More Newbie Questions

Afrothunder

Still Fresh
Got a couple more questions for you Game Park intellectuals which I ask at the risk of making myself sound completely naive :blink:
(1)can some one explain to me in lame-man's what exactly is...
A. firmware
B. flashing
(2)is any information actually stored in the GP32 or is it all within a SMC
(3)although I am set on getting a system should i buy the BLU or settle for a FLU
(4)aside from games I intend to play movies, what is currently the best FREE player or is it better to buy GPCinema
(5)any other insight into gamegear,SNES,and NeoGeo emulators appreciated :D

Read a FAQ, please! Did you not notice the sticky? GP Cinema is free. I recommend waiting until we get some accurate figures on the battery life of the BLU before deciding on which one to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Azure's Faquiness....

But hell... here goes...

1) a. firmware is the section of the GP32's ROM that can be 'flashed' or changed by overwriting it with another piece of code. This enables you to change the look and funtionality of your GP32's startup and GUI.

b. Flashing is the act of changing the contents of the firmware with a flashing program.

2) SMC only

3) Whatever you can afford or get - BLU is better

4) See Azure's answer

5) Use the search feature in the 'my assistant' section (see the top of the page)

Like what? If you find that the FAQ lacks something post it in the FAQ thread so that it can get updated.

Got a couple more questions for you Game Park intellectuals which I ask at the risk of making myself sound completely naive :blink:
(1)can some one explain to me in lame-man's what exactly is...
A. firmware
B. flashing
(2)is any information actually stored in the GP32 or is it all within a SMC
(3)although I am set on getting a system should i buy the BLU or settle for a FLU
(4)aside from games I intend to play movies, what is currently the best FREE player or is it better to buy GPCinema
(5)any other insight into gamegear,SNES,and NeoGeo emulators appreciated :D
The question about BLU/FLU is not on the FAQ so here goes.

The FLU tends to wash out colors, black backgrounds are more like medium grey than black on the FLU. the lighting is also not even and suffers from the "trapezoid effect" which is a bright spot trapezoidal in shape. Example: The GBA-SP is a FLU type.

The BLU has better contrast and deeper richer colors. The lighting is also even across the screen with no trapezoid. Black backgrounds are near black, they are a very dark grey. Example: PDAs like the pocket PCs, and Sony Clie, Palm Tungsten etc. are backlit.

It has been said that you can shut off the light in the BLU when in lit areas to save power. I would get the BLU.

Black backgrounds are a medium-grey? I don't notice any colors washed on my FLU. The blacks look pretty darn black to me! Get the BLU if you can afford it, however, if you are a little shy, just go with the FLU.

Pure black is like the "holy gray" ;) of the display devices, including paper and cloth. Because in pure black no photon are reflected. With a light over the display there are lots of photons as you might imagine, with backlit and in a dark room things get better.

Pure black is like the "holy gray" ;) of the display devices, including paper and cloth. Because in pure black no photon are reflected. With a light over the display there are lots of photons as you might imagine, with backlit and in a dark room things get better.
Holy Grail?

Maybe it's just mine, but all the colors look perfect to me. They only look washed out if you're looking at a picture or video of the FLU.

Pure black is like the "holy gray"  ;)  of the display devices, including paper and cloth. Because in pure black no photon are reflected. With a light over the display there are lots of photons as you might imagine, with backlit and in a dark room things get better.
Holy Grail?

Maybe it's just mine, but all the colors look perfect to me. They only look washed out if you're looking at a picture or video of the FLU.
yes holy grail sorry, but it was fun...

My BLU will arrive later this week, then I'll talk more about the "black factor" :D

I supose next week the BLU will flood this board ;)

EDIT: Speaking about displays, the new SONY VAIO A Series notebooks have AMAZING LCD screens, amazing... you just have to see to believe, its some Sony tech like the black triniton but for lcd's, an image quality like never before, best display I ever seen.

Holy Grail?

*All* frontlit technologies wash out the colors and have poor black levels. Your FLU does too you are just used to it. The best way to see the difference is look at a laptop computer LCD and hold the FLU next to it then compare black levels. You would surely see a big difference in contrast and black levels.

Holy Grail?

*All* frontlit technologies wash out the colors and have poor black levels. Your FLU does too you are just used to it. The best way to see the difference is look at a laptop computer LCD and hold the FLU next to it then compare black levels. You would surely see a big difference in contrast and black levels.
I also didn't notice any washed out colors when I first got it. Maybe I'm not that picky?

I did mention something shortly about the BLU in the FAQ, but since it hasn't been released in any English-speaking countries yet, I thought it best to wait before putting anything in there.

And yes someone will add in that GP Cinema is free. I wasn't here when that happened, so I need to do some archive searching so I don't say something stupid ;)

Back