32 was the homebrew/emu scene, and it was well worth it. Unless the PSP develops a similar scene then I'm never going to buy one. Screw full speed PSX games (all respect to the GP32 emu coder though) nostalgia is indeed where its at.
Here here, c0ncept.

Trooper

You suck balls man. Saying shit like that will make people dislike you even more. Go plague the zodiac boards.

and don't forget that you'ld probally have to find a way to fit a mod-chip into the tiny PSP to even begin playing whatever homebrew scene it will have.

Can we vote blipped off the island. It can be a front page poll or something..I dont really want the kid gone its just that he is so negative about everything gp32. Maybe a while down the road we can think of doing something about it if he keeps trolling.

and don't forget that you'ld probally have to find a way to fit a mod-chip into the tiny PSP to even begin playing whatever homebrew scene it will have.
Yeah and doesn't the psp use some those new Universal Media Discs? that'll also restrict the homebrew/emulation scene. There is no contest between the machines, the psp will be an altogether more powerful beast, while the GP will always imho have more of a homebrew/emu scene. Comparing the two is like comparing a rock with a pizza (pointless)

Sorry, but PSP Will Kick the GP32's Ass in my opinion, Read the specs of it -

The PSP will run under two 32-bit MIPS R4000 microprocessors, described by SCE president Ken Kutaragi as each having 10 times the clock speed of the PlayStation’s CPU and the same amount of power as the PlayStation 2's CPU. One of the microprocessors will be used as the CPU, and the other will be utilized as an engine dedicated to handling media such as movies and music with its own 2MB of memory. The GPU (graphics processor unit) will work as both a 3D rendering engine and a surface drawing engine. Morphing, tessellation, and other rendering abilities are supported by hardware to reduce the loads on programs. The GPU will come with 2MB of VRAM and a bus with a 5.3gbps transfer rate. In theory, the PSP will be able to handle a maximum of 33 million polygons a second. In terms of sound, the PSP will feature 3D sound and 7.1 channels, adopting the use of a digital signal processor named the VME (Virtual Mobile Engine).

As revealed in prior announcements, the PSP will read proprietary 60mm wide optical disks named UMDs (universal media discs) that can hold up to 1.8GB. The PSP will support advanced-video-coding-format MPEG4s that have high compression rates, and one UMD can contain up to two hours of DVD-quality video

Can you Buy them Discs and burn on them in a DVD Burner????????

the PSP will come equipped with 802.11-standard LAN, IrDA, and USB 2.0. 802.11-standard LAN is a wireless LAN specification that can communicate in a 100-meter range with a transfer rate of up to 2mbps, and IrDA is a standard for infrared wireless communication.

PSP Specifications:

PSP CPU Core

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
8MB eDRAM main memory
2.6Gbps bus bandwidth
FPU, VFPU (2.6 billion flops)
3D graphics extended instructions
I Cache, D Cache

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32-bit core
128-bit bus
1-333MHz (1.2V)
2MB eDRAM submemory
I-Cache, D-Cache
90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core

1-166MHz (1.2V)
256-bit bus
2MB eDRAM (VRAM)
5.3Gbps bus bandwidth
664 million pixels per second pizel fill rate
3D curved surface and 3D polygon engine
Support for compressed textures, hardware clipping, morphing, bone, tessellation, bezier, b-spline (NURBS)
Maximum of 33 million polygons per second
24-bit full color (RGBA)

Sound Core

VME (Virtual Mobile Engine)
Reconfigurable DSP
166MHz (1.2 V)
128-bit bus
5 giga operations per second
CODEC capabilities
3D sound, 7.1 channels
Synthesizer, effecter, and other abilities
ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3 for audio

Media

UMD (Universal Media Disc)
60mm-diameter disc
660nm laser diode
1.8GB capacity (dual-layered disc)
11Mbps transfer rate
AES crypto system
Unique disc ID
Shock proof
Regional code system
Parental lock system
Repeat ordering system

Other Specifications

16:9-format widescreen TFT LCD (480x272 pixels, 24-bit full color)
MPEG4 AVC decoder
Wireless LAN (802.11)
IrDA (Infrared Data Association)
USB 2.0
Memory Stick
AV in/out
Stereo headphone out
Lithium ion battery
Expansion port

... But Im gonna Stick with my GP32 Because -

A - Its got a Good Friendly Community... ;)
B - Theres usually something new out each day or so... B)
C - I Love the use of the SMC Cards (Even though the Max is 128MB) :)
D - Theres definatly gonna be more Homebrew games for the GP32 in my opinion (PSP Seems to be more of a Commercial games handheld)
E - I Cant Afford a PSP (Even if I could I would have to leave it at home, I wouldnt carry a thing that valuable around hehe) :lol:

In MY opinion the GP32 will have more Emu's, Homebrew Games, Utilities Etc than a PSP.. PSP is more of a Commercial games machine in my opinion because of the fact it takes them Funny Discs which I think will bring it down on the home brew side of things...

I might get a PSP when they drop down to £80 - £100 but for now Im stick with my GP32 100% All the way :D

WHY must they persist with the FREAKING REGIONAL LOCK OUTS!!?

God I swear they want people to be pissed off that they cant have certain games! GBA dosent have region locks and it does JUST FINE!!! I can understand it for video I can even give a little on mp3s just because they;re suck a damn hassle thanks to the RIAA but FOR GODS SAKE.

sorry I'm just tired of being screwed over by regional lockouts.

Am I the only one that remembers what Sony said about PS2. I have enough faith that those will not the real specks that I will bet my GP32 on it. They said it was capable of pushing over 1 billion polygons per second when it really pushes like 600 million or so.

Ok, the PSP memory has been updated from 8MB to a rumoured 32MB (bit like we wanted to do) because of complaints from developers. This has put the release date to 2005, and a rumoured price hike to £250 (still not a bad deal)

The memory stick will be used for media storage and saves, there is talk that it will have to be 'registered' (ie legal) media, but they are just rumours.

At the moment it is a closed system with custom media, which only developers will have access to.

The memory stck gives a good route in for hackers though, do'nt you think? no need for a flash linker.

I will still use my GP though, it is true open source, most of the emu's will be full speed (or at least very useable), no hacks to an expensive piece of equipment needed, no waiting for the machine to be hacked, lots of coders with a maturing dev community and tools, and great forum's!. I guess i'll carry both!

and a rumoured price hike to £250 (still not a bad deal)
It's true psp seems to be amazing but it's very expensive!
I'm french and it equals to 375 euros! Twice the price of the GP32 FLU!
I think Sony, as usual, makes fun of us!

I wouldnt want to walk about with that in my pocket :D

Plus I have no real need or desire to get one either. A portable SNES in my pocket does just fine. (hang on a minute, thats my GP32... :p )

Back