Movies On Your Gp32

carapalida

Still Fresh
just wanted to check with some of you your opinions on how well movies play on your gp32? good image? sound?

what about compression/translation? does it take forever like the gameboy movie player?

how many movies can you compress on the largest gp32 card?

i read on previous posts that you have to have them in avi format? so what about the codecs? i am lost...i lot of times i try to play avi movies on my pc but i get error messages saying something about the right codec is not installed.

i guess...can someone explain to me how movies play on the gp32 please? and the goods and bads?

thank you,

cara.

hey i think the gp plays movies very well especially things like simpsons,, the gp can only play avis using codecs either divx4.12 or xvid, generally people encode about 1meg per minute,.., about 80kbits,, use virtual dub that is free,,

thank you for the info.
so i do a search for this dub free and this is the sfot used to convert the movies into avi, right?
how long does it take to convert?
you mentioned simpsons...so...but if i am trying to do a full movie...like spiderman...do you know if it would fit?

cara.

Search google for divx 4.12 codec and download&install it. Since you are new to encoding movies for your gp32 use this codec. To get good videos with XVid you have to do a 2-pass encoding which is much more complicater than normal divx encoding.

Then search for VirtualDub. This is the program you need to encode the movies to run them on your gp32.

Look at the FAQ on the main site of gp32x.de to see the recommended settings.
You can get a 90-120 min onto a 128mb smc card. The time it takes to convert depends on the movie and the power of your pc, of cause. A 90 min movie takes about 45 to 60 min with my Athlon XP 2000.

If you still have problems encoding your movies, use the search button to search for tutorials/guides or check the gpcinema forum for links. You will find many.

I think the quality is really good. The gp32 screen shows my videos really well ;-).
Sound is mostly good enough to watch the movies, but I would recommend using headphones, because the gp32-speakers are very quietly.
And personally I think it`s perfect for watching TV shows, like Simpsons, Futurama, Jack Ass, etc., on a long ride.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You use Divx 4.12 or Xvid (Koepi's build, I think) or the Realmagic Codec (latest version) for the video, and MP3 for the audio. Octavious has a tutorial in the GpCinema section on using Realmagic codec to come up with really cool results.

You play them on your GP32 with GpCinema (get it free at gp32x.de).
You should use a 128mb SMC (storage card) for movies, then you can fit a lot
on there.

You should be able to get spiderman to fit pretty well
You'll just have to play around with the settings a bit..

I've gotton the ~1 hr 40 minuteish movie out cold(funny as hell snowboarding comedy)
to fit in about 90 mbs (so I could save some room for mp3's/OGG's) and it still had good enough quality.

also.. remember..
if your movie's colors look a little funky try playing around with the brightness settings in GPCinema

I was able to put gone in 60 seconds on a card in about 119 megs and that is about a 2 hour movie

B) wildo2ne

Whilst I got Harry Potter 2 onto a card with 10 megs to spare at perfectly acceptable quality, though granted it was the widescreen version so less of the scren used for it... but that movie is 161 minutes long!

It all depends on how much quality/resolution you're willing to sacrifice.

Oh, btw, if you want to get even more on a card, encode some movies at half resolution - so instead of 320x240 or 320x196, use 160x120 or 160x98. Yes, its harder to see what's going on. Yes if subtitles are involved you won't be able to read them. But if you're willing to do that, then you should be able to get 2 movies on easily, as long as you don't have astoundingly good quality sound...

I can get about 90 minutes of acceptable quality on a 128mb SMC but the sound is a not all that good and the frame rate could be better. Not ideal with high action movies but works okay :)

thank you all.
let me ask you guys a question...a comparison...
i have a gameboy movie player...the image is ok when playing movies...
so...the gp32 resolution is supposed to be better then the gba of course...so...i am assuming that the pic quality will be better then the movie player on the gba? am i correct? does anybody here have a movie player that they can compare and tell me the difference please?
thank you, cara.

GP is far better in quality, one really notices with subtitles, which are barely legible with GBAMP... But the SMC is a limiting factor... You can fit helluva lot of stuff to 1Gig CF... But my GBA suffers from somewhat crappy Afterburner installation... (By your's truly :) )

I've noticed that animations seem to look better than live action.

And that seeing my mug reflected from GP screen is annoying. Anybody know any good anti-glare stuff?

Spiderman 2:
Resolution: 320x176
Codecs: XviD Koepi´s/MP3(22.000 Hz, Stereo)
Fps: 17
Size: 92MB
Needed CPU speed: 133MHz
looks like a VCD....

Btw, at what framerate do u encode your movies? By my opinion 17fps on the gp32_console looks like 25fps on TV/PC, but some people here seem not to share my opinion...

15fps here, but the 2fps difference probably makes about 2-5mb difference in the size overall; because of the way DivX/XviD works, adding more frames doesn't actually change the size all that much. It may mean that the frames that are there are slightly lower quality (due to bitrate remaining the same) though.

thank you all.
let me ask you guys a question...a comparison...
i have a gameboy movie player...the image is ok when playing movies...
so...the gp32 resolution is supposed to be better then the gba of course...so...i am assuming that the pic quality will be better then the movie player on the gba? am i correct? does anybody here have a movie player that they can compare and tell me the difference please?
thank you, cara.
I have a GBA with a 512mbit flash card and movies play good on that but the extra space on the gp32 (twice that of a 512mbit flash card) and the better quality screen make the gp32 far superior for movies.

I'm guessing you are using the flash card device. I haven't tried that but my reencode worked well with my flash card - screen just wasn't up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 30 frames...
ya, thats a big space killer, but I got an 98 minute movie on the GP32 at 30 frames . could proboly get real small
hmmm
I think I am going to have make one more entry in my review of the RealMagicMP4 codec.....
wonder what resulst I can get at 15 and 17 and 19 frames...
I dont like movies at that speed, but others can watch them
Im a video freak
I pimped out the Quake settings to look great , and only get 3-5 frames, but it looks great
I love nice looking things....
movies, quake, pictures over 2 megs a piece.....
Im a video perfectionist

~Octavious

Back