Most Important Feature Of Pandora

jaycee900

Gamer Since 1980
Website
everylemming.blogspot.com
To me you can forget your Quake 3...forget emulation of PSX, DC, N64...forget great linux stuff and the like...what I won't to know is will the Pandora have a little 'ditty' when you turn it on?!
PSP has the 'fling' type noise.
DS has the 'deh duh' noise

Pandora...what about 'heh heh shamone' ?

Seriously...will it or won't it?

I'm down to 2 hours a night sleep over this!

I hope you can mute the startup sound. I do it on every computer I have, but handhelds never give the option. Pandora being open hopefully you can.

second exodous said:
I hope you can mute the startup sound. I do it on every computer I have, but handhelds never give the option. Pandora being open hopefully you can.
Like jakshep2 said it will most likely be customisable, or since the Pandora has proper volume altering controls (I can never remember whether it's a slider or a wheel) you can start up the Pandora with the volume minimised and then easily increase it later.

EDIT: I've just looked at the big render on the openpandora site and it's a wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think there are bigger things to worry about than a ding sound on power up.

Yes, it's possible, but it's not in the priority list.

CronoTriggerfan said:
We should have a contest to "compose" the default startup sound! :D
nice idea, i would be in for it.
i wouldnt actually USE the startup sound, but a contest would be fun

AireTamStorm said:
Whoever came up with the volume knob idea, I thank you.
You're welcome.

It was not just me though, this was a much requested feature. Homebrew devs especially forget to make the volume control functional if it is software based, as it was on the GP2X.

Or a program can freeze or not respond to a request to lower the volume, best to make it a physical arrangement that software has no control over.

Does anyone else remember pressing your thumbs over both speakers on boot up, or using a dummy headphone plug to mute the sound on the GP2X?

@Esn, priceless, good prank.

I just had to switch my default "windows sound profile" to silent yesterday because all the "dink" and "bonk" noises were very loud when I had my volume loud enough to hear dialog on my HD tuner card. I probably would have left them on if there was a volume slider for them. Another lack of polish in Windows, if anyone is counting (terrible fonts is another, and help files that don't help is another, how about a man page, or an option to remove the "help" and all its links/files and shortcuts?)

i think its a relatively big deal, as the GBA used to have good startup noises, but in current generations they all kinda suck.
i would either set it to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiapRKY9rpY
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGWGdK8H8Bk

Hmmmm....

Perhaps we should take a vote on startup themes that'll be default on all Pandoras & have a pre-poll submission? :D

Esn said:
Laughed so hard my life flashed before my eyes :lol: :blink:

that video was epic.

back in college i had a laptop that would POST with the loudest beep i've ever heard from a computer, portable or otherwise. <_< it brought me quite a few stares at first, especially in the library. thankfully like most older laptops the power switch was on the side, so after a while i just learned to reach into the bag and wait 10 seconds before taking it out. even then you could hear it in a quiet room, but at least people didn't jump out of their seats from the noise.

if it comes down to a vote on default startup sounds, i'd say anything that is 1 second long or less is fine by me. the "ba-ding" of the original gameboy comes to mind as a good example.

I'd either use a short clip of the Indiana Jones' theme song, or some sound effects from back to the future. If I wanted something really short, I might use the "SEGA" sound from most Genesis games.

1 Second Edit: Oooh, how about a "PANDORA" in the "SEGA" style? That sounds kinda nice.

how about captain planet theme song...

Pandora... the power is yours! :)

Back