Release Mosh - the mobile shell

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
I've just uploaded mosh to the repo. It is a bit inelegant that I had to include an upgraded version of perl (and probably more perl modules than needed), otherwise the PND could have been much smaller.

Please try it out - I haven't been able to really test it myself yet, since I'm currently at a conference and I cannot test it here since my internet connection seems to be behind an annoying firewall, and also because I don't have any servers to connect to where mosh is installed or where I can easily install it myself. Please let me know if it works.

Anyway, it seems to be a promising little application, especially for an ultra-portable long battery life device like the Pandora - now you can basically keep your ssh sessions open forever, even if you suspend the Pandora or toggle wifi a lot etc. It should also help a lot to improve responsiveness.

I wouldn't have heard of it either if it wasn't for this post:

So thanks to b3w for mentioning it.

non standard port is not working with mosh pnd

$ mosh --ssh="ssh -p 1234" name@1.2.3.4

/mnt/utmp/mosh/mosh.pl: connect to host 1.2.3.4 port 22: Connection refused

As a workaround, you can probably use a ~/.ssh/config file to specify the nonstandard port you're using, instead of using the command line argument. I have no idea why it is ignoring that argument - I'll look into it.

Back