Moulds

I am not sure if anyone has asked this, what is the status of the motherboards are they done.

Scott Rusoff said:
I am not sure if anyone has asked this, what is the status of the motherboards are they done.

So far, there is the following to do, as I understand it:

make the plastic parts of the controls.
Populate the boards (add all the components).
make the cases.
put the boards in a case, with the screen.
test each one.

Then it can ship. Hopefully in the next 20 days or so. Each step will require shipping of each particular component of that part to the parties that need them.

Just two more months, folks. All joking aside, I personally think (having worked in injection moulding - yes, actually making plastic parts) that we're on track for a late-january release. Shrinkage of the plastic is a known property of the plastic and should have been taken into account in the design phase of the mould. We used to prime the machine, make a part, extract the part and then leave it to cool. Then inspect the part for whitening and other defects before trimming the flash off. The parts would shrink by a reasonably predictable amount, but it would take months to get the plastic mixture right before we'd let the company have the parts.

It really would seem that this firm has put very little thought into our product.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
Just two more months, folks. All joking aside, I personally think (having worked in injection moulding - yes, actually making plastic parts) that we're on track for a late-january release. Shrinkage of the plastic is a known property of the plastic and should have been taken into account in the design phase of the mould. We used to prime the machine, make a part, extract the part and then leave it to cool. Then inspect the part for whitening and other defects before trimming the flash off. The parts would shrink by a reasonably predictable amount, but it would take months to get the plastic mixture right before we'd let the company have the parts.

It really would seem that this firm has put very little thought into our product.

D.

I wonder how much of this the OP team was aware of before we got word. That is, has the plastics company been working on this problem all along? or are they stringing the OP team along, letting them think that they are closer than they are to completion? My guess, based on the given evidence (and assuming that you are correct), is that it is the latter, the platics company is stringing OP along and not being honest about time-frames and progress.

Hopefully the plastic company will just get lucky and fix it soon, not that we can really count on that.

Any of the official team members care to say otherwise? Please?

barnesy said:
Hi. This thread is the one you need: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50602-how-do-you-find-out-place-in-queue-shipping/

Thanks a lot!

Back